Sign in to follow this  
Zel...

ebay "sniping"

Man live and learn.  Just got a lesson about bidding on ebay, right from the horses mouth.  Its called sniping.  

I had the winning bid for a tackle box filled with new and old lures, including 3 brand new jittersticks.  I couldn't understand when the winning bid was only $.50 higher than the bid I had for 12 hours to the end of the auction, but was considerably less than my max bid.  It seems this is the process:  You watch the auction down to the end.  You make a bid in the next increment from the current highest bid.  You put your bid in with 1 or 2 seconds to go in the auction.  By doing this, with so little time to go, it seems there is not enough time for ebay software to check to see if there are any other automatic max bids out there, and the Sniper wins.  You then pay immediately so the seller does not have a chance to do the second chance option.  

So if there is something you want, it seems forget about the max bid thing, and do the sniping thing and you win.  Since ebay is aware of this, allows it, and doesn't seem to be concerned with it, I guess they won't mind me telling everyone out there how this bidding system works.

>:(

No kidding! I've lost several bids from people doing this and nothing ticks me off more. Yep there went my boat seats, hope the person enjoyes them.

So even if your max bid is higher than the sniper bid you still lose?  That sucks! >:(

Man live and learn.  Just got a lesson about bidding on ebay, right from the horses mouth.  Its called sniping.  

I had the winning bid for a tackle box filled with new and old lures, including 3 brand new jittersticks.  I couldn't understand when the winning bid was only $.50 higher than the bid I had for 12 hours to the end of the auction, but was considerably less than my max bid.  It seems this is the process:  You watch the auction down to the end.  You make a bid in the next increment from the current highest bid.  You put your bid in with 1 or 2 seconds to go in the auction.  By doing this, with so little time to go, it seems there is not enough time for ebay software to check to see if there are any other automatic max bids out there, and the Sniper wins.  You then pay immediately so the seller does not have a chance to do the second chance option.  

So if there is something you want, it seems forget about the max bid thing, and do the sniping thing and you win.  Since ebay is aware of this, allows it, and doesn't seem to be concerned with it, I guess they won't mind me telling everyone out there how this bidding system works.

>:(

Ebay is not a standard auction.  Unlike a normal auction, there is a set time limit.  Sniping has been a part of ebay for a long time.  The only way to successfully win at Ebay without sniping is to place a bid for the highest amount you're willing to spend on the item and hope it holds.  

Other than that, there are some other things you can do but I'd hate to divulge them as they help me pickup great deals on items.  I've managed to purchase 2 NIB Revo S reels for around $60 apiece and I got some used Revo S reels for around $50.  

There are deals there to be had but you have to spend time learning the Ebay system and spend lots of time perusing the auctions.  

Here's the deal on the sniping issue. Let's say you want to bid on an item. You make your max bid at $100.00 with a few days to go. I see the same item and I make my max bid at $100.50 with a few days to go. The only difference between the two bids is I used an auction sniper tool. My bid is not made until the final two seconds of the aution. This gives you no time to react to the bid. I win.

Now let's say your max bid is $101.00 and mine is still $100.50. You have the same high bid as before. The auction sniper tool I used will not bid now in the final two seconds of the auction because your max bid was higher. The software in the sniper tool recognizes this and cancels my lower bid because it wouldn't do any good to bid. Ebay's software recognizes the bid that the sniper tool made and you end up paying your max bid price. You win.

I use a sniper tool all the time when bidding. Especially on reels. They are handy but will only bid the highest amount you specify. The bottom line is, sniper tool or not, if someone wants something bad enough, they will get it. I have found that sometimes you can't compete with stupidity. I was watching a rare Daiwa A.O.I. (only 300 made) the other night. I set the sniper up as usual. With two days to go it was over my max bid by almost $200.00. The reel ended up selling for close to $600.00. Too rich for my blood!! :o

So even if your max bid is higher than the sniper bid you still lose?  That sucks! >:(

I've never found this to be true and I've made several hundred purchases, mostly by sniping.

Basically, if someone wants something bad enough they'll bid in the last seconds for way more than the existing bid.  If the amount is high enough that person will cover any and all bids received within the final seconds and he'll usually win by pennies.  Whether what he paid for the item is really what the item is really worth is not the point, value in an item is in the eye of the beholder.  

BTW, as someone who sells on Ebay regularly, it's amazing to watch the bidding accelerate in the final 30 seconds or less of an auction.  I can have an item listed where the bid price hasn't changed in several days and it jumps 20,30 or 40 percent in the final seconds.

So even if your max bid is higher than the sniper bid you still lose? That sucks! >:(

!00% false.  No worries on this issue. ;)

BTW, here's a tip.

I've been bidding on some LC pointers.  This seller only has 3 colors available but on average they're only selling for around $10-11 each with 1.50 shipping. I figured out, after losing a couple bids to snipers including one while I was typing in this thread, that the seller has many of these baits and he'll send you a second chance offer if your bid was high enough.

Rather than bid to actually win the bait, I bid just enough to get a second chance offer.  I've gotten all three of these LC's for right around $8 - 9 apiece with a 1.50 shipping charge.

;)

BTW, here's a tip.

I've been bidding on some LC pointers. This seller only has 3 colors available but on average they're only selling for around $10-11 each with 1.50 shipping. I figured out, after losing a couple bids to snipers including one while I was typing in this thread, that the seller has many of these baits and he'll send you a second chance offer if your bid was high enough.

Rather than bid to actually win the bait, I bid just enough to get a second chance offer. I've gotten all three of these LC's for right around $8 - 9 apiece with a 1.50 shipping charge.

;)

Now your giving away all my good secrets.... ;D

I thought I was the only one that done that. ;) ;D

So even if your max bid is higher than the sniper bid you still lose? That sucks! >:(

!00% false. No worries on this issue. ;)

no..... 100% correct. look at my post.  just happened to me, and ebay confirmed it.

no..... 100% correct. look at my post. just happened to me, and ebay confirmed it.

;D

no..... 100% correct. look at my post. just happened to me, and ebay confirmed it.

After re-reading your post I see that the winning bid was less than your max bid. Sorry about the confusion on my part. I have never been that lucky using the sniping tool. If the other guy has a higher max bid than mine then I'm out of luck because the sniper tool won't bid. It sounds like to me you were on the receiving end of a bad glitch in the Ebay system. I was not aware that it was an issue. Maybe I need to try it more often.

BTW...I have a new tackle box with some lures and a three jittersticks that I just sniped off Ebay earlier this evening if you are interested.

J/K.... :P;) ;D

I don't consider sniping to be fair...but that's just me.

Usually i just put my max bid and if somebody else gets it..."so be it".I'm not overpaying for something i can find again.This is why i love buy it now items.

I don't consider sniping to be fair...but that's just me.

Usually i just put my max bid and if somebody else gets it..."so be it".I'm not overpaying for something i can find again.This is why i love buy it now items.

Sniping is a 100% ebay auction technique that would never work in a normal auction.  It's also a technique that probably wins at least 50% or more of most auctions.  If you don't snipe you probably won't win on Ebay unless the item you're bidding on is not of great value to many people.

Even if you attended a normal auction and waited till the auctioneers gavel was an inch off the table to place that last second bid, he would then continue on and allow your bid to be upped.  Obviously not so with Ebay as it's on a timed system.  

I've sniped and won and it is within the rules so seems fair to me. I had never heard of sniping I just figured I was being "creative".

I've got one little " extra " twist that I use that seems to work for me but like Cart / Carp said I'm keeping that to myself. I've only bought about 4 things so I'm no major threat.

E-bay should allow a solid bid tool. You can bid whatever price you want and don't need to go in increments. That would take care of the problem. Both sellers and E-bay would benefit I'm surprised they haven't thought of it. They could also lock the incoming bids and let the automatics play out  in overtime to solve the problem.

Fascinating stuff. Anybody want to recommend a good sniping tool?

Coincidence enough you can buy the sniping programs on ebay. LOL!  

Jimzee mentioned it awhile back but didn't say too much about it,so i went investigating that night.

Mr.Carp,what happens if everybody owns the sniping tool then?Wouldn't it make it even harder for the snipers? ;D

There are many out there.  Some are free and others charge a yearly subscription.  I use auction stealer.  It is a free sniper tool but keep in mind that the free version will only bid in the last 5-7 seconds unlike the paid versions which will bid in the final 1-2 seconds.  I use the paid version for about three bucks a month.

Do a Google search for bid sniping or auction sniping and I'm sure you will get a large list to choose from. ;)

I snipe for one reason and one reason only: I don't want anyone to know what my max bid is until it's too late  8-)

The truth of the matter is I know how much I'm willing pay or can afford, and I'm not gonna plop down that max bid til the last second because the other guy may want it more but might not have his max bid at his limit. Usually works out.

This is why I like Gunbroker.  They have a 15min rule.  You have 15min to bid after the sale ends if someone snipes you.  Good deal for the seller and dialup guys.

I think I might not have explained my complaint about sniping on ebay correctly in my original post. Putting in bids at the last second, I have no problem with.

I do have a problem with the fact that ebay software will not look to see if there are any automatic MAX bids that are higher than the snipers bid, when there are only a few seconds to go in the auction. Also, ebay told me I cannot outbid myself. So if I am the current highest bidder, and I think the auction might be sniped, I cannot put in another bid, because you cannot outbid yourself.

Here was basically the way I explained it through the online help section, talking to Joyce from ebay.

I placed a max bid of $50.00 on an auction, with 12 hours to go. The current bid from someone else is $20.00.

ebay acknowledges my high bid of $50.00, and I now become the highest bidder at $20.50 ($.50 increments needed).

I remain the highest bidder until the very end, well with at least 1-2 seconds to go.

The sniper places a bid of $21.00 (which is $.50 higher than the highest bid with 1-2 seconds to go), and the sniper is the winner of the auction at $21.00, even though I had a max bid of $50.00.

My max bid of $50.00, means nothing, because with only 1-2 seconds left in the auction, the ebay software does not have enough time to look and calculate any automatic bids, so my max bid of $50.00 does not come into play (because the auction is sniped with only 1-2 seconds left in the auction). So the sniper just ripped off the seller by as much as $29.00 ($50.00 the max amount I was willing to pay, less the winning bid of $21.00) - not really that much, but in theory correct.

She also told me I would not have been able to snipe the auction myself at the last second - if I felt the auction might be sniped, because I was the current highest bidder, and you cannot outbid yourself.

I asked her that basically: 1) If someone has a sniping program, your automatic max bid means nothing, and 2) if you think the auction might be sniped, do not be the highest bidder near the end of the auction. She said yup. She also said the "snipers" tend to pay within seconds of the auction end, so the seller does not have chance to hit the second chance button.

She told me they will not accept my displeasure with the process as a complaint, but I could submit it as an unsolicited suggestion.

Bottom line is, it's the automatic max bid process that is flawed.

:-X

The sniper places a bid of $21.00 (which is $.50 higher than the highest bid with 1-2 seconds to go), and the sniper is the winner of the auction at $21.00, even though I had a max bid of $50.00.

My max bid of $50.00, means nothing, because with only 1-2 seconds left in the auction, the ebay software does not have enough time to look and calculate any automatic bids, so my max bid of $50.00 does not come into play (because the auction is sniped with only 1-2 seconds left in the auction).  So the sniper just ripped off the seller by as much as $29.00 ($50.00 the max amount I was willing to pay, less the winning bid of $21.00) - not really that much, but in theory correct.

She also told me I would not have been able to snipe the auction myself at the last second - if I felt the auction might be sniped, because I was the current highest bidder, and you cannot outbid yourself.

I asked her that basically: 1) If someone has a sniping program, your automatic max bid means nothing, and 2) if you think the auction might be sniped, do not be the highest bidder near the end of the auction.  She said yup.  She also said the "snipers" tend to pay within seconds of the auction end, so the seller does not have chance to hit the second chance button.

She told me they will not accept my displeasure with the process as a complaint, but I could submit it as an unsolicited suggestion.

Zel,

This has to be some kind of glitch or one time anomaly. I have a feedback rating of over 300 on ebay. All as a buyer, never sold anything. I am in a couple of ebay's "sniping" halls of fame. I have never once had this happen. I use a digital stop watch to place my sniping bids in the last decimals of a second. I have on dozens of occasions hit my last bid (being more than twice the current high) and been shot down by a Max bidder. The only way anyone can ever beat me at an auction is to have a Max bid already set.  And it happens all the time.

Also the customer service reps go to school to learn how to tell you exactly what it takes to make you go away. Most important thing to understand about ebay is, it is designed to benefit sellers ONLY! Buyers don't pay a dime to use the non-auction, sellers are the only ones who are allowed to complain. It's just the way it is. My experience FWIW>

Ronnie

Coincidence enough you can buy the sniping programs on ebay. LOL!  

Jimzee mentioned it awhile back but didn't say too much about it,so i went investigating that night.

Mr.Carp,what happens if everybody owns the sniping tool then?Wouldn't it make it even harder for the snipers? ;D

If you use Firefox as your browser you've got one of the best sniping tools out there.   ;)

My max bid of $50.00, means nothing, because with only 1-2 seconds left in the auction, the ebay software does not have enough time to look and calculate any automatic bids, so my max bid of $50.00 does not come into play (because the auction is sniped with only 1-2 seconds left in the auction).  So the sniper just ripped off the seller by as much as $29.00 ($50.00 the max amount I was willing to pay, less the winning bid of $21.00) - not really that much, but in theory correct.

I asked her that basically: 1) If someone has a sniping program, your automatic max bid means nothing, and 2) if you think the auction might be sniped, do not be the highest bidder near the end of the auction.  She said yup.  She also said the "snipers" tend to pay within seconds of the auction end, so the seller does not have chance to hit the second chance button.

Zel,

This has to be some kind of glitch or one time anomaly. I have a feedback rating of over 300 on ebay. All as a buyer, never sold anything. I am in a couple of ebay's "sniping" halls of fame. I have never once had this happen. I use a digital stop watch to place my sniping bids in the last decimals of a second. I have on dozens of occasions hit my last bid (being more than twice the current high) and been shot down by a Max bidder. The only way anyone can ever beat me at an auction is to have a Max bid already set.  And it happens all the time.

Also the customer service reps go to school to learn how to tell you exactly what it takes to make you go away. Most important thing to understand about ebay is, it is designed to benefit sellers ONLY! Buyers don't pay a dime to use the non-auction, sellers are the only ones who are allowed to complain. It's just the way it is. My experience FWIW>

Ronnie

I agree Ronnie.  I've sniped plenty of auctions and I've lost my fair share.  Sounds more like a software glitch and is not the norm.  

A sniping program would first have to sync itself to the Ebay time clock along with being able to correctly estimate the ping time for the transmission of it's last bid over the internet.   Then it would literally have to place that bid at the precise time that the processor on the ebay end has completely counted down precisely to 0 and wasn't capable of processing a response!

Definitely a fluke.