Sign in to follow this  
ChrisD46

Best Time Of Year To Fish Big Worm ?

What are the best times of the year to fish a big worm (i.e. Zoom 'Ole Monster 10.5 inch , Big Bites 10 inch Straight Tail , etc.) ?

I am curious if anyone fishes a big worm in the Fall & Winter - or is this technique basically just a Spring and / or Summer technique ?

Dead of Summer-Full Moon Night...uh! well any night that matter ;)

• Like 1

Warmer months for me, water temps over 65 I'd guess.

Down here in Fla I'll always have a 10" or 7" Anaconda rigged from early spring to late fall.

Mike

July & August

A-Jay

Usually just a late Spring/ Summer bait for me, but I live in Wisconsin. So the temperatures are quite different between you and I.

A big bait can be successful in the dead of winter. Remember bass don't wont to spend more energy then they need for a meal. If given the opportunity where you put the bait right in front of them you can catch some monsters.

• Like 1

Big Bass move slow when it's cold and many will not chase any presentation unless they are actively feeding, and most times they will not move far or expend valuable energy for a small meal. Big Fish also know that chasing a larger bait is not alway's a "slam dunk" so if you fish a big worm super slow and make it appear like an easy meal, it can work all year long. Doug Hannon alway's stressed fishing long thin baits for big fish since they are easiest for a fish to digest, so if they are willing to chase a 4-5" suspending jerkbait, there is no reason why a large worm would not work.

Like anything else, you can't force feed fish, but in the cold, I truly believe that casting accuracy and making multiple casts from different angles to a spot that looks to be a good ambush point can be effective with any bait or lure you have confidence in. Here in Florida lakes still get tons of pressure in the late Fall and Winter and fish are seeing all the finesse worms, suspending jerkbaits, and slow rolled jigs, so it is worth a shot throwing a 10" worm but vary your retrieve from slow to super slow, lift drop, or just cast a big worm near some structure and let it soak for a few minutes....I usually throw a 9" Tripple Ripple Ribbon Tail soaked in Megastrike on almost all trips and I usually just let it sit still for a few minutes while I relax for a bit and I watch the line for any movement as the extra tail action will move on it's own, and some days they will pick it up and you will see your line moving off to one side or another and usually they are good fish. FIsh are not aware about the "Rules" for cold water fishing vs. Summer, and sometimes going against the grain can work, other times not so much, but that is fishing.....

Good points Primetime ... I think a big worm worked slowly could still bring the wood - even thru Winter !

July & August

A-Jay

Especially on ledges here in the Mid South.

:fishing-026:

Especially on ledges here in the Mid South.

And main lake points!!