Sign in to follow this  
DaveT63

What are good rod actions for topwater and for jerkbaits?

I realize these are probably two different rods.  Not asking about specific brands, but rather actions.  MHF, MLXF, MHM?  What action works best for each application?

Thanks,

Dave

I like using a Medium Heavy, Fast or Moderate Fast Action rod. This is a good all around rod anyway. If I want to throw small finesse stuff, I may use a Medium, Fast action rod, but everything else is thrown on my Medium Heavy rod.

I use a Medium Heavy Power with Moderate-Fast action for both Topwater and Jerkbaits. I like to have a little "softer" action when using lures with treble hooks, which I think helps keep the fish from throwing the bait.

By the way, I use the exact same rod for both Topwater and Jerkbaits.  They only difference is my Jerkbait Set-up has fluorocarbon on it and my topwater set-up has Mono.

i dont have technique specific rods like some do , but i prefer my 6' M/F for top waters and soft jerk baits.

I really like a Medium Power, Fast action for these types of baits.  I feel the responsiveness of a fast action gives me a good snap when jerking a jerkbait or walking/popping a topwater.

Avid AVC66MF which has a soft tip. This is the PERFECT rod

for the applications you are interested in.

Topwater is a pretty broad spectrum, and jerkbaits? I use a glass cranking rod for both, except the bigger baits. Super Spooks are as big as I go but I like the 703 Powell CB glass rod. For the bigger baits I prefer the 5 power. I guess they would be considered moderate or medium. I want the fish to have a chance to get the bait good, and the tip allow them to do so. The Skeet Reese CB rod also has a great action for these baits.

I use a G. Loomis MBR843. It's a 7' MH Fast action rod. A 6'6" in the same action may be a "more manueverable" rod for giving action to jerkbaits and walking the dog, but I use what I got with a limited number of rods.

I realize these are probably two different rods. Not asking about specific brands, but rather actions. MHF, MLXF, MHM? What action works best for each application?

Thanks,

Dave

Medium power (backbone), mod fast - fast tip action.......

Tight Lines!!!

Wow, I'm surprised at all of the MH fast action selections for lighter top water lures, but if thats what works for you where you fish, then keep on keepin' on.  :(

For Me:

For light top waters (poppers, tiny torpedos, etc) I prefer a medium rod with a very parabolic bend, much like a cranking rod.  The soft bend helps keeps the smaller trebles planted when the fish decides to dance, which they almost always do when topwater fishing.  Also, because the lures are so light, the parabolic bend doesnt affect the action of the lures, they still pop hard, walk, and jump nicely, and the lighter action and slower tip speed allows for more accurate casting.

For top water frogs and other lures that have larger diameter hooks and a bit more mass, I prefer a medium-heavy/moderate to a medium-heavy/fast rod.  I generally prefer a slower rod to a fast rod because I feel as though I can feel things a lot better, and I don't really have heavy slop where Im fishing.

As a side note:

If you have a friend with multiple style/speeds/actions of rods, ask him if you can borrow a few rods  and go try them out at your local waters.  You would really be surprised how much your opinion of what you need varies from what a lot of internet opinions would lead you to believe(mine included). 

Basically, there are typical/generic answers to all of the "which rod is best for this application" type questions, but more so than not, your water type and the structure within it will more accurately define the type of rod you will need, more so than even lure selection in some instances.

For jerkbaits and small topwaters, I use a Setyr 6'6" M-F rod with a soft tip section. Works for me.

For larger topwaters, like Spooks and Sammys, with larger hooks, I use a Setyr 6'6" MH-F.

For frogs and buzzbaits I use a Dobyns 7'6" H-F.

What hasn't been mentioned for topwater hard baits and jerkbaits is the length of the handle. A short handle is a must have for any tip-down presentations. Most rods have a handle that is just too long for these applications. Just my take on it, of course.

Ideally I'd like a 6'-6'6" MH/F with a good copoly

For jerkbaits and small topwaters, I use a Setyr 6'6" M-F rod with a soft tip section. Works for me.

For larger topwaters, like Spooks and Sammys, with larger hooks, I use a Setyr 6'6" MH-F.

For frogs and buzzbaits I use a Dobyns 7'6" H-F.

What hasn't been mentioned for topwater hard baits and jerkbaits is the length of the handle. A short handle is a must have for any tip-down presentations. Most rods have a handle that is just too long for these applications. Just my take on it, of course.

Perfect reason to buy a couple Abu Garcia Verdict rods. :( Check em out.