1.  No.

2.  You can order Shimano Star Drag or Cal's Drag Grease.  I don't see too much performance difference between either.

Cals drag grease for sure

Drag grease can be used for gears but regular grease needs to be kept away from the drag.

opps.

i just got done cleaning 5 reels and used the star grease on the drags but also the gears...

for the 3 yr year in a row :whistle: 

so are my gears going to be moving faster or slower once i switch to ardent reel butter?

or any other gear grease suggestions?

opps.

i just got done cleaning 5 reels and used the star grease on the drags but also the gears...

for the 3 yr year in a row :whistle: 

so are my gears going to be moving faster or slower once i switch to ardent reel butter?

or any other gear grease suggestions?

You can use drag grease on the gears. 

Your gears will move as fast or slow as you turn the handle. ;)

I personally do not like Reel Butter for anything.

• Like 1

I bought the three pack of ardent lube: bearing lube, gear grease, and reel oil. I used the grease on the drag washers. Are you all saying I shouldn't use any of them? I just did two reels...

Drag grease can be used for gears but regular grease needs to be kept away from the drag.

Agree 100% here, I would get a hold of the Shimano Star Drag Grease.

Cals is great on gears but I wouldn't use it on drag pads...:Victory:

Tight Lines! :fishing1:

Is there anything bad about using say Penn's grease on everything? I use it on gears, drag, worm gear. Is it just not the best route for lubing the drag stack?

Agree 100% here, I would get a hold of the Mysterious.r Drag Grease.

Cals is great on gears but I wouldn't use it on drag pads... :Victory:

Tight Lines! :fishing1:

Why the hesitation to use it on drag washers, that is what it is designed for?   

Cals drag grease is just as it says. You can use it on everything. It is excellent. As for a light oil. Try 321. I read about it on a super tuning article in here and ordered some it is great. Those 2 are all you need

Why the hesitation to use it on drag washers, that is what it is designed for?   

IMPO ...It is a gear grease

Shimano white/fiber drag pads and Carbontex get Shimano drag grease, Daiwa stock and carbontex drags get a single drop of light oil rubbed on. Garcia stock drags and carbontex I run dry, but can also be run with a single drop of oil rubbed on.

Cals is to much like reel butter and imo to sticky & thick, makes a great gear grease though..

Been doing it this way a long time with no complaints...... :Victory:

Tight Lines All! :fishing1:

Cal's actually has a higher documented temperature resistance than Star Drag grease, and is is also designed specifically for drags. Personally, both brands are extremely "sticky," and I'd say Shimano's drag grease feels thicker than Cal's.  Either way, I haven't noticed any difference in durability or performance of either.  At any rate, I exclusively use Carbontex drags in all my reels, and 98.2% of the time, I run them dry.  Works for me.

I use Cals for most everything grease related, I have many reels with Carbontex drag washers and have not observed any ill effects.   I use to run them dry and find that it takes a little more startup pressure but it does increase the max drag pressure available.   I like to use them greased as it seems to me that they are more consistant throughtout all ranges of the drag, and I have not had any sticking or jerking.   Everyone's fishing is different and you have to go with what works for your style.

I use Cals for most everything grease related, I have many reels with Carbontex drag washers and have not observed any ill effects.   I use to run them dry and find that it takes a little more startup pressure but it does increase the max drag pressure available.   I like to use them greased as it seems to me that they are more consistant throughtout all ranges of the drag, and I have not had any sticking or jerking.   Everyone's fishing is different and you have to go with what works for your style.

I used Cals for everything too till this year.I cleaned 2 reels that sat (no use) for 3 years with cals. What a PITA it was to get the grease out of bearings and the grease on the frame was dried up.