Sign in to follow this  
basser223

rod for every type of fishing

I notice alot of people having rods for for each specific type of fishing like... A crankbait rod for deep crankbaits on hard cover. do you really need it? and if so why?

Yes, but not as many as most of us have.

Cranking rods are much softer (i.e. medium action, medium/moderate tip).  The reason is that with a treble hook you increase you're chance of hooking the fish if there is a delay from when the fish takes the bait, and when you feel it.  It allows the fish to get the hooks deeper in its mouth so you can get a better hookset, and the rod has more flexibility to fight the fish.  It the rod is too stiff you can easily pull/rip the lure out of the fishes mouth, or react too fast.

For bottom contact or finesse baits it is ideal to have a much stiffer rod and softer tip so that it takes minimal effort to create movement with your lure.

A stiffer rod is usually more ideal in heavier cover as well to move the fish quickly for the thick stuff.

Here ya go:

Maybe this will help:

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546

Specifically:

Technique specific rods are for "enthusiasts".

Almost all your fishing can be done with just

one rod. Beyond that, you only "need" three rods:

Spinning: 6 1/2' or 7', M or MH, Fast Action

(soft plastics and light lures)

Baitcasting: MH or H, Fast Action

(jigs, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and all single hooks)

Baitcasting: MH, Moderate Action

(all treble hook lures)

Roadwarrior hit it on the head, you only "need" three....good luck with that!

I've got one for every application, that being said, I was asked to go out this weekend for a 1 hour trip on the lake. I only grabbed 2 rods and 1 plano box, had my best night yet. You can definitely over think it.

I didn't have the option to switch back and forth. But, sometimes you gotta have options.

Its like playing golf - you can play a round of golf with a putter.  But, probably more enjoyable and a lot less trying if you have say a driver, 7 iron and a wedge.  You don't need a bag full of clubs - just like you don't need a boat/garage full of rods - but it does have its place if/when needed.

Like others have said:  three rods covering the spectrum of power and action along with the matching presentations will suit most folks.

Also, keep in mind its better to have three top-quality rods than 6, 7, 8, etc. rods that are technique specific but "so-so" quality rods.  Buy the best you can afford.

Eddie

I fish with one type of rod, 6'6" spinning, M power (I have one MH) and fast action. I don't feel I "need" different types, as these rods handle well all the types of fishing I do. I take three or four with me, but that's for quickly changing lures, not for different rod characteristics.

But you need to do whatever you feel will do the job and give you confidence in what you do.

I don't buy into the golf analogy. A worm rod, for example, will do a much better job with, say, spinnerbaits, than a seven iron will do for putting.

I notice alot of people having rods for for each specific type of fishing like... A crankbait rod for deep crankbaits on hard cover. do you really need it? and if so why?

Let me ask you a few simple questions. once you have thought about my questions you will have the answer to yours.

Could you play an entire round of golf with nothing but a putter?

If you did would you score well?

If you knew you could score better using a full set of clubs even though you may not use them all on a certain day or hole would you buy them?

There is your answer.

I fish with one type of rod, 6'6" spinning, M power (I have one MH) and fast action. I don't feel I "need" different types, as these rods handle well all the types of fishing I do. I take three or four with me, but that's for quickly changing lures, not for different rod characteristics.

But you need to do whatever you feel will do the job and give you confidence in what you do.

I don't buy into the golf analogy. A worm rod, for example, will do a much better job with, say, spinnerbaits, than a seven iron will do for putting.

How do you figure? try using a 5'6"ul rod for punching mats with 11/4oz weights and tell me you will do just fine. there are many more techniques for fishing than just worms and spinner baits, friend.

If you just go to the driving range on the weekend to have a little fun then yeah just take a driver an iron and a wedge and you'll be fine and have a blast

If you competing in the US Open you better have the right clubs/with the right loft and the right length and flex of shafts to match your club head speed, and the right offset to match your trajectory or you might as well not tee off at all.

This isn't Happy Gilmore this is the real world

How do you figure? try using a 5'6"ul rod for punching mats with 11/4oz weights and tell me you will do just fine. there are many more techniques for fishing than just worms and spinner baits, friend.

You've got to remember, he said for the fishing he does.  He may not need a rod that can hurl huge weights out to matted vegetation.  He was just stating what he used for the fishing he does.

You've got to remember, he said for the fishing he does. He may not need a rod that can hurl huge weights out to matted vegetation. He was just stating what he used for the fishing he does.

we are talking about bass fishing in general and what is needed or not needed. you can't say I just fish worms and wire baits and need one pole....... welll duh

If you just go to the driving range on the weekend to have a little fun then yeah just take a driver an iron and a wedge and you'll be fine and have a blast

If you competing in the US Open you better have the right clubs/with the right loft and the right length and flex of shafts to match your club head speed, and the right offset to match your trajectory or you might as well not tee off at all. 

This isn't Happy Gilmore this is the real world

Let me ask you a few simple questions. once you have thought about my questions you will have the answer to yours.

If you knew you could score better using a full set of clubs even though you may not use them all on a certain day or hole would you buy them?

There is your answer.

No but I can play an entire round of golf quite well with a one wood, one iron, & a putter!

There's you answer  :)

There is your answer.

No but I can play an entire round of golf quite well with a one wood, one iron, & a putter!

There's you answer :)

have fun at the driving range

I don't think anyone here will be at the US Open or a Bassmaster Open  :)

Forget the golf comparisons. Let's talk about garments. (Yeah, my feminine side is coming out. :)) You wouldn't wear your underwear to a wedding would you? You have your undershorts, shorts, blue jeans, dress pants, etc. and they all are used for different events. (You might even wear a g-string but that's a subject for another thread on another forum.)

:)

I don't think anyone here will be at the US Open or a Bassmaster Open :)
does not mean if they wanted to try one day that they could get by with 3 clubs or 3 rods now does it. My point, which is true no matter how you look at it, is if you want to be as successful as you can be at all techniques or a day on the lake facing many situations there is no reason not to. If you don't give a hoot and just wanna kick a few back on a Sunday then why ask? The original poster obviously wanted to know if it was needed. The answer is yes if you want to fish everything from 1/8oz shaky heads to 5oz swim baits and do it well.

If you enjoy a particular style of fishing, and do it a lot, then a specialized rod may make the hobby even more enjoyable.  I own four rods for crankbaits.  Two of those four can serve other purposes, but the other two.....eh, they're only good for diving cranks.  For the most part, any six to seven foot  medium or medium heavy, fast action rod will work for just about everything.  It may not do some things well, but it'll get it done.  There are special circumstances where a specialized rod is virtually a must, and even then, the exact specs are highly debatable.  Deep, vertical drop shotting or pitching heavy baits in slop and timber are two such examples.

What is the reason for the original post?  Are you just curious, trying to determine how many rods you should have, or is there an underlying concern for the funds necessary to buy a number of rods?  If your concern is funds, you will do fine with three rods.  Heck, it's better to start with whatever you can afford and purchase more over the years as funds become available.  As you learn and master more techniques it will just come naturally to you to want more rods that fit those techniques specifically.  Then you will have to decide where to draw the line and how specific you really want each rod to be.

What is the reason for the original post? Are you just curious, trying to determine how many rods you should have, or is there an underlying concern for the funds necessary to buy a number of rods? If your concern is funds, you will do fine with three rods. Heck, it's better to start with whatever you can afford and purchase more over the years as funds become available. As you learn and master more techniques it will just come naturally to you to want more rods that fit those techniques specifically. Then you will have to decide where to draw the line and how specific you really want each rod to be.

Trying to determine how many rods I want I have 3 rods right now

Basser223, heres my two cents:

You don't need a bunch of rods, you can do whatever you want with three.  That being said, it is much nicer to have a few more sticks handy for other things.  I've go out with four casting rods and one spinning. I'm very happy with that.  I can cover everything I need with those five rods.  I used to only go out with two or three and found myself having to retie just to try a different lure or technique out.  You don't need to go out and buy expensive gear either.  Just buy what fits into your budget.

Heres my gear:

Casting:

MH:  Jigs/worms

M:  Crank rod

MH:  Pitching/Flipping

M:  General purpose rod  (realistically, I can live without this one)

Spinning:

ML:  Small finesse baits

I find that I am a lot more efficient having the extra two or three rods than I used to take out with me.  I enjoy fishing more being able to just grab something else that is ready to go.  I'm able to catch more fish because I have a bait in the water more often.