Sign in to follow this  
Rand

Same rod for hollow bodied/rage toads?

Do you guys use the same rod for hollow body frogs as you do for soft body frogs like the Rage Toad?

I currently use the Daiwa L&T Frog rod for both. I am looking to get a new frog rod. I don't have the best luck walking hollow bodies. I also don't get the best distance with the Rage Toad. My reel for frogs is a Revo SX. It seems to haul em out of the rough stuff.

So any suggestions will work. I realize that someone just started a Frog rod topic, but I'm kind of going in a different direction.

Not at all.  I step down for a toad, both in length and power.  MH/F works fine.

I also use a MH fast rod for my Rage Toad'n, but I stick with a 7 footer.

Yep, 7' seems just fine.

I  stick with the same rod.  Only because I fish both frogs near or on heavy cover. The hollow body i throw in heavier slop but rage toads i'll fish over thin vegetation and along heavy slop. So even though i fish the rage toads over lighter stuff i still use a heavy rod because the thick stuff is just beside it and I like to be able to pull them away if the held for it.

The only issue with using one rod, that I can see, is that a toad is often a great follow up to a miss on a frog.

Depending on what you're throwing the frog with, a step down to a slightly lighter rod might cast the hollow bodies a little better.

If I know I'm going to be froggin, toads or hollow bodies, for a good part of the day, I'll bring two identical rods with 50-65 lb braid on each. The same rod for either, hollow or soft. 7' 10" custom frog rods.

It's a nice day when those are the only 2 you grab for all day.   :)

If I'm going frogging, I'll rig up a pair of rods.  Both are MH flippin sticks.  One is rated XFast one is ModFast.  Really, either one will throw both baits just fine.  The Modfast rod throws the lighter toads out a little better. 

If I remember to take a few rigs, then I'll use my 7'MH/F for the Rage Tail. the Hollow frogs get tossed most times with a 7'6" HF.

I use one rod for both, a 7' Heavy/Fast Kistler Mag TS  "Jig and Toad", 50lb braid, and a 6.3:1 reel. It has just enough tip to fling a weightless Horny toad as far as I could ever want to cast it, and plenty of power to haul 5lber's out of the thickest slop I drag a hollow frog across. It's light enough to walk a hollow frog with all day, and it's not a broom stick that rips the frog away from the fish if I am a little quick on the trigger. It's the best frog rod I have ever owned. I liked it much better than any St. Croix (and I like St Croix rods) I used for frogs.