NEjitterbugger

Traveling With Rods...

This February my dad, my sister, and I will be going to florida. We do have some rods down their already but I do want to bring some of my other rods that I use for stripers and what not...

What is the best way to get the rods their, ship them? bring them to the airport? I haven't went about doing this before so if anyone has personal experience it will be greatly appreciated...

Depending on how many you want to carry, get the heavy schedule PVC pipe that is used for sewage drains.  Four inch is  available at Home Depot or Lowes.  They have it in two wall thicknesses.  Get the thickest.  Cut to the length you will need for your longest rod.

On one end, glue a cap.  On the other, glue a fitting for a threaded cap/plug.  You won't need to worry about an end falling off.  There you have the container.  Now for the rods.  Get some BPS rod socks.  You'll need to order, or pick up the appropriate lengths for the rod types (spinning or baitcasting).  If you get the right length, they will cover all the eyes so they cannot make direct contact with those on other rods.

I have them on all fifteen rods in my boat.  They go from the rod tip to the reel, so you cannot put one rod tip between the line and shaft of other rods, when stowing them in the compartment..  It's easy to pick the rod you want out of the pile in a rod locker.

They cost five bucks each, and are worth every penny.  Place your rods in the PVC tube, and screw in the plug.  Foolproof, and just about unbreakable.  If you have various length rods, stuff a rag or bubble wrap in the tube, then insert your rods, pushing them all the way in.  Then use a rag, towel or bubble wrap to fill in the end gap so the rods cannot shift back and forth.

Then you can ship them or bring them to the airport as baggage.  Choose which way you think is better.

• Like 1

I've traveled quite a bit, including South America where they are less than careful with baggage.   This is what I've found to be the safest way to do so.

You'll need:

Super Bazooka rod tube.  Even if you aren't taking too many rods it's the best one I've found. 

A pair of heavy hiking socks

6 neoprene rod straps.  If you can't find neoprene then get some that have velcro for fastening.

Since I usually travel with 6+ rods, I'll lay all 6 on the ground.  Now take 3 of them and lay them opposite the other 3.  This way you have rod tips and butt sections against each other.  This will help protect yoru rod tips!

Grab the rods and place the first 2 neoprene straps towards the middle of your rods.  Make sure that the rods tips do not go past the rod butts.  I like leaving a good 3 inches between the rod tip and the end of the butt.  Now take each end, and cover the tips with straps 3 and 4 on each end.  I'll then take a sock and place it over each end to further protect each end.  This also helps as a cushion inside the rod tube. 

The last 2 straps I'll place between the center straps and the end straps, just for added support.  Now slide the entire rod group into the bazooka tube.  I dont like leaving too much room at the end of the tube, just a few inches so adjust it accordingly.  Perhaps this is overkill, but if you want to avoid broken tips this is the best way to go. 

• Like 2

One important thing I forgot.  Remove the reels from the rods.  They can easily be tucked in luggage w/o taking up much space.  If need be, get some sticky labels, or masking tape and number each combo, with the number on the rod and the reel.  Easy to mate them up later.

Do you leave the line on the reels you carry on ?

I've heard a few stories regarding the TSA's humans sometimes require the line to be removed from the reels for carry on . . .

A-Jay

I always leave the line on reels I carry on. Nobody has ever told me it was a problem.

• Like 1

The Bazooka tube with socks on the rod tips is the safest way to fly with rods that I've found. I'm sure the PVC tube will work too. Anything less and expect some busted rods or crushed eyelets when you get to your destination. 

First thing I would do is determine how much money shipping or extra baggage will cost, then double it because you have to come home, secondly how much will packing supplies be, rod tubes or whatever.  Knowing where you will be fishing and what you may encounter 2 outfits can do it all.  I would take into consideration buying a couple inexpensive combos in Florida and just leaving them there for your next trip.

In the W. Palm area there is not a lot of inshore saltwater action this time of year, your best bet to catch fish is bass fishing which is pretty good now. 

Ship them ahead of time. I had an airline break six st croix & loomis rods in a pvc travel tube two years ago on an international flight. They bent the tube 90 degrees 18" from the one end. Must have jambed on a conveyor belt. They did reimburse the full retail value of the rods & case after some hassle on my part. This was an international flight where the rate of reimbursement was mush greater than a domestic flight.   The problem with air travel is that the TSA people rontinuely pull the rods out of the tube to inspect the contents. We have had numerous broken & bent guides from their carelessness. By pre shipping UPS or FedEx you avoid that experience .

I would ship them ahead of time without a doubt. I have had some very bad experiences with shipping rods for use on vacation. I have done the PVC rod container exactly as Fishing Rhino has described. I will not name companies, however a brown truck company managed to break the PVC rod tube. They snapped the solid cap end off, I still would have liked to have seen how they did that. Having seen tire tracks on the PVC tube I knew it was one hell of a ride. I lost 3 rods and the rest were delayed 3 days so I basically lost most of the week I was on vacation. They were insured and I had receipts the amount of hoops I had to jump through to get reimbursed was an absolute joke. I was told that you should take pictures of the rods before shipping and that each rod should have been wrapped individually in bubble wrap. I will now just bring my rods to the retail store and have them pack it and insure it. Granted I will be paying a premium, however if they are broken its refunded no questions asked. Its simply not worth it trying to pack things yourself anymore have them do it. If its broken you just get a check. The runaround I had to go through and twice having my claim rejected fearing I would be on the hook for 1 GLoomis GLX and 2 St Croix Avids was not something I want to go through again.

The reels I brought them in on my carry on with no line on the reels, with my luck I didnt need the hassle of getting stopped at security more than I already have. I hope this helps...

Ship them ahead of time. I had an airline break six st croix & loomis rods in a pvc travel tube two years ago on an international flight. They bent the tube 90 degrees 18" from the one end. Must have jambed on a conveyor belt. They did reimburse the full retail value of the rods & case after some hassle on my part. This was an international flight where the rate of reimbursement was mush greater than a domestic flight.   The problem with air travel is that the TSA people rontinuely pull the rods out of the tube to inspect the contents. We have had numerous broken & bent guides from their carelessness. By pre shipping UPS or FedEx you avoid that experience .

I don't like hearing that noise ~ . . . .

Do you have Terry's home address ?  :laugh5:

A-Jay

• Like 1

I don't like hearing that noise ~ . . . .

Do you have Terry's home address ?  :laugh5:

A-Jay

You were not supposed to read this. I thought you were done posting on this thread.

One other thing.  UPS will cover up to one hundred dollars (I think) in damage, unless you pay for more insurance.  If you're shipping a thousand dollars worth of gear, be sure to get sufficient insurance to cover it.