Sign in to follow this  
Carrington

Line for Crankbait

I was if i should use 12-14lb fluro or 20-30lb braid on my crankbait reel and rod.

I don't know...I am jumping head first into cranking this year and I will be using 12# fluorocarbon....If not 10#

ya im thinking of using #12 fluro but im not sure if braid is better or not

from my short experience i preffer mono or fluoro, with braid it sem that i allwasy yank the bait out of thhe fishes mouth, mono has more strech and give the fish a chance to inhale the bait, i switched my baitcaster over to Fluoro and i think it gives me the best inbetween feeling for my allaround fishing rod, its sensitive and still has some strech so i just gotta remember to set the hook a lil less abruptly that with mono

im using #12 berkley vanish, i know a lot of people hate vanish but i like it, ranted i havent tried any other fluoro, but i like it more than mono or power pro.

I like fluoro for plastics or spinnerbaits, but I stick with 12# Sufix Elite (mono) for cranks.

thankyou for the information brujo

I've read a lot about this on the forum.

I used flouro last year because I figured I would have more sensitivity with the bait.

The reviews seem be mixed on the subject, you will see almost an even split of flouro, mono, and braid.

I recently read that Mike Ike says he uses mono for anything that has treble hooks.

I'm thinking I may try good ole' mono this year.

Just my opinion.

I very rarely use mono anymore. For most of my cranking I use either 10-12# Trilene 100% fluoro. On deep cranks, I sometimes switch to 20# power pro to help my bait get deeper.

With a soft rod 10 to 12# fluoro. Stiffer rod 10 to 12# easy casting mono. Fluoro will help get a bit deeper mono's stretch will help with hook ups.

To really answer this question, need more information.  Are you deep cranking points with minimal obstructions?  10 pound fluorocarbon is probably your best compromise. 

Are you throwing half ounce square bills 4-5 feet down around stumps and lay downs, and thorn bushes?  17 or 20 pound line is a better choice.

Are you throwing half ounce rattle traps on grass flats?  I like 20 pound line for this just because you don't have to re-tie as often.

The particular situation determines line choice, IMO.  For instance, I frequently throw Timber Tiger DC16 baits into the crowns of sunken trees.  My boat is sitting in 20 feet of water, for the most part the trees are broke off at the water level, yet underwater there is a maze of branches.  For this application, I use 17 or 20 lb line.  I think the bait gets maybe 9 or 10 feet down in this application.  The fish are much more likely to be suspended in the branches than down underneath near the bottom.  At least that's been my experience.

Basically the rule is thinner line gets you deeper, thicker line is more abrasion resistant and saves you baits from time to time.

Berkley used to make a copolymer like called Iron Silk.  It is discontinued now, but I really liked that line for crank baits.

I don't have very much experience fishing cranks with braid, so I can't speak to that very well.  The few times I tried it worked ok, until the crank got hung on something.

Getting it un-hung was a challenge.  If the lure retriever didn't work, the line was real hard to break and I cut my hand several times.   The easiest solution to this issue was to wrap the line around the boat cleat several times and back off with the trolling motor.  That worked every time, either the line would break or you'd get your lure back very quickly.  Just some of my thoughts on crankbait line.

I use 10-12lb Suffix Deep Crank or P-Line Flouro-clear for shallow-mid cranks and jerkbaits and P-line CXX 10-12lb for deep divers.

Flouro is a good idea for cranks because it sinks,so to get an extra inch or more on a diver its good.It does have some stretch but not like mono but i've learned from others on here that the stretch may keep the bait from coming out of a fishes mouth when he takes it,but the rod flex keeps 'em buttoned on.Braid from my experience likes to wrap around the hooks of a crank,and it floats,i prefer braid for single hook point applications,and mono or flouro for trebles.hope this helps.

I use 14lb berkley fireline crystal which has the diameter of 8lb mono. I like knowing if I get snagged I am not loseing a LC lure.

I typically use 12-lb. Big Game for most cranking.

If I can afford it and not get upset w/ manageability issues 10-12 lb. 100% Fluoro is great for suspending jerkbaits (and other cranks). There is no doubt that fluoro gets them down deeper.

My main use (cranking) for braid is Rattle Traps. Works great for ripping, pumping, and vegetating.

I very rarely use mono anymore. For most of my cranking I use either 10-12# Trilene 100% fluoro. On deep cranks, I sometimes switch to 20# power pro to help my bait get deeper.

You do realize that the 20 lb would not help your bait get deeper but rather keep it shallower? Ive read that the lighter lb test the line, the deeper it will go. So a 10 lb test would get you deeper than a say 16 lb test would.

You do realize that the 20 lb would not help your bait get deeper but rather keep it shallower? Ive read that the lighter lb test the line, the deeper it will go. So a 10 lb test would get you deeper than a say 16 lb test would.

That may be true for mono, but bmadd is talking about 20# Power Pro braid, which has the same diameter as 6# mono.

What is the action of your rod?  And are you missing hookups?  If your rod is a soft/slow action you will be OK with fluoro or braid as the rod will give.  But, if you rod is pretty stiff you will want some give in the line (mono) or just be really really easy on the hook sets.

IMHO, f you are missing hook sets, stay/go with - mono.  Braid or fluoro is just going to make it worse.