Sign in to follow this  
FishinTN

Dobyns rods breakin??

Ok guys, I was told by 2 different shops (that a were dobyns dealers) that they quit carring dobyns rods due to having a above average number of rods break within 3 months of purchase, and having customers complaining about paying $60.00 for a replacement. Has anyone had issues with a dobyns rod breaking shortly after purchase. I was suprised to hear this. I have been looking into getting a crankin rod, which is what got me into the conversation. Then told by one of the stores that their crankin rods were too stiff. Also opposite of what I have read online.

I'd bet that was with the Generation 1 rods. They did have some issues with that, from what I read. The new "Gen 2" rods that are out now are much better. I talked to Gary Dobyn's about it a little and he said they stress test the heck out of every rod now before it leaves their facility. And I'm not reading any threads on the forums I check daily about issues with them breaking.

I have only had my 2 Dobyn's Gen 2 Extremes for a couple of weeks now and caught a few fish with them. No issues at all. Beautiful, sensitive and well made rods. The "no questions" replacement policy is $60, but that's cheaper than anyone else I know of right now. Loomis just went up to $100, for example.

I'm sure they were referring to the Gen 1 rods.  The new rods are a completely redesigned blank made in a different factory.

I have a few of the dobyns 2nd generation rods and only one broke but it was because I accidentally broke it when I closed my car door.  Other than that their rods are very good.  I would never hesitate to buy another rod.  Plus it's only $60 for a replacement for one of the best customer service that rivals that of shimano.  Remember that GLoomis raised their price to $100 for a replacement now.

Definitely the Gen 1 rods that the dealers were talking about. The company did have some issues right when their first ever rods were released. Gary is all about customer service, and worked extremely hard to make things right, to customers, and to make sure it didn't continue to happen. He decided to pack things up, and move to a new manufacturer, thus the new rods (Gen 2).

The new rods do not have breakage issues, I have broke a few, but always my fault (rod lockers).

Dobyns Rods are all about customer service, and base their company around excellent customer service. Call them anytime if you have a rod issue, and it'll be dealt with immediately.

I've been using a Gen 2 Champion Extreme all year and love the hell out of it. I've never held a rod so lite or sensitive. I plan on getting another for Xmas.....Gooooo Bait Monkey!!

I have been using Dobyns Champ Gen 2s all year with no trouble at all.  just picked up my 5th one a month ago I love em =). 

I've got a few Gen 2's myself. Only problems I've had were one came shipped with a cracked guide and two rods came with a large dent in the cork. TW took care of the dented ones as they were the ones that shipped them and Rich Dobyns took care of the one with the cracked guide no questions asked. Great rods with excellent customer service. 

Phew, I was scared for a moment there. I just bought a Champion crankbait rod a few days ago and the initial post almost gave me buyer's remorse!  ;D

I have a Gen 2 Champion Extreme.  I love that rod.  Second fish I caught on it was a 5.5 pound LM in some dense cover.  Pulled him out with no trouble.

Everybody here will know it if I break it!  (You'll be able to hear me scream!)

There's definitely another one in my future.

My arsenal will someday be all Avid's and Dobyn's.   

I have a Gen 2 Champion Extreme. I love that rod. Second fish I caught on it was a 5.5 pound LM in some dense cover. Pulled him out with no trouble.

Everybody here will know it if I break it! (You'll be able to hear me scream!)

Why not all Dobyns? Thats the direction I'm headed.... 6 down, 3 (or 4 or 5) to go!!

I have a Gen 2 Champion Extreme. I love that rod. Second fish I caught on it was a 5.5 pound LM in some dense cover. Pulled him out with no trouble.

Everybody here will know it if I break it! (You'll be able to hear me scream!)

Why not all Dobyns? Thats the direction I'm headed.... 6 down, 3 (or 4 or 5) to go!!

I don't really know why, other than I really like my Avids.  Probably the value and the fact that they're made in USA. 

Could you tell the difference wearing a blindfold?  I think it would be tough.

I have to agree about the Gen 1 vs. Gen 2. I had a Gen 2 that I bought early this summer that gave no problems whatsoever. I caught several fish over 5 with it. I had it for more than three months to. Got rid of it because I didn't like it but it was a structurally sound stick IHMO.