Sign in to follow this  
maineman

80 dollar spinning reel and 240 dollar rod?

Thar is and old saying in hunting your better of with a 100$ gun and a 400$ scope than vice versa . What is your thoughts in rod combo's ;) 

No problem here. I use a $100 spinning reel on a $400 spinning rod.

I guess it depends on the fish you're after and the technique you're using. Sometimes, it's all about the sensitivity of the rod and less the reel. Sometimes, it's more about the reel - drag strength and smoothness, line capacity, etc. Sometimes it's both.

As it turns out, I actually have a baitcasting rig right now that almost matches your thread title - I have a Loomis GLX MBR842 ... with a BPS ProQualifier reel. The big bucks are for the sensitivity of the rod - the reel will do the job I need it to do OK as well...

I dont know anything about hunting or guns.

I do however have a $35 spinning reel on my $260 dropshot rod. I didn't pay retail on the rod of course.

The drags are smooth and the reel is smooth. In a spinning reel what else do you need? Oh thats right I have 15lb braid and 4' FC leader. No line twist on the braid and it gives me extra sensitivity.

It really doesn't matter, which is the nice thing about fishing. You can pursue and be successful with most any type of setup. I've got 2 matching crappie outfits that have $110 reels on $240 custom rods - huge overkill but I absolutely love catching crappie on them  8-) On the other hand, I caught hundreds of bass this fall with a 12 year old Daiwa spinning reel that I found out was worth about $30 today, rigged on a $40 Berkley Lightning rod. The fish didn't care, and neither did I  ;D

-T9

Yup, nothing wrong with it. I have a $100 Supreme on a $300 rod and it works perfect for me.

Its all about what works for you.

one of my guilty pleasures is a zebco omega on an mbr782 imx.

i follow one constant in life...fish with whatever makes you smile.

I was using a $35 abu on an expensive rod the last 3 years, the reel was perfect and smooth as can be, but I wanted to upgrade so I did.  My new purchase was 5 times more, I favor the abu  ;)

My Daiwa Exceler is my most used spinning reel (~$80).  The Exceler is a fantastic performer, Cabela's Prodigy (by Daiwa) is a step up and a great deal when on sale.  The next step up is the Daiwa Tierra and it is super smooth.

If you are seeking the best rod values, some great $200 rods have recently been clearanced at close to 50% off, (Fenwick Techna AV, All Star Platinum, various Kistlers).  If you are flexible, stay patience and do the research, there are some great deals.

For a baitcasting setup, I would spend more on the reel, but I don't see the need to spend $200 on a spinning reel.

Leon

I'm on the other side of the coin. On average, my

reels represent about 2/3 the cost of a rig. Reels

are what make "fishing" fun!

I am especially particular with spinning gear. This

is what I primarily use when smallmouth fishing.

An exceptional drag is key to controlling the surge

when the fish nears the boat. Just "anything" won't

do.

8-)

I'm on the other side of the coin. On average, my

reels represent about 2/3 the cost of a rig. Reels

are what make "fishing" fun!

I am especially particular with spinning gear. This

is what I primarily use when smallmouth fishing.

An exceptional drag is key to controlling the surge

when the fish nears the boat. Just "anything" won't

do.

Maybe this perspective is why RW uses "pounds" to describe his typical lunker and I have to use "grams" to measure my usual dinks. ;D ;) ;D

Admittedly, I haven't had a need for an exceptional drag, but fishing from the banks I value casting distances so that I can reach distant structure -- sometimes I find my 280 gram (10 oz.) monsters way out there ;D ;D

Maybe this perspective is why RW uses "pounds" to describe his typical lunker and I have to use "grams" to measure my usual dinks. ;D ;) ;D

There ain 't nuthin ' wrong about catching dinks with a 200 dollars plus reel and a 250 dollars plus rod....

My typical rig has a rod and reel that are in about the same price range. Wasn't really the plan...it just worked out that way. 

All my spinning reels are Pflueger Supremes (retail price is $99), which I think are a great buy at that price and they are strapped to G Loomis rods that range in retail price from $245 to $395.

I would go with a more expensive rod. I made the mistake and got all expensive reels.Cause think about it. You don't feel the fish with your reel do you? No! You feel with the rod. You want the most sensitive rod you can get!

All my spinning reels are Pflueger Supremes (retail price is $99), which I think are a great buy at that price and they are strapped to G Loomis rods that range in retail price from $245 to $395.

I really like the Supreme too...It's probably not the absolute best spinning reel but I'd have a hard time finding better at $99.

I might however get a president for my next Loomis rod for tubes. The rod won't be the lightest thing, and maybe the heavier reel will make it less tip heavy.

To the OP, nothing wrong with that.

The rod can help you catch more fish. The reel just needs to not break and not backlash (or twist line for spinning reels). A god rod, IMO can contribute directly to more landed fish.

I noticed alot of the Pros prefer to back-reel their spinning reels when they have a big one near the boat on lighter tackle.  Can't say I've tried it myself, however.

There ain 't nuthin ' wrong about catching dinks with a 200 dollars plus reel and a 250 dollars plus rod....

Sometimes I think Raul moonlights as the BaitMonkey ;D ;D

Scientists use placebos to check and balance new drugs, try it with rods. In the fishing world I can tell you my reels dont allow me to catch fish, the rods let me know they are there!  I had a high dollar reel on a middle of the road rod, I caught fish...  I put that same reel on a high dollar rod, i caught all the fish... ;)