Sign in to follow this  
Frank19

Question-Bank Fishing

I don't have a boat so I fish from the shore at a local lake. Where I am there is not a lot of shoreline so I don't move around much. For some reason it seems like every time I go I catch a bass within 15-20 min and then I don't catch any more even if I stay there another hour or two. What could be causing this? Is it possible that after I catch the first one it scares all the bass away from that spot? I have caught them both on Senkos and spinnerbait but it just seems like every time after catching that first one right away I don't get another. :-/

small area small population of fish

Yep, you are going to have to move around.

It's actually a good size reservoir. I'd say its somewhere around 10-15 arces or more. The problem is that the only spot where you have access to the lake from the shore is a small park with about 300 ft of shoreline. Then within that 300 ft you only have 3 or 4 spots where you can fish and the rest of the places have too many close trees and such. Anyway, it's just discouraging when you catch something quick and then you stand there in the same spot and you don't catch anything even if you stand there for another 2 horus.

Unless you live in gator country you can ascend, get a belly boat or a pontoon.

You really gotta figure...everyone else who doesnt have access to a boat is also fishing there. There are likely many more people with this same problem that continue to fish the same area of water.

If your only real option is that stretch of bank, I would suggest getting there very early in the day, when you know no one else has fished the area and take your shots wherever you can. Otherwise, I agree with raul. Put a small pontoon or belly boat in the water and explore other areas.

Wayne

I think you guys are right.  Most other fisherman that I see there have boats that they take to the other side of the lake.  On that side there is no access to the lake from the shore.  I guess the area where I am is just over fished.  

I am often stuck on the shoreline and have found that I can usually cast out of some gnarely area by using spinning tackle as opposed to the baitcaster.  Most of the time I am fishing plastics, so that makes it easier to cast from odd angels.  Sometimes you just have to find areas to punch through and get right on the edge of the water.  That's where waterproof boots help!

Not sure how thick the stuff is that you have to get through to get to the water, but a little bushwhacking just might increase your catch rates since you are probably one of a small few willing to fight the thick stuff to get into the fish.

Another shot in the dark.     Is your water clear?    Maybe they can see you.

Do you cast shadows out onto the water?    Are you wearing neutral colors to blend in with shore cover?

Have you downsized your line if water is clear?

If legal, sink some brush out that gives you some targets to hold fish on.

What kind of cover is available to hold the bass?   If not much, don't expect much.

Matt.

The whole reservoir is very shallow. It's about 10' at its deepest point. In spots all over the lake there are big patches of lilly pads. On the shoreline there are a bunch of patches and then there is a ton of clear water and then more patches about 100' out. I usually cast out from the shore to the far lilly pads and then work either a worm or a spinnerbait back in towards the shore. If that totally wasn't working I would say I must be doing something totally wrong but that really isn't the case. Pretty much every time I go I am able to catch a bass within 15-20 minutes of getting there. Then after that the action just goes totally cold and I can't catch anything. Also, I don't know if it tells you anything but so far every bass I have caught has been right around the 1lb mark. They are nothing big.

You might be able to get an idea of what I am talking about from this picture. It was taken last weekend. In the background you can see where I am fishing. The size fish I caught there is typical of what I normally get from that spot. You can see there is a lot of clear water. The only thing you can't see in the picture are the lilly pads. They are more to the left of the picture.

2441306520059920621IGrmnh_th.jpg

I'm new to the site, but I have been fishing since I was ten years old. I've had my fair share of fishing the banks. You really should try and move around as much as possible. I walk the bank about every ten feet and cast along the bank about ten to fifteen times throwing your lure out away from the bank about every foot and a half. Depending on the time of day and weather conditions, I'll throw a spinnerbait or lure of that nature to cover more ground. If the fish are slow or not biting as much, try a soft plastic. my personal favorite for plastic worms are taquila sunrise 10" or a black,red,yellow swirl tiki worm.

If bank space is limited due to heavy cover, try and find a good deal on a used bass buddy or something of that nature.

I hope this helps you.

I had a similer problem on some ponds I fish there where only little spots that here and there

to fish from. I always hooked fish but only one or two so i went out and bought a machete for about 10 bucks sharpend that puppy up wack wack trip to the E.R. some stitches :'(. Then a return trip Wack Wack new fishing spot. did that five or six times problem solved. just make sure that you make the spots out of the way so they dont get over used and bring a buddy to help with the bleeding. ;)

J/M

I would try that somewhere else but this is a public park with a bunch of rules posted on a sign when you go in.  I would probably get arrested if I just started hacking though the brush.  I think most of you guys are right that I am going to either need to get some sort of boat to move around or try a different fishing hole.    

First of all you need to keep moving, when bass travel in schools and you catch one of them, once you release it back into the water it normally spooks the other bass away. So keep moving!

Season will be over here soon...I guess I'll spend the winter figuring out what kind of boat I want to pick up.  I've been knocking around the idea of getting an aluminum Jon boat  ;)

I have the same problem with a local reservoir that holds some respectable fish. You can work your way through the brush around 90% of it but you've got to keep moving and it drastically cuts into your fishing time. I'm looking at getting a kayak next spring.

In my country we r allowed 2 fish only from the bank. This means walking 5-6 hours, climbing etc if u want 2 catch some trophy bass. U need very good physical condition .

Kouris_dam_r.jpg

Imagine fishing the right side of the dam wall.

Talking about hardcore fishing  :)

Wow.  Anyone who doesn't thinking fishing is a sport should walk around that with you sometime.  Talk about getting your exersize  ;D

I've been bank fishing at a small lake near the house and I can identify with the original poster.  If I catch at all, it'll be early and then it dries up.  I move around quite a bit, fishing all the likely spots (lilly pads, logs, stumps, etc.), but I think if I want to catch anything worth while I'll need to get out on the water.

I'm considering buying a kayak just to get my rump out there to the deep areas...

Guest avid

Frank19 - Unfortunately the boat is the only viable option for you.  Untill you get one, live shiners will get you a couple more fish.

Check the pennysavers etc. a used jon boat can be pretty cheap.  WARNING.  Don't take the guys word for it that it doesn't leak.  elevate off the ground with a couple of bricks and put a few inches of water in it.  Small jon boats are easy to car top, or put in the p/u bed.  

Good luck and have fun.

If you want to put some attractive cover for bass by your spot, Bass Pro Shops sells this Bill Dance porcupine fish habitat thingamibob that is "safe" to fish and water and is supposed to provide a "honey hole." Never tried it though.