Sign in to follow this  
cwen

New scorpion xt 1501 Review

Wow! Comes with a price tag, but the smoohest reel have ever used for pitching. It is the new curado on steroids. I was about to get a zillion, tried one, didn't think it performed that great for the $ and someone emailed me a link. I didn't even know shimano had a new scorpion out. iown three of the older ones and love them. Glad i didn't pull the handle on the zillion. Pitches lures effortlessly.

isnt that the JDM version of the Curado E ?

yep...

you just have a purplish curado there bud that im sure you paid more money for.

Casts much better than the curado. I put the curado and scorpion on the two identicle rods with identicle lures and set the brakes up identically. Sorry to those who like the green one, but get more than 10 feet difference in casting. As far as pitching goes, it is much smoother because I did the same thing for pitching with the same line as well.

$75 for a purple paint job and 10 ft?

Didn't pay a cent, like the purple, and I use it for pitching which out did the curado by way more than 10 feet. Can pitch 50 feet with the lure inches off the ground. The curado, not nearly as well. I am not saying I don't like the curado, I own 20 of them, 4 new ones, but I use the scorpion for pitching and they are much better. The spool spins much faster on the initial 40 feet or so which is why they are better for that application.

Shimano200903.JPG

You and your fishing partner are standing on the boat right next to each other, you see this really kool stump with a sign " Big momma bass is here" the boat approaches to the stump and both cast at the same time, you got the Mean Purple, your pal got the Mean Green, baits fly in mid air, baits land but your bait lands right next to the stump and you catch big momma  :D, your pal looks at you  >:( cuz his bait landed ten feet short from the stump.

That 's worth more than 75 dollars.

Shimano200903.JPG

You and your fishing partner are standing on the boat right next to each other, you see this really kool stump with a sign " Big momma bass is here" the boat approaches to the stump and both cast at the same time, you got the Mean Purple, your pal got the Mean Green, baits fly in mid air, baits land but your bait lands right next to the stump and you catch big momma :D, your pal looks at you >:( cuz his bait landed ten feet short from the stump.

That 's worth more than 75 dollars.

I don't ever pitch from that kind of range though. I have never had to pitch more than 30 ft and I can do that easily with a Citica instead of a $300+ reel

The Curado shines once the grease is removed from the bearings.  A good strip, clean and relube will work wonders.

The new scorpion doesn't cost over $300. Plus if you have ever fished waters where you have 40 + feet of visibility you need to get as far back from the target as possible.

@ Raul , I know you always have a lot of info on the JDM reels so what are the specific differences between the 2,  I only ask because I was about to get the Curado 200e

Thanks!

Dan

The new scorpion doesn't cost over $300. Plus if you have ever fished waters where you have 40 + feet of visibility you need to get as far back from the target as possible.

If I need longer range and a quite delivery I just use a soft sidearm lob.

Bait Monkey Point 1: I already love Curados

Bait Monkey Point 2: Purple is my favorite color

Ohhhh boy. Where does one buy a purple people eater? Seriously, I want to know.

I imagine it might look good on a Mojo but a reel in that class probably deserves something the bait monkey would approve. ;D

I understand that Dan, but i use braid with all my pitching set-ups with a fluro leader that is between 4-6 feet. I don't like to cast jigs/plastics because the know frays when it hits the guides. To each his own. I am just stating that for the applications i use in the way i use them, the reel is the best I have used. I have had reels that cost $50-$300 and this ne is by far the best. I understand that people can pay too much. I once bought an older curado and a chonarch when I started fishing about 6 years ago and i knew nothing about reels. The older green curado casted equally as far as the chronarch so I retunred the chronarch and stuck with the curado. I am very specific about what I use so I want the best that I can afford. As far as my scorpion goes, I fish waters that have a lot of docks and I don't use spinning reels so I need the best reel I can for skipping docks with a baitcaster and the new scorpion will do the job.

@ Raul , I know you always have a lot of info on the JDM reels so what are the specific differences between the 2, I only ask because I was about to get the Curado 200e

Thanks!

Dan

I 've owned enough JDMs to tell you that some differences can easily be detected ( spool, knobs, handles ) others are harder to spot, different type of bearings between one and another, different spool bayonet ( different material ) are what makes one perform different from the other.

I 'm not going to say the JDM version is "better" than the domestic version specially when the domestic version is great, JDM is different and performs different, it 's up to you to decide which one is "better".

But "different performance" has a price, sometimes is monetary, other times is untangible ( what you loose ), you get a JDM or any other import for that matter and you begin with no warranty in your country, no backup, no available parts immediately for repairs and the list goes on, that 's some of the things you loose.So it 's up to you if you are willing to pay the price.

I don 't recommend getting a JDM unless you are willing to sacrifice something or if you can find a JDM at a killer price, you were thinking about getting the Curado I say: by all means get it, I 'm impressed with the reel, excellent choice and if given the case you want to improve the reel 's performance you can always tweak it a little bit ( polishing parts, cleaning, different lubricants are relatively simple solutions that can make a reel perform above it 's "limits" ).

If it offers a noticeable advancement in techniques that you use then that's great. I'm not being a stick in the mud, I just don't think it would be worth it to me because of the way I fish. I have to say if it was black like it looks in some pictures, I might consider it on looks alone.

If it offers a noticeable advancement in techniques that you use then that's great. I'm not being a stick in the mud, I just don't think it would be worth it to me because of the way I fish. I have to say if it was black like it looks in some pictures, I might consider it on looks alone.

sounds like someone is coming around ;)jk man

I think most guys will be 100% satisfied with all aspects of the

Curado 200 E7. I have a few JDM reels and the performance of

the Curado is "comparable". For a lot more money, you get a little

more, but it's subtle, not dramatic.

8-)

RW understands the concept of diminishing returns, I understand it too.

For you who don 't understand it let me give you an example with a sport where winning or loosing can be measured in tenths of second, racing is such a sport, yes, human factor plays a role, strategy plays a role but technollogy plays a huge role in how the car performs and performance means speed and speed means less time.

In theory all racing cars ( example F1 cars ) are equal, regulations make them be equal, I said "equal" but not identical, every minimal modification the designers and engineers do to the car has a direct impact on how fast the car can go, in between the regulations there are grey areas where enhancements can be made without breaking the regulations, designers and engineers focus on those grey areas and work on them to make the car go faster; the body is designed to offer minimal air resistance while providing the maximum down force ( what makes the car stick to the road ) and at the same time provide the engine with cooling and more air for the engine to breath ( more air in the engine means more oxygen and better combustion ) and so on.

But that research and developments doesn 't come cheap, for every tenth of a second of improvement in the performance you have to dump in massive ammounts of money.

The same example can be applied to reels, those extra 2,3 or more feet in casting distance makes one reel cost in this case 70 dollars more.

Rods can be another example, that extra sensitivity ( like GLX vs IMX ) and those few grams less in weight cost you more.

The difference is like RW said: subtle but not dramatic when you get to that point. So it really boils down to personal preference ( what you want and how much are you willing to spend ) because it 's going to cost you. With the product as it is you 'll be 100% satisfied, you want it to perform above what you are getting you will have to spend more.

Good ups cwen.

I was in the market for either the Curado 201 E7 or the Scorpion 1501-7 XT to put on my Cumara, which will then be used as my new pitching set up. I'm glad to finally hear someone's review on the Scorpion and the differences it bears from the Curado. I think I will be picking up the Scorpion and mounting it on to my Cumara and hopefully it will turn out to be a great pitching set up.

ScorpCuma.jpg

Been fishing this set up for about a month now and wow... It's lethal.  I spooled on some 20 lb Sufix braid and used it for practically everything and it handled them like a dream.  Only thing I would argue is that I don't see much of a difference in pitching distance between this reel and the Curado E or even the Citica E (when 1/4 oz or heavier lures are used).  When pitching a weightless senko the difference FOR ME, is maybe 5 ft or even less.  But still, I like this reel and am very satisfied with it's performance.

[ When pitching a weightless senko the difference FOR ME, is maybe 5 ft or even less.

That 's the point, you are gaining 5 ft in casting distance with the same effort. For some those 5 ft maybe are not worth the extra cash the reel is worth, for others those 5 ft is worth the cash, you bait gets there before your partner 's bait does.