Sign in to follow this  
SimonSays

Mini James River footballs!

Been trying to learn how to fly fish recently and I've been trying to find places to wade for smallmouth in the james.  Went to a place called maiden's landing on the advice of an Orvis guy.  Didn't really know where to cast as this place was totally different that Pony pastures (rocky vs flat and shallow)

I ended up casting my flies toward laydowns near the shore (great accuracy practice for the fly rod) and hit a couple small ones that I wanted to share.  These guy put up a nice fight on a fly rod, I can't wait to hook up into a 1lb+.  

Anyone know of a wade-able area for some decent smallies?

2609729496_60ecf7b9c9.jpg

2608898217_91991a56a1.jpg

2609729576_47373d1f8b.jpg

2608898391_49ac1acc4a.jpg

Simon,

I have seen guys fly fishing the James from a kayak but other than that I have no idea where to go other than for the Pony Pasture.

I know if you go up river from Watkins Landing there are areas to fly fish but since it is too dangerous to take a bass boat up that way I have not traveled the area.

Under the Nickle Bridge could be a good place, if you like snakes and bugs.

Just be careful on the James.  You know it is a dangerous river.

I belong to a club that is like 50 yards away from the Huguenot Bridge and we row our kayaks up the river to Willie Bridge where the dam is and people from the club have pulled 4 lb. smallies out of that area. Don't know if it's wade-able, but you can stand on the rocks. :P

Simon, PM me if you are interested in a spot near Fredericksburg.

You tricked me with your title.

How 'bout "Baby Footballs"?

8-)

Fishing James,

I live just south of Bosher's Dam and caught a beautiful four (4) pound smallie on a chrome with black back Rat-L-Trap off Pebble Beach a few years ago.

Then this big shot builds a house at the end of my street on Cherokee Road, blocks the view of the dam and river, and tells me to stay off Pebble Beach.

So I have not been back as he calls the police or game wardens when anyone fishes or walks on Pebble Beach so no one goes down there anymore.

I have met the lady living next door to him and was thinking of asking her for permission to fish her side of Pebble Beach, but the best fishing is in the eddy pool on the south side of the dam, on the jerk's property, and I really don't need any problems from him.

His daughter and her shack up boyfriend cut through my property going to the Fashion Park. Everytime they do I ask them if they are getting married which POs the birch. The guy looks like Ja-Ja Binks from Star Wars.

So go and fish that eddy and have a fun time. At least somebody will have a fun time off Pebble Beach. :)

Fishing James,

Yes, the area is wadeable.

We used to wade and walk across the river from Pebble Beach to the island and the surrounding areas also tube all around the area up to the Willie Bridge and back and fish all over the place with ultra light rigs. It was a lot of fun.

But watch the water levels and current and wear a PFD as it is very dangerous to wade in the area due to the rocks and holes.

Bring a buddy, too, just to be on the safe side.

That's him.

Did you park your car by the VEPCO easement on Saratoga Road???

Heya Sam, I might try that area out, it's by the Dam near the chippenham pky?

2611695131_8c013aa2eb_o.jpg

this area?

is there parking?

Yes, that is the area.

You can see Pebble Beach from the Willy Bridge.

Nope, no parking on Cherokee Road but you can park on Saratoga Road and walk down to the river.

Only problem is that there is not way to get to the river unless you treaspass and the homeowners don't cotton to that.

If you go on Pebble Beach without permission be ready to meet a nice law enforcement officer.  ;D

But you can put in at Huguenot Bridge and then paddle up to the dam and fish the area.  Good exercise if the current is not too strong against you.

Or, you can enter this part of the river from the north side by the fish ladder if you can find a place to park and then a clear place to enter the river.

I know you said the James River but you should also check the Nottoway as well. I have a couple of friends that have waded in the Sussex County part and they have caught several citation smallies in there and its perfect for wading. Check it out here....

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/waterbodies/display.asp?id=165&section=maps

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, go up to Bent Creek, where Route 60 crosses the James River in Appomatox County.  There is a DGIF boat landing there.  When the water is low, the whole area is wadeable.   I haven't fished it, but I've been there several times and it gets very good reviews from the fishermen I've talked to.  

Here's some photos from the boat landing at Bent Creek

bc1.JPG

bc2.JPG

bc3.JPG

bc4.JPG

bc5.JPG

bc6.JPG

Can anyone recommend any areas on the James that are safe to either just stand in (no waders) or just stand on the rocks?  Won't be fly fishing as I'm not even that strong of a reel fisher yet but I have tomorrow to myself as my wife is going out for the day.

Just looking for a relaxing day, looking for an area with decent parking to have a little fun.  Suggestions?  I'm in Chesterfield so I really don't want to drive too far, that Maidens Landing area could be interesting, and I've never tried fishing at Pony Pasture, always thought the current was a bit much to catch anything but I'm probably wrong.

Thanks

~Jim

When I was at maiden's landing there weren't very many rocks down the river, I'm not sure about up river.  It's generally shallow there, but there are some deep parts that I kept away from.  I stuck to the parts that came up only to my waist where I targeted shoreline laydowns and eddies from submerged rock formations.

At pony pastures the current is much stronger so you'll have to be a bit more careful.  There's a really strong current that's near the police and night fishing parking area and along that flow there's a large rock...right below that rock where the water is calm I hooked into a nice one...maybe about 1 lb from the looks of it ...with it fighting and the flowing current it put up a hell of a fight on my fly rod.  I lost it eventually as the hook ripped from it's mouth but strong current could hold larger fish.  If you travel all the way to the back there's another strong current where a friend of mine pulled a 2lber from and I hit 3 small stripers (1lb each).  I've found that tossing into current and letting my fly drift down yielded some results and J had good results tossing into deep pools.

If you go to pony pastures maybe i'll see you there in the afternoon around 4 =D  I'll be the idiot hooking himself with a fly!

Simon,

Throw jig or fly into current and let it go.

They will hit it at the Pony Pasture.

Then, take small bream, hook it to fly hook, cast out into to middle and try to catch some of those 15 to 20 pound catfish.  ;D   ;D   ;D

Then, take small bream, hook it to fly hook, cast out into to middle and try to catch some of those 15 to 20 pound catfish. ;D ;D ;D

and make a video of this cuz I want to see you land a 15-20lb catfish on your fly rod :D That'd be nuts! :o

Well I went down to Pony Pasture this morning (around 10am) and walked North up river till I found a decent little area for just standing in the water (about shin/knee deep)  I didn't get anything nor really any good hits/bites, could have been poor timing, location, bait, or just skill :)

Used Senko worms that I whacky rigged, and even did a little buzz bait topwater as I had never fished the river before.

Even without catching a darn thing, I had a blast just keeping cool in the water and working on my summer tan.  Might head back out this week as long as I get my "Husband Chores" done, the only perk to being a teacher are summers off :)

Heya, try something smaller like a 2in white grub on a 1/16 or 1/8 pz jig head.  You'll be able to catch smaller ones which are pretty fun, big ones will hit those too if ya get lucky!