Sign in to follow this  
bassin  baller

spawning question

i live in michigan and havent had much luck on catching spawning bass here most of our luck is in the postspawn summer and fall. we have caught bass using buzzbaits for bass crusing the shallows but that was limited luck or storm sub warts that go about one foot deep. i want to try some soft baits i have heard that soft jerkbaits work and i got some strikeking zulus to try. i also was wondering when you think the best time to find the bass spawning like may or june or july.the lake i fish is semi clear with docks and dropoffs.in the summer we fish yum houdini worms on jig heads to catch the bass. the other lakes are dark and have creek arms docks weeds and lots of  laydowns and timber in the creek arms.. so i was wondering what you guys thought was the best way to fish for the spawning bass and what types of lures. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum bassin' baller!We have been discussing the factors that are essential for bass to spawn on another thread"spring fishing and spawn".You might not want to go there and then again you might.Take your time and look around the sight.The articles are awesome,there is a lot of great stuff there for the beginner or the seasoned vet.But,to answer your question on lures for spawning fish,I like jigs,tubes,shallow cranks,and an occasional topwater.A big factor to that answer would be if you were sight fishing spawners or not.

Whenever I see these questions, it worries me.  Please keep in mind the populations of the bass on the lake or river you are fishing.  To put it honestly, anyone with the slightest amount of skill can catch a spawning bass.  The question should be, Can my lake or river support the loss of bass due to people fishing the spawn?  

If you fish a river for bass- do not fish the spawn, or at least go and fish deep water (10ft or deeper)to catch pre or post spawners.  Let the bass do their thing and make more bass.  River populations are much more delicate than lakes.  

If you are fishing a lake and it is absolutely loaded with bass, go for it, just make sure you CPR- catch photo release the fish.  Chances are the nest will be heavily raided by the time the fish returns but at least you made an effort!  

If you ever get a day when the water is smooth and it is sunny out and you can see the fish, use a lure without a hook and play them a little.  Just watch the fish for a while and learn something, appreciate what is going on.  You don't have to catch them to have a good day.  

These are my thoughts, not yours-do as you wish, Jeff

bassin baller & Jnamo,

Welcome aboard!

I don't fish for spawning bass.

Jnamo,Welcome to the forums.I have to disagree with you saying anyone can catch a spawning bass.I do not keep any fish though I do take them for a ride to the scales every once in a while.I do not prefer to fish for spawners but I have to on occasion.The effects of catching spawners isn't as bad as alot of people claim it is,after all the buck is the one guarding the eggs and he ain't the one I want.The female lays the eggs and usually is gone not long after.I have a pretty good population on my home lakes.

This topic is a very sensitive one on many different websites. While I have never personally read any research based material on the topic, I have read the posts and talked to biologists that have read and produced such material.

To sum up the information that I have been exposed to and have personally witnessed,...

By removing the "Buck" from the nests, smaller pan fish, salamanders (sp?) and other aquatic creatures eat the eggs in the nest (not to mention birds that eat smaller fish, fry). Unless there are 2 fish on the nest, you are catching the male whom is guarding the nest from the fore mentioned predators.

Smallmouth do not procreate every year. I believe on average only 30-50% of available fish actually spawn. Out of that only a small percentage of the eggs actually become fry, and out of the fry, only a handful if that survives. :'(

I believe the same effects happen to largemouth except that they produce more eggs and in turn have more fry, etc...

Smallmouth populations are more fragile, especially in rivers.

I do not tell people to leave beds alone because I feel the need to be a killjoy. >:(

I just love fishing and want the fish to be there so that my son/daughter can enjoy them too. ;D

If your lake is loaded with fish, go ahead and tie on a tube bait (contrast the color to the bottom of the lake-usually white works well) use one with an exposed hook (don't Texas rig baits for spawning fish) and go for it. Like catching fish in a barrel! ;)

Not all bass on a body of water spawn at the same time, I do fish for bass during the spawn but never intentionaly for single bass on beds, that beeing said I have probably caught hudreds of fish off beds but they are promptly released. I know it what i said makes little sense, but every year I see just as many bass on beds as I do just crusing the shallows , I target these cruising fish, and if I happen to catch one directly off a bed it's unintentional. I DO NOT hover around a bed dragging my bait around it trying to provoke a strike. If I come across an area that has little activity other than bucks on beds I leave and try to find bigger fish.

BassinBaller, welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard Jnamo.

Boy, you sure hit the ground running ;)

Roger

i live in michigan and havent had much luck on catching spawning bass here most of our luck is in the postspawn summer and fall. we have caught bass using buzzbaits for bass crusing the shallows but that was limited luck or storm sub warts that go about one foot deep. i want to try some soft baits i have heard that soft jerkbaits work and i got some strikeking zulus to try. i also was wondering when you think the best time to find the bass spawning like may or june or july.the lake i fish is semi clear with docks and dropoffs.in the summer we fish yum houdini worms on jig heads to catch the bass. the other lakes are dark and have creek arms docks weeds and lots of laydowns and timber in the creek arms.. so i was wondering what you guys thought was the best way to fish for the spawning bass and what types of lures. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hope your bad luck continues.  You should be as far away from spawning beds as possible and at the same time showing your offspring, family and friends a good respect for the resource.

If you want to be a good sport, take a canoe and paddle near enough to see the spawn beds.  Take the kids along and all of you can admire the spectacle.

Hone up your fishing skills (and if you want....cooking skills) on fish that are not spawning.

Use a spinnerbait when fishing on the beds.  If you do fish the beds, try to be quick in releasing the fish.  Just try to not spend all your time fishing the beds.