Sign in to follow this  
broncoboxer

Best knot for braid?

I need help, guys. Lures keep breaking off at the knot when I use Spiderwire Stealth (6 lb diameter, 20 lb test).

I use the same knot (improved clinch knot) for monofilament and have no problems there.

Any suggestions?

Never used that line and you didn't mention what knot you use. I can say that the Palomar with 15# Power Pro has never broken on me.

I use Spiderwire Stealth in 30lb and a Palomar always works for me. The Palomar is said to be one of the best knots for braid ...

Regarding tieing on directly to a bait, I often have a problem with managing to get the palomar loop over some baits and in those cases I use a palomar to tie on a snap (yikes, the purists will get me for that - limiting the action of the bait and all ...).

The only knot I've ever used is the Palomar.  Its quick, easy, and strong.  I really dont see any reason for using anything but a Palomar.

The only knot I've ever used is the Palomar. Its quick, easy, and strong. I really dont see any reason for using anything but a Palomar.

Second that, you ever try using knot glue?

I have always used the palomar too but go through the loop twice before going around the bait. I also tie a knot in the tag end in case of slippage. I also like the line going through the eye twice. Might be superstitious ...

I had a magazine that had a knot that I think Gary Klein used but for the life of me I can't find it. It appeared to pretty simple too and he used it only on braid. 

Looks like it's time for me to learn the Palomar knot.  I've always used an improved clinch knot.

By the way, doesn't the drop-shot rig use a Palomar?  If so, there's yet another reason for me to learn it.

I've been testing both leader knots as well as straight braid tie knots for the past several weeks. So far the best I've found are the Palomars (single or double versions) as well as the double line 5 turn uni knot. Most others are highly suspect, though I obviously can't test every knot. Braid is pretty unforgiving under pressure when it comes to knots.

-T9

Looks like it's time for me to learn the Palomar knot. I've always used an improved clinch knot.

By the way, doesn't the drop-shot rig use a Palomar? If so, there's yet another reason for me to learn it.

The Palomar is a Must for ds'n... :)

My leader to 55# braid is a double uni, 6 twist's on the braid, 8 twist's on the 12# fluro..hasn't failed me yet.. :)

I've been testing both leader knots as well as straight braid tie knots for the past several weeks. So far the best I've found are the Palomars (single or double versions) as well as the double line 5 turn uni knot. Most others are highly suspect, though I obviously can't test every knot. Braid is pretty unforgiving under pressure when it comes to knots.

-T9

I used 30lb stealth spiderwire all season with plain old palomar knot to fish Spro frogs caught a lot of fish never had that knot fail me.

I use 10# braid to a leader(ordinary cinch knot)leader to lure using a loop knot 100% of the time, use same knots in saltwater with no knot failure, as long as it's tied correctly.  Singeing the tag end puts a little bead on it, will never pull thru, tip I picked up from a saltwater guide.

Looks like it's time for me to learn the Palomar knot. I've always used an improved clinch knot.

By the way, doesn't the drop-shot rig use a Palomar? If so, there's yet another reason for me to learn it.

Yes it does.

There is no easier knot to tie than the Palomar. Your learning effort should be approximately 3 minutes.

Do a You-tube search on drop shot and you'll see a bunch of vids showing them using the Palomar to set it up.

I use both PowerPro and Spiderwire Stealth. I always use the Palomar knot and have never had a knot problem at all.

Remember, no matter which knot you use braid can make any knot "go critical" due to the same reason we like it for sensitivity - lack of stretch. This is especially true for the smaller diameters.

So if you use a fast-action and/or heavy-power rod, something still has to give, somewhere. I make sure my drag slips a little on hooksets or... snap!

I've used 30lb. Spidr Wire and had the same problem to a point, but with the right drag you don't have to worry. Also, use a seven turn clinch knot instead of the typical five turn. Less chance of the knot slippin'.