Sign in to follow this  
HOIST-N-HAWGS

Lost the fish of a lifetime!

In the process of trying to put Matt Z on his first lunker board fish of the year, I lost a fish of a lifetime.

About 3 hours in I get absolutely crushed!!!! I'm now trembling, while trying to do everything right, and land this beast. I put everything I have into it, but I can't budge her an inch, and I'm using a 7'11" Nitro w/20lb Fluoro. I'm in complete awe by the strength of this monster. She then makes an amazing dive under the boat and the line rubs against the side of the of the boat, inches from the trolling motor. At the exact moment I reach down to kill the motor, I realize she's now making an upward run, I then feel this tremendous head shake. My worst nightmare comes true, and the fish of a lifetime has come unbuttoned! I sit down to kick myself and I'm nano seconds from sobbing like a little girl! My PB is a 7.2LM and this fish made that one feel like a guppy! After fighting back the tears and gathering myself, I move us back on the spot, and make another cast, BLAM!!!!!!!!! Instantly I think "Aaaaaaah, redemption!" Well, not really, this one only ended up being a 4lb LM. Which I might add, I skipped across the top of the water all the way to the boat, so the one I lost, I'm guesing was over 8lbs.

I wasn't able to get Matt his lunker board fish but, he did get a beauty of a SM going 4lbs. Our best five went around 16+. There was this one SM that made an amazing 5 foot jump above the water, very cool to witness! I'll be heading back out to find her again next week, in an attempt to turn this nightmare into a dream! As always Matt, a ton of fun fishing with you, and my appologies for not being able to get you a lunker board fish. I'm ussually thrilled to land a 4lber, but as you can tell by the look on my face, I was still quite  shaken from loosing the beast.

Gwm014.jpg

Gwm005.jpg

I wish you luck in finding her again,i think we all have experienced your pain at one time or another.

I lost a monster last year and it still hurts >;)

Nice fish in the pics,thats a pig smallie!

Man sounds like you have a great spot. Sorry you lost that fish but hey it happens to everyone. I had a giant smallmouth dive under the boat and break my braid last summer. You'll get him again  ;)

I feel your pain, brother. About five weeks ago my buddy and I were fishing a sand wash when I hooked up with what would have been my PB for sure. About twenty feet away from the boat she launched out of the water like a missile. A few head shakes and that's all she wrote. Easily an eight pounder.

I guess that puts us in the Ahab club. Now I'm obsessed......... :'(

Best of luck to you in your pursuit.

Were you throwing your new 3:16 stuff?

Well, those are some pretty nice fish anyhow.

8-)

Were you throwing your new 3:16 stuff?

Heck yeah!  ;) The Rising Son weighted top hook.

yea, still great fish none the less.. i know that feeling where you miss an absolute giant, and then a 4lb does not even matter... just makes you want to fish more though, and that's what the sport is all about

I know how you feel. I posted in the "Central" earlier this year of my experience. I lost a huge bass. I have landed a couple 8#ers, and several 7s. I know what a big bass looks like. So when I got this one to the surface, I seen her and she was a lot bigger than my 8#ers. The only thing that gives me some relief from that experience is that she will more than likely be there next year. She was in spawning phase on a classic location. Usually, they return to the same areas every year. I WILL get her next year!!!