I.rar

Stradic, Supreme Xt Or?

Looking to replace my saros on my 7' ml/f crucial and am torn between these two. I've owned the stradic and loved it aside from being heavy and bright white. I've had presidents in the past and find them to be an excellent value at their price point but never fished a supreme except the display at bps. I've also considered the revo sx but never seen one in person.

I know I'll get a lot of stradic recommendations but figure I'll ask anyways. Maybe there is another reel around that price point I'm missing?

This reel may see salt water but will be rinsed right after.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of shimano spinning reels, I don't know what it is about them but none of the ones I've used felt right to me.

I don't know if the pflueger patriarch is out if the picture for you, but IMO it's the only reel I've used over 100$ that was worth the extra money. I haven't fished the supreme but I am very happy with pflueger reels.

That being said you seem to have a history with shimano reels, so if it ain't broke why fix it.

What's your price range?

If you're looking for lighter in a Shimano you might could still find an original Stradic CI4 on close out somewhere. If you've got the budget the new Stradic CI4+ is excellent.

I have both Stradic FJs and CI4+ and love them both, but enjoy the lighter weight of the CI4+ for sure. IMHO the Shimano line management system and xship make noticeable improvements.

Also lots of good feedback on here about the Pflueger Supremes but when I was shopping and held them I just prefered the feel I'd the Shimano's.

Looking to spend about 150 on the reel. The stradic and supreme xt are going for just under that on eBay.

There was a patriarch in the flea market some time back that I'm still kicking myself for not picking up.

All my spinners are shimano's. I have always gravitated toward these reels. The new stradics are really nice. I do not see my self buying a spinner for bass fishing ever again, but I can say with confidence that the shimano spinners I do have will last for a long, long time. 

Thats another thing I forgot to mention, I want this reel to last. The rod is the only one I kept because it suits my style perfect and I don't see myself letting it go, ever. I would like the reel to have the same value.

All the more reason to choose the CI4+

:xmas-tree-070:

I know I´m going to get the heat for saying it but .....for spinning reels I prefer Daiwa over Shimano, I own both brands and I like my Daiwas a lot more than I like my Shimanos.

There was a point in time when I fished exclusively in saltwater (offshore) when reel brands like Penn and Newell were in the mix.

But even in saltwater, the classic shootout was Daiwa versus Shimano. At that time, Shimano was my favorite reel brand,

and today about 45 years later, Shimano still has my vote.    :xmasicon_cool:   

Roger

Looking to spend about 150 on the reel. The stradic and supreme xt are going for just under that on eBay.

There was a patriarch in the flea market some time back that I'm still kicking myself for not picking up.

If you're talking about 2 or 3 months back, I got that Patriarch, (sorry) and I love it. I don't have any experience with the shimano spinning reels besides the bps display. But if you have  $150 to spend, I highly recommend saving a little more and getting a brand new Patriarch.

Bought a new Supreme XT, put it on a Ducket rod with 10lb braid and a flouro leader this year.  Used this as a tube rod and the whole rig is really great but that Pfluger Supreme XT is an incredibly smooth reel for the money.  I would highly suggest one.

If you're talking about 2 or 3 months back, I got that Patriarch, (sorry) and I love it. I don't have any experience with the shimano spinning reels besides the bps display. But if you have $150 to spend, I highly recommend saving a little more and getting a brand new Patriarch.

Bah, thats the one. You got an awesome deal!

It looks like I may have to just flip a coin on this one.

I have a couple of Supreme XT's - very nice reel -

And you can get them for a decent price too.

Check it out ~

A-Jay

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Pflueger-Supreme-XT-Spinning-Reels

HEY, check out the flea market now!

I have two Supreme XTs and I really love those reels. I was in a similar debate when I bought them and the determining factor for me personally was the bail. I preferred the XT bail over the Shimano wire style bail. I would also go on record saying its my favorite bail of any spinning reel I have ever used. These reels also stood the test of time and remained smooth over 3 seasons.

• Like 1

If I were to buy a reel for even occasional saltwater use I would not buy a supreme because of it's magnesium construction.  I did use one exclusively for saltwater snook with no problems, but switched it to freshwater not wanting to press my luck.  That reel along with my 2 other supremes, an arbor and medalist are the most trouble free reels I've owned, they just don't break and never need service.  I do own stradics, good reel but something is always going wrong with them and I'm always putting a shim in for a stacking problem, but I do think Shimano has the best line management system.  In fairness every reel brand I've owned, except Pflueger, has needed some kind service or repair.

I don't make recommendations and against my better judgement my next inshore reel may be a symetre, but I'm prepared for some downtime with it, I must be crazy or a glutton for punishment.

Go with Shimano. I have two presidents that work fantastically, but I also have an Supreme MG that the worm gear got stripped on in less than 6 months. You will not have that happen with Shimano. 

Can't go wrong with a ci4, ci4+, or stradic fj. All solid reels, super smooth and very light besides the fj.

I may have to recant my statement about considering a symetre after noticing a supreme xt could be bought for $107.  The original post was regarding using the reel in saltwater as well, the manufacture does claim the xt can be used for inshore as well.  While I'm dubious about the finish on a mg reel in salt, the price would over ride any fear I had.  For a reel doing double duty in both fresh and salt, the 35 size would be my choice @8.6 oz it balances near perfect on a 7' or 7'6 med rod (this I own), compared to a stadic fj 3000 only slightly heavier.  Both good choices but I know what my choice would be given the fact I have caught many saltwater fish with both.  I go back to my track record of never having to service or repair a Pflueger, if needed Pure Fishing is as good as it gets.  I'd be skeptical of the durability of a ci4 with 20# jack crevelles and tarpon.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Found patriarchs for 150 on flea bay and may just go that route. I think the blue and carbon fiber will match with the crucials black blank really well.

I feel the best reel you can buy is the Stradic FJ or Sustain FG, with very little difference to justify the cost of the Sustain. I haven't found another reel as smooth or dependable as the shimano brand and I have tried most. The FJ can be had new under 150 bucks and that is a steel.