Sign in to follow this  
DewittBassmaster

Fly-fishing

There are a bunch of us here that fly fish... but fly fishing threads seem to be pretty sparse.  

I often carry a couple fly rods in the boat.  I do most of my bass fly fishing in the fall or spring when it's not so hot... (or the first hour or 2 of daylight) I fish a deep water lake so it's tough to get a fly deep enough in the hot weather.

Last spring I decided I wanted to learn.  I got some gear, not top of the line but okay, and tried it out.  I never could get the casting down so stopped fooling with it.

I will probably get the stuff out again and give it another shot.

I fly fish for steel head and Salmon when bass season isn't open or when I cant get out on the lake. I also tie my own flies too, I'm a bit of a cheap Dutchman.

Good to see other fly fishermen out here.

Learned it over the course of the last two summers I spent in Alaska and Wyoming.  I love it, but I haven't done much bass fishing with my flyrod yet although I have been meaning to.

The fish in my avatar was caught on a fly

That's a great fish... even better on a fly!

There are a bunch of us here that fly fish... but fly fishing threads seem to be pretty sparse.

I often carry a couple fly rods in the boat. I do most of my bass fly fishing in the fall or spring when it's not so hot... (or the first hour or 2 of daylight) I fish a deep water lake so it's tough to get a fly deep enough in the hot weather.

There's just something about a Texan with a fly rod that doesn't seem right...

::)

Does anybody on this site fly fish? I want to start and was wondering how much other bass fisherman do it.

25% of my bass fishing is with a flyrod.  60% of bluegill fishing on a flyrod.  From my personal experience, I catch smaller bass in general with the flyrod but I have a lot more fun fishing.  The number of bites is a little less also.  But in general I catch more and larger bluegills on a flyrod.  I also have more fun fishing.  It took me a full season to get pretty good at it (not just basic casting).

I really enjoy flyfishing for bass and would recommend it to anyone. There are a few threads out here on the message boards on what people use when flyfishing for bass.  Just use the search option.  Flyfishing for bass is really taking off in the past 10 years.

Vic

I often carry a couple fly rods in the boat. I do most of my bass fly fishing in the fall or spring when it's not so hot... (or the first hour or 2 of daylight) I fish a deep water lake so it's tough to get a fly deep enough in the hot weather.

There's just something about a Texan with a fly rod that doesn't seem right...

::)

I'm confused?  What's so crazy about us flyfishing?  

We use heavy rods (big surprise) big flies and usually fish the same cover we flip or pitch to.  It's no panfish lift!   We also target smallies when they are up hunting craws in the shallows.

It's also good practice for salt water.

So, what's odd about it?  :-?

Love fly fishing and tying flies.

Enjoy catching bass on a fly rod, but enjoy the bluegill more.

OHHHHH yeah.  If I could buy my gear all over again, I would have given up most of my bass rods and got 2-3 nice, nice fly rods and reels.  No new gear for me anytime soon the way gas price are going.

Cheers!

Yeah, the casting is the first hurdle. Control is the name of the game in fishing and fly tackle is simply a bigger challenge.

It asks us to "throw" in ways we aren't used to. And tackle has to be matched (line to rod) and configured correctly, especially the leader. The quickest way is to get instruction, either by reading, video, or best, in person. I'd suggest you start with the roll cast, then move to aerial casting.

As for tackle, there's one thing I wouldn't skimp on, and that's the fly-line. If you can afford it, get a good line. What you want to avoid is a cheap soft line that sags in the guides (Cortland 333 does this, unless they've re-configured it since I angrily threw mine in the trash so many years ago). You want a hard-coated line that will shoot through the guides.

One thing about fly-fishing though -it's generally less efficient, less fast, at pulling fish out of the water than with conventional tackle -except for insect eaters like sunfish and trout. You can learn to adapt the tackle to most fishing tasks at hand, but it's mainly a shallow water game. And until you get really good at controlling your line, it's a longer learning process than conventional. Most people head into it after they've got the "gotta catch" bug out.

Fly-fishing is worth learning -it's really wonderful: The casting, the intimacy with water (not just being poetic -you'll see), and creating your own flies, and fish fight better (long rod and direct hand connection with the line).

One of the reasons might be because such posts are relegated to the "Everything Else" section! Shouldn't this be in the Fishing Tackle section??