Sign in to follow this  
Mr Jenkins

In search of the perfect spinnerbait rod

Just what the message says throw in your points and views. Getting ready to make a purchase lets see how close you guys come in on what ive decided to buy!!!!

This is what I use:

For everything 1/2 oz and under: St. Croix Avid AVC70MF

For heavier spinnerbaits: St. Croix Legend Elite 70MHF

8-)

Loomis SBR 813 - for the 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz spinnerbaits I like to throw it's absolutely perfect.

In search of the perfect spinnerbait rod

You'll find it in my rod box  ;)

6'6" or 7' medium fast action.  I like the 7 citrus stick for this, but they don't carry a 6'6" model yet, so I use a falcon.  Not sure the model but its 6'6" medium fast.

I generaly fish smaller spinnerbaits, 3/8 or less, but usually around a 1/4 so these rods are perfect.

Castaway Spinnerbait rods.

I don't think you need the "perfect spinnerbait rod" to throw spinnerbaits, but I also think it depends on what you like to throw, and where.  I toss smaller baits with an Avid AVC62MXF, in a style I would call "sniper spinnerbaiting," targeting small holes in weeds, dock pilings, and other cover.  For most other spinnerbait work, like burning and slow rolling, A St. Croix LTB70MF works fine.  For stroking truly huge and heavy spinnerbaits, an Avid AVC70MHF works great.

I use a 6' Medium/Heavy Fast action that I built. I like the shorter rod for accuracy and low, under hand casts for a quiet entry.

Power Tackle Paragon 6' 10" MH MF. I use this for 3/8-3/4 spinnerbaits. Works for me. Also doubles as a deep cranking rod when needed.

defining the perfect rod for spinnerbaits is much harder than for other techniques where preferences are more universal. for spinnerbaits, some fishermen like 'em with mod actions, some like 'em fast and some like 'em extra fast. personally, i think the g.loomis SBR-813C spinnerbait rod is perfect for me...it is rated as extra-fast but it feel more like a fast to me. i want the tip to flex enough for the bass to inhale the spinnerbait but stiff enough for me to get a immediate hookset.

One perfect spinnerbait rod would be very tough... I toss spinnerbaits from 1/4 oz. to 2oz. and use several different rods.

Overall though, for most 3/8 to 1/2 oz spinnerbaits, I'm a big fan of the MBR 783 GLX or the MBR 843 GLX...

guys i appreciate all the info i guess i shoulda mentioned to that i was just wanting a fan caster something for quick accurate throws , I kow some of the rods some of you guys mentioned are way to long-large for that application but nonetheless i appreciate all the comments