Sign in to follow this  
Stasher1

Favorite rod length/power/action for hard jerkbaits?

I've been using a 7' Kistler M/MF composite cranking rod, and it's been working fine but I'm curious what everybody else is using for their hard jerkbaits.

Shimano Compre 6'6" medium rod with fast tip, model CPC66MB. Works great with a Rapala X-Rap #08!!! I'm loving the action it gives me. This is not the cranking version of this rod, it's a straight up IM-8 graphite rod.

At first I thought I needed some kind of cranking rod cause the bait has trebles on it but I didn't want the rod quite as soft as that would have been. So I just backed the drag on my casting reel off just a little bit and then it was perfect for setting the hook and not tearing out the trebles. I use it for crankbaits also.

I use Cabelas Fish Eagle II Med 6'6'' with a trion cranking reel and 10lb mono

For a casting rod, my 6'3" Steez is hard to beat, but I do fish jerkbaits more with a spinning rod. I learned to fish a rogue with a spinning rod back in the day, and have used one ever since. I won a club tournament back in '05 throwing an x-rap with my spinning rod and light fluorocarbon. This was very clear water, and a cold front had just passed through. I feel my 6lb fluorocarbon was the key. Until last year, I used a 6' medium action Avid paired with a Stradic. Now I use a Loomis SJR722c paired with a Daiwa TD Advantage. I'm here to tell you; try throwing a jerkbait with light fluorocarbon.  You will get more bites and a challenge at the same time.

Are you related to Muddy??   ;D  That rod/reel choice sounds like his setup (unless he's changed since I was on here last year).

St. Croix Avid AVC66MF. This rod is firm enough to work topwater

lures and jerkbaits precisely, but has a soft tip to absorb shock

and surge. This is an important advantage when fishing treble

hooks.

8-)

mbr782...just one more variation on the m/f theme.

fwiw, have also used the longer version of natural's sjr722 (sjr782)...as much a winner as the casting version.

I use a 7' MF for my hard jerkbaits also.

Falcon

I think over the past few weeks I have handled just about every topwater jerkbait rod from Cabella brand to Shimano, Loomis, Avid... ended up settling on another Kistler Argon... I just love this series of rods, not to mention I got it brand new shipped for $135.

Kistler Argon AFCB69C 6'9 M/MF

Casting: 6'10''MH Carrot Stix Gold with a Daiwa Sol

Spinning: 7'M Damiki Dark Angel with a Quantum Energy PTi-A 30

6' MH Shimano Convergence.    I don't like my rod taking up too much of what I'm trying to put into the bait.  Jerkin' is hard work and softer rods make it harder work yet, for me.  This is also a technique that I don't feel the need for a expensive, super sensitive rod, so this old Convergence works well for me.

Are you related to Muddy?? ;D That rod/reel choice sounds like his setup (unless he's changed since I was on here last year).

Yes I am related to Muddy he is my Uncle and my cousin. LOL The great Pa you never know. JK we are very good freinds he has taken me under his wing and taught me alot. He actualy gave me a combo a few years back and turned me on to bassin. I use to fish with my dad as a kid and now I am back in buisness. ;D :)

So what gear ratios do you guys prefer for jerk baits?

For a casting rod, my 6'3" Steez is hard to beat, but I do fish jerkbaits more with a spinning rod. I learned to fish a rogue with a spinning rod back in the day, and have used one ever since. I won a club tournament back in '05 throwing an x-rap with my spinning rod and light fluorocarbon. This was very clear water, and a cold front had just passed through. I feel my 6lb fluorocarbon was the key. Until last year, I used a 6' medium action Avid paired with a Stradic. Now I use a Loomis SJR722c paired with a Daiwa TD Advantage. I'm here to tell you; try throwing a jerkbait with light fluorocarbon. You will get more bites and a challenge at the same time.

So why do you find that using a light Fluro is better for jerks?  I assume you put a barrel swivel on the line then to rid of the spin in the line.  

Thanks guys. I've got a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and was thinking about buying a new jerkbait rod, but after reading your responses I think I have it covered with the rods I already own but rarely use. :)

Maybe I'll just put the money into the neglected VW project in my garage instead.

I use two different stick - depending on the technique I'm using.  

For jerking, I use my Fenwick HMG 6'6" medium (GT66M).  Like RW's Avid, it's stiff enough for good jerking, with enough softness for trebles.  The handle is short for precise, one handed work.

For ripping, I use my Fenwick HMG 7'0" medium (GT70M).  It has the stiffness and softness of the 6'6" rod, but it has a much longer handle.  I like that because I like to bury the butt end into my side and elbow, and make nice long sweeps.

Realistically, I'd tie a hard jerk to any rod that might be available in my 6-place rod-holder.

Given a choice however, I'd go with a 6-ft rod, because I mostly use hard jerkbaits during the pre-spawn,

when water temperatures are low (the longer the rod, the higher the speed of the jerk).

As for blank power, nearly all my tackle is Med-Hvy spinning, but this is dictated by the potential size of bass

and the heavy cover that abounds year-round (I use braid of course).

Roger