Sign in to follow this  
wbassrogue

spinning reel opinions, advice???

Hey all

Well i picked up a 7' Mojo Bass for the new season here, the problem I am running into is, my quantum catalyst PTI(its the size 40) is much too big for this blank thru design, i had that one mated to a BPS Extreme, and will probably put that back on.

In the interim I have a sahara 750fb which is great but it is too small for the 10lb test line i fish.

so Im looking for a spinning reel thats in between,preferably lightweight and not throwaway..

close to the $100 price point.

the mojo is the tube/grub...i basically throw all type of soft plastics with it..

what do you guys and gals think ??

show me the way ;)

2500 series Shimano Sahara or Symmetry

Without a question (IMO) Shimano Symetre 2500.

pflueger arbor 7430 8.7oz should balance that mojo perfect plus its a sweet reel 80 bucks spare spool designed for braid or mono

What Jake_P says X2.

Nothing decent in the shimano line until you hit a stradic.........$100 supreme, without doubt.  20 more posts, 20 more opinions. lol

I have the same tube/grub rod, I put a symetre 3000 on it.

THE 3000 is same size frame as 2500 and also lighter

pflueger arbor 7430 8.7oz should balance that mojo perfect plus its a sweet reel 80 bucks spare spool designed for braid or mono

Have you used the Arbor 7430? It's WAY too small and light to balance well with a 7' Mojo. I have one a 6' light/fast St. Croix Premier and it's still a little tip heavy.

I would go with the Symetre 3000 or the Quantum Kinetic PTI-B30 for use with 10# line on a spinning reel. The new Kinetic is much better than the previous model and even though I have no experience with the Symetre, I'm sure it would work well also.

The Shimano Saros 3000 would be a good reel. They are only about 30 dollars more than a Symetre and if you shop around you might be able to find one on sale for $100 The Saros has some features like the direct drive handle, waterproof drag, and palidin gears that the symetre doesn't. Also it comes with a spare spool and the symetre doesn't.

thanks all for the replies!from what i gather the consensus is pretty much purchase the best shimano i can afford?

will it be close in quality to the PTI catalyst? ive worked that reel for 3+ years and while it isnt as pretty as it once was it is performing great with basic maitenance.

ive used it for ~200 outings. its just too heavy for this setup and fatiguing to krank(i mostly fish out of kayak these days, and getting older(34) reeling becomes a chore after rowing alot)

zero limit: what are your thoughts on the mojo reel seat?

For $100 (@ BPS) the Pflueger Supreme XT reels are a great performing reel

Even though he has his mind made up. I do love my Supreme and President XT.