Sign in to follow this  
Bassin for Walleye

Spinnerbait/Crankbait line

I got a new rod and reel for crankbaits/spinnerbaits/lipless baits/etc...and I grabbed some line on my way out and happened to grab some Trilene XL in 10lb test. I didn't realize until I got home that I probably just made a stupid mistake in grabbing 10lb line because it is so thin and I may be fishing around rocks 40%-50% of the time. If it is too thin I will just add a 15lb leader to it or something but what do you guys think.

Did you keep the receipt?

So, ask for an exchange.

Fish it and see what you think...You may be

pleasantly surprised!

8-)

I suggest 12lb flouro or 10lb flouro, but 10lb mono will work fine also. Are you fishing for money? I may get some flack for this comment, but it's fine. If your fishing for money go buy different line, but if for fun it won't hurt as bad if you lose a fish. Just check your line often.

Very seldom will I fish anything over 10lbs mono on my crankbait rod.  If I am fishing around a lot of cover, I may go to 12 or 14lbs, but 90% of the time I am using Trilene extra tough or something similar that is a bit more abrasion resistant.

i dont care about the running depth being super deep often so i use 17lb monofilamint.

Don't tie on a leader. That's just one more connection to fail. 10 # will work for crankbaits as long as the cover isn't too nasty. It's light for spinnerbaits. Exchange it. Almost every retailer will at least exchange w/o the receipt.

Yeah I'm just out fishing for fun and don't plan on doing any tournaments so I'll just keep it on but if I have too many break off's I'll buy some heavier and maybe put that 10lb on my panfish rod or keep the rest for backing or something.

I use 15# Big Game for spinnerbaits and 12# floro for crankbaits

T

Right now I'm using Tatsu for my crankbait rods and love it.  It's rapidly becoming my line of choice for Fluorocarbon.  My balde bait rods are spooled with either Trilene 100%, YoZuri, or AbrazX.  I guess I have one light Crank rod with InvizX, too.