Sign in to follow this  
tracker01

The ratings on a rod....................

The ratings on the rods are confusing to me. Let's pick a GLoomis IMX 6' SJR 722, 6 to 12 pd line and 1/8 to 3/8 lure weight - IMX 6'6" SJR 782, 6 to 12 pd line and 1/8 to 3/8 lure weight. Same-o, same-o. Same lure weight and same line weight. So other than 6" in length what am I gaining ? Maybe a couple of feet in casting, anything else? I have seen 7' rods with the same ratings. Confusing.

Thanks

Maybe a little casting distance, but it's mostly

just personal preference. Some guys like 6' rods,

some guys like them longer.

8-)

Since all else is equal in this case you're right that you may gain a slight  bit in casting distance with the longer rod. RW's right that is comes down to preference in this case. Consider the application and comfort of the two lengths and make your decision based on that.

Some guys like 6' rods,

8-)

That would be me.  :)

With the ratings being identical and the only difference is length the longer rod is heavier with a thicker blank and imo has more spine to it.  We fish a sea wall and when I'm using my 7' rod I have hard time flipping the fish over the wall, when I'm using the identical rod in the 7'6 length I can flip them up much easier.

With the ratings being identical and the only difference is length the longer rod is heavier with a thicker blank and imo has more spine to it. We fish a sea wall and when I'm using my 7' rod I have hard time flipping the fish over the wall, when I'm using the identical rod in the 7'6 length I can flip them up much easier.

Bingo !

I 've got those two rods ( 722 & 782 ) and even though rated the same they don 't behave the same.

With the ratings being identical and the only difference is length the longer rod is heavier with a thicker blank and imo has more spine to it. We fish a sea wall and when I'm using my 7' rod I have hard time flipping the fish over the wall, when I'm using the identical rod in the 7'6 length I can flip them up much easier.

Exactly.  It seems like the extra 6" is all backbone.