Sign in to follow this  
jasonl

hard Baits in FL lakes

I produce plenty of bass with soft plastics such as texas rig trick worm, wacky senko, and shakey head pro-senko. and when i produce i mean im catching at least three fish an hour.  but i can never seem to catch fish on hard baits. i mainly do shore fishing if that has anything to do with it. and by hardbaits i mean cranks, lipless cranks, topwater,spinner, jigs. pretty much everything but plastics, i cant catch fish on.

I'm in Florida too and for me it was a confidence issue. I became so confident in worms that I gave up on other lures to easily. Go out one day with only non-worm baits and I'm sure you'll start catching them. Probably bigger fish too!

for sure a confidence problem....

ive lived and fished in florida my whole life, and hard baits work wonders.

And, like you, i am boat-less and always fish from shore...

my fav's for bass are...

jointed rapala minnow (black and silver)

fat free shad

full sized zara spook

I produce plenty of bass with soft plastics such as texas rig trick worm, wacky senko, and shakey head pro-senko. and when i produce i mean im catching at least three fish an hour. but i can never seem to catch fish on hard baits. i mainly do shore fishing if that has anything to do with it. and by hardbaits i mean cranks, lipless cranks, topwater,spinner, jigs. pretty much everything but plastics, i cant catch fish on.

I'm gonna get some flack on this one, but to me there is nothing more boring in the world than fishing with any kind of plastic worm zzzzzzzzz puts me to sleep and I catch fish with them.  Went out yesterday pm with a bag of senkos and I was praying for rain so I could go home.....Gimme hard baits any day of the week.

The crankbait bite and topwater bite have slowed for me here in Fl lately, but we have a lot of success on Rapala jointed shad raps, rapala DT's, Spooks, and Torpedos to name a few....

Ya have to actually know how to use a topwater to get a topwater bite ;) JK

Not sure of what kind of water you are fishing but if you are walking the bank my suggestions would be: rapala shallow shad raps,rapala dt flat 3 and dt4 cranks,zara spook puppy and super spook jr,1/8 ounce buzzbaits and spinnerbaits,1/4 oz rattletraps.A frog such as bronzeye or bronzeye popper are essential as well.

thanks for all the input guys. i think its probobly a confidince problem. now when it comes to colors should i be using simple natural colors u think or bright colors??

Depends on water clarity.If you got tea stained reddish or brown water like is common around here then bright colors or shades of whites work just fine. Same if the water is a soupy green.

Plastics,go dark.

I'm gonna get some flack on this one, but to me there is nothing more boring in the world than fishing with any kind of plastic worm zzzzzzzzz puts me to sleep and I catch fish with them. Went out yesterday pm with a bag of senkos and I was praying for rain so I could go home.....Gimme hard baits any day of the week.

If you are gunna pray for rain to go home why go in the first place!?! I guess when the fish bury themselves in that FL cover you are going to pitch/flip a crankbait in to get them huh? ;)

thanks again for the help. i think im gonna try the shallow shad rap, and jointed minnow

I fish some lakes that are really filled with eelgrass & hydrilla, and I will fish a lipless crank or a pointer all the time. Just keep trying. Oh and look for REALLY "FRESH" HYDRILLA Im talking bright green healthy hydrilla, and fish near it. run that rattletrap over it. I promise you thit it will produce #'s and it's been working for me all spring and now

f you are gunna pray for rain to go home why go in the first place!?! I guess when the fish bury themselves in that FL cover you are going to pitch/flip a crankbait in to get them huh?

Thank you, I manage quite nicely with my own style and I don't even need 50# braid and mh rod to yank them little guys out & I'm doing it from high banked canals..........lol

Btw my praying for rain worked, it rained and rained yesterday and we need lots more of it.

Do you know what happens when it rains a lot down here?

Spillways open and do you know what that means?

good news guys. i finally went fishing with just hard baits took to rods. one with spinner and one with a rapala xrap minnow.  i caught three fish on the spninner bait and one on the xrap. felt pretty good

George Welcome and his clients do well with Chug Bugs and

Rat-L-Traps. Read through his website for some other tips:

http://imaginationbassin.com/

8-)

I've always had good luck with rapala minnows from the bank in shallow water near grass or hydrilla.  I work it fast till it hits the bottom, stop and let it float back up a bit, repeat.   Also caught lots of speck on the small suspending husky jerk.

up north we go buy the biggest devils horse they make and pitchem over the grass in the fall and spring and work them slow and consitantly and catch big fish 8-)

The lures I have done well with in Florida are CC shad gold, rapala original minnow gold, rattletrap gold insert, bandit shallow runner powder blue back chartreuse sides, rapala shad gold, notice how the lures are the colors of golden shiners? devils horse chrome, Zara spook chrome, fat free topwater shad shad color, Berkley frenzy crank powder blue, baby johnny rattler bluegill or Jim Pfeiffer color, sugar shad gold color, I could list on and on but bottom line you need to fish with something that you can build confidence in. You know they eat shiners so try to use baits that look like shiners then expand into other lure styles. It just takes time, take baby steps and try to fool them with lures that look like bait and learn different ways to fish each lure. You build confidence by fishing lures that you believe in and your confidence grows as you catch more and more fish on them. You already took the first step just stick with it and work on it every time out success will come then you will be hooked. I grew up in Winter Springs Florida and growing up I was a big worm fishermen I an truly speaking from experience it just takes baby steps and time. ;)

Predominate forage differs from from lake-to-lake, but bass are opportunistic in every lake. I can honestly say that my favorite lures and techniques for Canada, are the exact same lures and techniques I use in Florida and anywhere in between.

If I were limited to a single plug (anywhere USA), it would have to a lipless crank,

more specifically a Spro Aruku Shad.

Roger