Sign in to follow this  
Goose52

BPS 2010 BC Reel Lineup

Got the 2010 BPS catalog today and there are some significant changes in the price structure and a few additions/deletions in the higher-end BC reels:

Johnny Morris Gold reels reduced from $270 to $170 (regular price - not a sale price) :D

Johnny Morris Signatures reduced from $180 to $120

New to the lineup - the Carbonlite reel (6.7oz) - $120 (I will be getting one of these when they go on sale)

The Prolite Finesse is dropped - I guess replaced by the larger, but same weight, Carbonlite (It would be nice if they would come out with a narrow spool version of the Carbonlite and knock a bit more weight out of the reel when you don't need 125 yards of 12lb)

The "new" RCX Power Fishing reel replacing the Rick Clunn reel. The RCX is the same price ($110), with the same weight and feature set as the RC reel - just a different color (purple) - don't know if the internals are the same (Note that the RC reels are still on closeout at $90)

Pro Qualifier - same price ($100) - and with the new 4.7 and 5.2 ratios as was announced on another thread in this forum. The 6.4 and 7.1 ratio PQs are still on sale at $80.

Extreme - Same price ($80) and looks like the same line-up

And the rest....didn't pay attention...

Hmmm - I wonder if at the new prices more people might be interested in the Johnny Morris reels (instead of bashing them ;D).

Thanks for the heads up Goose. Probably have my catalog tomorrow. $100 dollar drop in the 2 top of the line, makes you wonder.

Yep - unless they had a tremendous margin before on the JM Gold - you wonder how they shaved $100 out of the reel. Still, the specs read the same as the 2009 model and both JMs seem to be great values.  For me, I'm sticking with the PQs (except for getting a Carbonlite).

Hmmm - I wonder if at the new prices more people might be interested in the Johnny Morris reels (instead of bashing them ;D).

Nope.

Same reels at a lower price.

::D

Nope.

Same reels at a lower price.

:;)

I knew it wouldn't be "all people" - perhaps just "more" ...! :D

RW I will say this; you are consistent. You never miss a chance at taking a shot. Glenn always preaches the gospel of not bashing the stuff other folks use. It is a policy I support. I wish you did the same.

Thanks for the heads-up Goose. 8-)I have not received the new catalog. I don't think the Cabonlite reel is available in LH, so I will have to wait to try one.

...I have not received the new catalog. I don't think the Cabonlite reel is available in LH, so I will have to wait to try one.

Right now, the Carbonlite is only available as a RH in 6.4 ratio. They have sold-out twice and taken it off their web site each time. It's back on the web site now for the third time. Hopefully, they'll come out with a broader CL line-up. As always with BPS reels, I will be waiting for the eventual sale...

RW I will say this; you are consistent. You never miss a chance at taking a shot. Glenn always preaches the gospel of not bashing the stuff other folks use. It is a policy I support. I wish you did the same.

Thanks for the heads-up Goose. 8-)I have not received the new catalog. I don't think the Cabonlite reel is available in LH, so I will have to wait to try one.

and it's not like he's using Daiwa or Abu http://www.bassresource.com/fishing-forum/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

Im not for or against BPS reels so please dont bash me.  I used to own a BPS Morris Signature Series and still own 1 ProQualifier.  Their products are ok for the money but they are proprietiary and you never know who is actually making the reel and you can usually find an equal or better quality reel made by a reel company for close to the same $$$.

I dont think RW is bashing BPS products, in fact he was defending BPS in another post earlier today.

I have a older Extrem, adjustment tolerences aren't great, but it works fine.

My Son has the Johnny Morris...and it works great, really smooth for that price range..So no, they do make some decent reels.

I also have a Chronarch...are those 2 reels close in terms of performance...no, but the Morris should be a nice addition to anyones collection imho.

Haven't gotten the new catalog yet but those price drops!!.

The only issue I have with the Johnny Morris reels is the size, more like a 200 series Curado and weight in the case of the signature series reels (too heavy).

Otherwise they're fine baitcasting reels which will last you a long time.

Kmac,

I think you are reading into it a little. RW is like me in the sense that a reel's price doesn't figure into whether or not I'm interested in it. If I like it, based on specs, feel, weight, etc. I'll buy it (or several) but if a reel I didn't like suddenly went $100 off, the savings doesn't change the reel... just the price paid which over a reel's life isn't high anyway.

RW is pretty consistent in what he likes and recommends... I think any real "bashing" you saw has been kidding with friends.

im heading up to bass pro this weekend and im getting the bass pro shops RCX rod and reel combo. i have looked at it and it looks legit :D

It's hard to beat the new carbonlite for the price. I hope they didn't put crappy bearings in it to save money.

There is a distinct difference in the bearings of their lower reels compared to the nicer ones.

I guess it wasn't popular, but I would have liked to see a 7.1 Pro Lite. That would have been the perfect reel to me.

(probably because I haven't used other reels that cast light stuff-sol, CoreMG50, Pixy)

It's hard to beat the new carbonlite for the price. I hope they didn't put crappy bearings in it to save money.

There is a distinct difference in the bearings of their lower reels compared to the nicer ones.

I guess it wasn't popular, but I would have liked to see a 7.1 Pro Lite. That would have been the perfect reel to me.

(probably because I haven't used other reels that cast light stuff-sol, CoreMG50, Pixy)

Let's hope the internals of the Carbonlite are as good or better than the Pro Qualifier - if so, I will be a happy camper.

On the ProLite, looks like it's gone and BPS must be thinking the Carbonlite is the replacement. I would think (hope) that they will be expanding the Carbonlite model line to include left-handed and a 7.1 ratio. However, while about the same weight as the ProLite, the Carbonlite is still a bit bigger and won't palm as nicely as the ProLite. I'm glad I got my 2009 model ProLite before they were gone...and I should have gotten two!

i was thinking about the johnny morris series myself but still not sure i myself too do like the rcx but that could be it stands out. but than again i might just go with carbonlite or another pro qualifier down the road i have some time to think about it anyways