Sign in to follow this  
MMan16

kistler or dobyns

Looking at the Kistler magnesium 7ft med heavy or the Dobynns savvy 7ft med heavy. I'm gonna use it for kind of an everything rod i have a 6.4:1 Shimano curado to pair it with. I'm just looking for some thoughts from you guys to help me make up my mind. Price class is 159. I currently own a Dobynns champion flippin stix and a St croix premier.

Looking at the Kistler magnesium 7ft med heavy or the Dobynns savvy 7ft med heavy. I'm gonna use it for kind of an everything rod i have a 6.4:1 Shimano curado to pair it with. I'm just looking for some thoughts from you guys to help me make up my mind. Price class is 159. I currently own a Dobynns champion flippin stix and a St croix premier.

I thought those only came in 5 and 7 ?? :-?

And have you considered an Avid?

I thought those only came in 5 and 7 ?? :-?

And have you considered an Avid?

Probably a D instead of an E.

Oh okay, thanks bmadd

I'd say dobyns, I've had both and like my savvys much more than the magnesiums.  The savvy balances better, is more sensitive, has a little more power (in MH, H are very similar), and the handle is a little longer (matters to me).

I'ts the Bantum curado. I have considered the Avid and have heard alot of good stuff about them. The only reason i didn't list it is because when i was at BPS last they had the Avid so i got to hold it the other two i haven't held, But I still probably should have listed it.

Kistler's are made in China. Avid's are made in the US. Where are the Dobyn's rods made?

I'm pretty sure they are manufactured in Korea.

Kistler's are made in China. Avid's are made in the US. Where are the Dobyn's rods made?

Where did you get that information?

TT did an interview with Gary, and reported that the G2 rods were sourced to Korea.  Also, the reviews of the G2 rods and Savvy states Korea as the manufacturing country.

So besides the Dobynns  not being made in the U.S. are the rods still of the same quality?

So besides the Dobynns  not being made in the U.S. are the rods still of the same quality?
Savvy for sure, over both kistler and the avid. The quality is absolutely top notch and the customer service the best I've ever come across.

The Kistler's I handled had a sticker on the butt that said MADE IN CHINA"

The Avid's have "MADE IN USA" printed on the blanks. The website proudly states that as well.

For the record the Powell I just got from TW is also made in China. Notice how companies that have their rods outsourced to China never mention it?   ;D

SHIMANO is also made in China, but who didn't expect that? ;D

I've heard good things about Dobyns.

I have a Avid AVC70MHF... It was quite awesome an all around rod however the cermanic insert fell out of the tip a few weeks ago.

When I inquired about a replacement or even upgrading to a more expensive rod it took them more than a week to respond.

I picked up a Loomis GLX to help ease the pain. :)

When I inquired about a replacement or even upgrading to a more expensive rod it took them more than a week to respond.

Next time, just call them.  You can also simply order the tip kit from their site.  I usually get the replacement in tip in two days.

Next time, just call them. You can also simply order the tip kit from their site. I usually get the replacement in tip in two days.

Thanks man I will try that next time. Love the rod, was disapponted in service but I can see your point.

The tip insert fell out of one of my Dobyns Champions as well. One e-mail and two days later I recieved two FREE replacement tip guides in the mail. Their customer service is second to none. I am currently in the process of transitioning all my rods to Dobyns and I think you cannot go wrong with getting any of the Dobyns rods. Their rods are manufactured in Korea, but so are most high end reels..... With that said, all but Lamiglass, Loomis, Falcon, and St. Croix are made in China.

I have'nt owned any kistlers, but have had dobyns and St. croixs. I like both dobyns and st. croixs, and may come to a price issue between picking between the avid and savy. I think either will suit fine and both have good customer service.