Sign in to follow this  
CODbasser

whe doesn't the elite series allow the use of a net?

I have always wondered this, FLW allows them and every tournament i have ever fished has allowed them. I was just wondering what the reasoning behind this rule is...

I like it this way and wished my club did it this way!

They obviously see "landing" the fish as a part of, or added challenge to just hooking a fish.

Studies were made that showed severe slime coat and scale damage was resulting form bass tournaments where landing nets were being used. B.A.S.S., being a conservation minded organization adopted the no net rule as a result of the study. Slime coat damage leads to deceased fish.

Since that time net companies developed knot-less nets and rubber nets that eliminated most of the slime coat and scale damage. There isn't any reason for B.A.S.S. to continue the no net rule, other than TV ratings. ESPN purchased B.A.S.S. and changed the organization into tournament TV rated sport and it's more exciting to watch bass being bounced, lost at the boat or if lucky and hand being hooked. It's all about ratings, nothing about proper handling of the bass.

WRB

Oh no, not this discussion again.

I've heard the arguments that it is more sporting to have to land them by hand, and the use of a net gives the fisherman some kind of unfair advantage over the fish.

This argument is spurious at best.

Every development, from boats, to tackle, to electronics, to fill in the blank, is sold on the premise that they provide advantages to the fisherman.

We are long past the days of using our wits, stealth and a sharp stick to net (pun intended) our quarry.

Giving the bass a "sporting chance" is the last thing on the anger's mind.

Just for the record, I carry a net in my canoe.  I have yet to use it this year.  I brought it for pickerel, but have since learned how to handle them, and don't use the net for them.

It's there just in case.  In case of what, I cannot say.

They obviously see "landing" the fish as a part of, or added challenge to just hooking a fish.

Challenge <cof>

I see these guys dragging the fish along the top of the water and hoisting in the boat, hardly a challenge. I don't watch often but I don't seem to see really "big " fish.

more drama = better ratings

Its a lot more exciting to see a pro struggle to get fiesty bass in the boat than... "oh look... it's a big bass... and now watch as the marshall gracefully nets it."

Its all about creating tension, which in turn creates higher ratings, which equals more money for BASS.

[movedhere] General Bass Fishing Forum [move by] five.bass.limit.

Studies were made that showed severe slime coat and scale damage was resulting form bass tournaments where landing nets were being used. B.A.S.S., being a conservation minded organization adopted the no net rule as a result of the study. Slime coat damage leads to deceased fish.

That's not it...  even if the info is accurate, guys flipping fish into the floor of the boats and letting them flop around long enough to ensure that the slime is evenly removed from both sides of the fish, and the back/belly slime of some as well.   >:(  It kills me to watch.  We talked about this when the classic was going on.

Nice of everyone to worry about bass after the fact of what they go through before they ever reach the boat.

Missed hooksets that are ripped out of their mouths, gills getting torn, we've all had them, setting the hook on bass that swallowed the c rig.

Not too mention when a bass is behind a log and gets drug across it and skinned up or pulled out of the middle of a brush pile.

But lets draw the line on the bouncing them in the boat and off the carpet. LOL

I like the no net rule. Whats so special about having a personal net man in the boat? Co anglers are the ones who net the fish. lol

IF the well being of the fish is really a concern, people wouldn't fish.

more drama = better ratings

Its a lot more exciting to see a pro struggle to get fiesty bass in the boat than... "oh look... it's a big bass... and now watch as the marshall gracefully nets it."

Its all about creating tension, which in turn creates higher ratings, which equals more money for BASS.

Correct-  nothing is lamer than watching FLW coverage, and seeing Billy Bob net the Pro's fish for him.  Drives me crazy...  LAND YOUR OWN FISH!  And yes, the reach down and pull out is way more exciting, (that's what she said...  :o ), than watching a net job.  So on this issue, BASS wins.

Actually, this year's coverage of FLW hasn't shown much coangler interaction with the pro's catch.  Not sure if they changed the rules or not...

Nice of everyone to worry about bass after the fact of what they go through before they ever reach the boat.

Missed hooksets that are ripped out of their mouths, gills getting torn, we've all had them, setting the hook on bass that swallowed the c rig.

Not too mention when a bass is behind a log and gets drug across it and skinned up or pulled out of the middle of a brush pile.

But lets draw the line on the bouncing them in the boat and off the carpet. LOL

Matt,

Surely you are pulling my leg...

We've all had accidents, but we still drive, we've all been hurt playing sports but we still do it... we just try our best to minimize the negative things.

I can't control what happens before I hook the fish and I can scarcely control what a fish does between the hookset and the boat... so does that mean I should say heck with it and just not try or not care at all? Of course not.

We do know for a fact that letting them flop around on carpet and rubbing off the slime is bad for them, so why wouldn't I try to avoid that????

Have you ever caught a big fish and when you started to release her, she went on her side? Didn't you take time to see if you could get her revived and going again instead of just dumping her back in the water and moving on?

Using your logic, we should just use stringers through the gills instead of treated livewells... and drag them around all day. I mean heck, they already got beat up a little, why treat them good now?

It just doesn't make sense to not take care of the things you can control.

GOOD QUESTION!  I don't see that many big fish being caught in bass anymore but even a little on can do a head shake and put those trebles in a hand.  We need the nets back, it's safer.  Nearly all those pros fish with baits that have trebles now too.  That bs about slime comming off in the net is lame.  The stress of being hauled around in a livewell, then kept outa the water and placed back into a diff. spot is the worst.