Sign in to follow this  
tracker01

Shimano Core 100MG or 50MG7.

Which one do "you" have, and what techniques, lures types, and lure weight range do you use it for. I want to get "one" of these reels then I will build a rod around it, so let's start with which one do you have and why?

Thanks for your opinion.

I have one of each. The 100 is on a dobyns 734c. I use that combo for big worms and plastics in more open water like ledges, humps, brush piles etc. I also throw some jigs on it but it's not my main jig rod.

My 50 is on my dobyns 703 right now. I use it for pitching lighter plastics and swim jigs in shallower water. It's more of a pinpoint pitching setup for me.

Both reels are great for all around use and can really do everything you need perfectly except deep cranking. The 50 really, really shines at pitching though.

I have the 100 with the flipping switch and I love it. I use it for pitching with 30lb power pro with a fluo leader. Had the 50 in y hands today. I will be buying 2 with cumara reaction rods for crankbaits and spinnerbaits. If you are flipping and pitching i would suggest a 100 flipping. Amazing reel

Have both, I use the 100 on my jig rod and the 50 for texas rigs and smaller creature type baits.

I find both great for pitching or casting.

Stick it on a light rod and you can fish it all day, feels like air in your hands.

Ive had both the 100 and the 50 and still own the 50.  IMHO they are very different reels.  The 50 is much lighter and more refined than the 100.  I use the 50 for a lot of different techniques.  It can handle most any lure and casts the light stuff very well.

Ive had both the 100 and the 50 and still own the 50. IMHO they are very different reels. The 50 is much lighter and more refined than the 100. I use the 50 for a lot of different techniques. It can handle most any lure and casts the light stuff very well.

I have both, like both, but prefer the 50, too!

On Steezy's advice, I matched my Core 50MG7

to a G. Loomis MBR842C...Sweet!

My 100 is saddled to a PR844C which balances

perfectly. The larger size is still light. Perhaps

it's mostly a matter of how the reels feel in your

hand.

8-)

I have held the 100Mg and was not a big fan, but I love (and own) the 50Mg and several of the 100MgFV. If you are doing any heavy cover fishing, I would greatly recommend the 100MgFV (I have this reel on my Carolina Rod, Frog Rod, Flipping Rod, and Weighted Plastics Rod). I have the 50Mg on my BCR803, which I use for smaller plastics and pitching into lighter cover or around docks. If you are going to fish a lot of lighter jigs or plastics, then the 50Mg would be perfect. I would think that your intentions for this rod you are going to build should be based upon what lures you hope to fish with it. That in turn would lead to what reel you should get.

I have both as well. The 100mg is a more all around reel. You can use it for pretty much anything except deep cranking and swimbaits. The 50mg I think shines with finesse baits. It casts light stuff really well. I have mine pared up with a dobyns 702dx and use it for shakey heads, dropshot, and tubes.  8-)