Sign in to follow this  
toddwchandler

How Do I Build A Carolina Rig

I have never used a Carolina Rig but want to give it a try. Seems to be an wakeful lot of parts to it. What all do I need to build out this rig? Planning on rigging up plastic lizards on it.

I like to use Carolina Keepers instead of a swivel and bead. It is a cylinder that you can squeeze and run your line through.  It eliminates the swivel and an extra knot.  Sometimes they will slide down if using a heavier weight.  

I slide on my weight, then my carolina keeper to the desired leader length, and finally tie one knot at the hook.  

I like to use Carolina Keepers instead of a swivel and bead. It is a cylinder that you can squeeze and run your line through.  It eliminates the swivel and an extra knot.  Sometimes they will slide down if using a heavier weight.  

I slide on my weight, then my carolina keeper to the desired leader length, and finally tie one knot at the hook.  

Big weights = second carolina keeper

Tungsten weight

Glass bead

Metal clacker disc

Carolina keeper or x2 for 1/2oz +

Hook

Soft plastic of choice

If you don't use the keeper then that's where the swivel would be. Also the clacker is optional.

http://www.bassfishingalabama.com/images/carolinarig.jpg

Tungsten weight

Glass bead

Metal clacker disc

Carolina keeper or x2 for 1/2oz +

Hook

Soft plastic of choice

If you don't use the keeper then that's where the swivel would be. Also the clacker is optional.

http://www.bassfishingalabama.com/images/carolinarig.jpg

This, except I opt for a swivel.  Either way works fine though.

I keep mine 10x simpler than that.

Tungsten weight

Carolina Keeper

Hook and plastic

Thats really all there is to a basic carolina rig. Start adding stuff to that and its not only easier to snag or get weeds stuck on it but its more to go wrong.

I will say though, if you use a barrel swivel in place of a carolina keeper, make sure you use a bead between the weight and knot. Heavy weights smacking into your knots on every cast really compromise them. (I prefer plastic beads for this because they hold up better and are easier on the line

Tungsten Weight

Force Bead

Swivel

Its really not all that much stuff.

As others have said, tha carolina keeper is the gig. On heavier weights, 3/8 and up for me, use two keepers.

I always use a ball bearing swivel. If your bait moves on the hook at all, the bait will spin and really, really make a mess. Weight, bead, swivel, leader and hook.

Your local walmart may have a carolina kit for cheap like 8 bucks max and it comes with a few different sizes of brass weights clickers beads and swivels. It's lazor sharp I believe

Tight lines

Andrew

Not really that many parts. If you're unsure of yourself though, go ahead and give one of these a try. http://www.basspro.com/Kalin-39;s-Carolina-Clacker-Rigs/product/1744/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT Tie it to your main line, tie on the leader, and then the hook. Keeps things simple until you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Go to the General Bass Forum here and under the pinned "Best Of" the Carolina Rig is covered. No matter what hardware you chose to use to make yours it is a great read.