Sign in to follow this  
BigOleBob

Best for the money

Going up north to the cabin for a week to do some fishing. Want to start learning how to fish soft plastics as I was taught mainly with spinnerbaits and cranks. Going to Cabelas or Gander Mountain and just want to know what rod will be well suited for plastics and not cost too much. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Not sure what your price range is but my suggestion is the Quantum Energy PT 7' MH (model QEC706F). I bought one back in the spring for t-rigging and I love it!

If you cant give the specific name of the rod, then whats the best Action? Length? any advice will be better than what i know haha!

Probably the best buy is one of their house brands on sale.

The rod should be 6 1/2' or 7', Medium Power/ Fast Action,

spinning or baitcasting, whichever you prefer.

8-)

I agree with RW that you should probably buy a housebrand rod.

A 6'6" MH should get you headed in the right place.

I'm currently using a Gander MTN Pro Select for plastics. It is a 7' MH, model GMPS-701MHC-SP. It has worked very well for me. I believe the Pro Selects run about $60.

If you can swing it, i would recommend a St. Croix Mojo rod. The 7' MH/F specifically. It is a very nice rod for plastics and very versatile for other lures as well!

Well while I'm on the topic, I will ask nooby question #2!

The lake I'll be on is in northern Minnesota and the lake is very weedy throughout and I'll be fishing thick lily pads and bull rush.... my question is, which will be better suited Monofilament line or Fluorocarbon?

I dont know much about Fluorocarbon as I've used almost exclusivly braided lines since I started bass fishing again. Is it right that braided lines aren't sensitive enough for soft plastics? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Well while I'm on the topic, I will ask nooby question #2!

The lake I'll be on is in northern Minnesota and the lake is very weedy throughout and I'll be fishing thick lily pads and bull rush.... my question is, which will be better suited Monofilament line or Fluorocarbon?

I dont know much about Fluorocarbon as I've used almost exclusivly braided lines since I started bass fishing again. Is it right that braided lines aren't sensitive enough for soft plastics? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Where did you get that idea about braid not being sensitive , that is 100 % wrong . Braid is what you want to use where you'll be fishing .

Using 50# braid wouldn't hurt either.