Sign in to follow this  
BriBass

New Jigs

So i consider myself good at finesse fishing but have never gotten into jig fishing. With all the hype im really ganna do my to learn this year..

Whats your favorite jig? .. And i know its just me but sometimes i look at jigs and wonder with such a think weed guard how the bass even gets hooked cause they seem so stiff i cant imagine how they push down enough to get a good hookset... i know its just me though i guess.. do you guys trim your weed guards?

Looking for a some good jigs to buy and give a go...

thanks in advance

BB

I just started fishing jigs this year as well.  I am currently using Chompers 3/8 and 1/2oz football head jigs and G-Man Jigs Image jigs in football and Poison in 3/8oz.

I know some do trim their weed guards and others don't, I believe it is just a preference thing.  At this time I don't trim my weed guards.

Later, :)

Wish I could stick with one jig but I lose too many :-[. I usually go with the most inexpensive ones that looks good in my favorite colors. If I trim them (sometimes) I cut them on an angle 1/16 to 1/8 above the point of the hook. You can thin the weed guards at the jig head or hold the weed guard and fan the weed guard to the sides (or all of the above ;D). Like most everything in bass fishing, just your preference :)...

skillet

I'm biased to brand.

On the weedguard it is all preference. A weedguard comes in different thickness of fibers and size. There are FG-30's FG40's and a few other sizes. FG30 is the most common on all brands. In FG30's there are a couple different thickness of each individual fibers. Others may too, I just dont use them. I usually use the thinner ones. If my memory serves me right its .020 or something like that.

IMO a longer weedguard is more flexible. Shorter is stiffer. Just like anything else. Steel rod for example, longer one is easier to bend. This is why I use a lighter weedguard most of the time.  I would rather lose a couple more jigs to losing a hog bass.  

I fish all my weedguards just the way they come. If your wanting to lighten up the weedguard take a good pair of scissors or diaganal cutters and cut a few of the fibers out.

And I bet you thought a weedguard is just a weedgaurd that stuck out of a jig. ;D

I fish GMAN, Micro Munch Tackle and Evolution jigs. All three

use high quality components, but the Evolution takes it a step

further:

http://evolutionlures.com/

8-)  

You can have lures in your tackle box or bass in the livewell...you can't have both :)

i trim the weed guard some if its too long. a few millimeters above the hook parallel to the hook shank. if im fishing very sparse cover, ill remove some of the weedguard buy cutting some of it off near the jighead. 80% of the time i fish them straight out of the box.

i cant recommend bitsy bug jigs enough. i like the 1/4oz green craw bitsy bug with a 3" craw trailer like yum's papi (2.75") or netbait's tiny paca craw. if i want a smaller profile i will trim the skirt down a little which will also expose more of the trailer.

bitsy bugs produce numbers for me and although they dont have the best hooks, i have a high hook up ratio. they are also dirt cheap so you can afford to lose some.

ive also heard good things about GMan's jigs although i have not tried them.

Thanks guys,

I think im ganna go with Gmans and give them a try in the widegap... couple questions..

Should i go with "banded" or "wire tie" ?

What size do u think i should start with? 1/4, 3/8? ... im thinkin 1/2 is a little big for gettin me started but wat do you think?

Lastly, how do you guys feel on those colors? I know black and blue is always popular aka "old blue hair" lol  ;D

but any other favorites?

BB

I always give my Booyah and Revenge jigs a "haircut".  This means that a make the weed guard shorter and less thick, how much you cut is up to you.

Like I said above my favorites are Booyah's and Revenge's jigs.  I prefer Booyah for football jigs and swimming jigs, but when it comes to flipping and pitching jigs it's hard to beat a Revenge.

Should i go with "banded" or "wire tie" ?

I buy wire tied as it just seems to be a more secure method of affixing the skirt.

What size do u think i should start with? 1/4, 3/8? ... im thinkin 1/2 is a little big for gettin me started but wat do you think?

The weight depends upon where you're fishing and what depth you're fishing.  I fish from shore and typically use 1/4 and 3/8.  If I was fishing deeper water I'd fish 1/2 more.

Also, consider the types of cover that you'll be fishing.  Football heads are better in the rocks while the poison ones are better at coming through weeds and such.

Lastly, how do you guys feel on those colors? I know black and blue is always popular aka "old blue hair" lol ;D

but any other favorites?

I buy greens, browns, and blacks.  The PB&J color is pretty sweet.

I like like the 1/4 oz Outkast swim jigs with a Yamamoto grub as a trailer. The Yamamoto grub with it's heavy dose of salt helps it run a little deeper than most other grubs that I've tried. The outkast has a doublebarb keeper which helps secure your trailer.

So i consider myself good at finesse fishing but have never gotten into jig fishing. With all the hype im really ganna do my to learn this year..

Whats your favorite jig? .. And i know its just me but sometimes i look at jigs and wonder with such a think weed guard how the bass even gets hooked cause they seem so stiff i cant imagine how they push down enough to get a good hookset... i know its just me though i guess.. do you guys trim your weed guards?

Looking for a some good jigs to buy and give a go...

thanks in advance

BB

I like the Chompers fin.jig and you can't go wrong with the Outcast swimming jig. The Chompers jigs are perfect, no trimming of the skirt and the weed guards are just wright, :)

There are alot of jigs out there dont just stick to one brand find out what you like in a jig.I have grown fond of war eagle but still like strikeworks and you might want to look at talon lures if they dont have the color you want just call and they will make it up for you.

I like the booyah boo jigs because of the narrow head.  They come through brush/timber easily which is where I fish jigs most of the time.

post-11232-130162880993_thumb.jpg

if your gonna fish in and around any vegetation the jig-x from vertical lures is a must have. if nothing else simply for the line tie placement.

basically eliminating all the crap that collects on the knot and tag. :)

I use nothing but Evolution Jigs. I use them for every situation all year

round. I will say they can be tricky for heavy weed cover at times as

they are football head jigs, they are meant mainly for rocky or wood

cover. No matter what brand you buy I would say go with Black & Blue

and Pb & J. Those 2 colors work for me all the time.

I like like the 1/4 oz Outkast swim jigs with a Yamamoto grub as a trailer. The Yamamoto grub with it's heavy dose of salt helps it run a little deeper than most other grubs that I've tried. The outkast has a doublebarb keeper which helps secure your trailer.

I checked out the Outkast Swim jigs and they seem very nice.  I also like their grubs as well.  Going to get a few of these in 1/4oz?

When would you use a 3/8oz swim jig?  I presume for deeper water.

Later, :)