ww3869

How Many Of You Exclusively Or Nearly Exclusively Fish One Bait Or One Type Of Bait?

I've noticed, reading some random threads, that some people have said that they fish one type of lure/bait almost exclusively and still do well. If this is you...what bait is it and do you fish in mainly one body of water or do you fish it in a variety of places and still catch fish? I think this would help people that are just starting out that haven't built up a huge collection of lures yet and don't have loads to spend on lures.

A couple of years ago, I would go fishing with a few packs of senkos in one pocket and a pack of hooks in the other. Senkos were all I fished with for a few years, and I absolutely wore the fish out. Then I discovered this site and started learning new techniques, and the bait monkey has controlled my paychecks ever since. I don't really catch as many fish now, but the quality and size has improved alot.

Part of the fun of bass fishing is the endless possibilities there are to catch them.

When I was younger I only fished with 3 different lures.  Why?  Cause that's what my grandfather did.  Inline spinners, 2 inch Mr. twister grub on a leadhead and the small Rebel rip baits.  Had a blast wearing them on those but now use much more variety.

I always have an assortment of lures on me as I try to be covered for as many scenarios as possible. HOWEVER, when I'm specifically looking for bass larger than 12" in my local lake, I almost exclusively use frogs to the point where I really shouldn't be using them. I'm guilty of being addicted to top water blow-ups and because of this many times I get skunked or have very little success. You'd think I'd learn my lesson eventually. 

I usually have 6-12 rods on the deck at a time so this certainly does not apply to me. 

• Like 3

If you can carry gear - carry it and learn how/when/where to use it. If I'm in a boat, I'll approach this a lot differently than if I'm wading. It's always better to have and not need than need and not have.

Exception #1

If I'm wading a river with either medium or medium light spinning gear for smallmouths, I may only carry grubs/tubes/flukes and poppers in a variety of colors along with jig heads, and basic terminal tackle if I need to travel light since space is at a premium. Also, this only works if I know those basic lures will produce under the likely conditions.

Similar, if I'm fly-fishing (and I'm still pretty green with the long rod, but it's a similar idea), and I can see the hatch is going to be a brown caddis in a 16-18 size... I'm only going to worry about carrying the handful of flies that are going to best match what's on the water and not necessarily be as concerned with lugging along boxes of every streamer I own.

Exception #2

If I'm trying to learn a new presentation/bait/technique/cast/etc, I might only take the few pieces of tackle necessary to learn and practice it to force myself to improve that versus immediately switching back to something I have a ton of confidence in.

I usually have 6-12 rods on the deck at a time so this certainly does not apply to me. 

Same here. But a lot of the guys I fish against are "one trick wonders". 

Shoot I fished a "frog only" tournament and had 6 rods on the deck and 2 more in the locker with different frogs on them..  Even fishing around where I live from shore I always have 2-3 rods.  But I carry a small arsenal in the car of what produce the best for the time of year.  I do know when I was younger, I killed it with a roostertail.  Have friends that fish only an Ika, Senko, and a shallow crankbait.  I can't do that, there are just too many baits out there to catch fish on.

That's me.  95% dropshot, 5% tube.  I have a jerkbait tied on in the spring, but it only gets a few casts each trip.  Come summertime, I have 3 or 4 dropshot rods rigged up with different baits and one tube rod.

Different strokes...

I predominately fish worms...for me, they work, and fishing 

is about enjoyment, *catching*, and having fun, not about

money, tournaments, etc.

So 4" senko-style worms are my go-to, but I also use 5", 6"

as well as other types of worms (ribbon tail, Finesse, Trick, etc.).

This isn't a 100% of the time thing. I fish jigs, swimbaits, 

spinnerbaits, cranks, lipless cranks, etc. Just not nearly as often

as worms....

I've only been bass fishing for about a year and a half and from the beginning the bait monkey jumped on my back so I wanted to learn about every kind of bait out there. Now, I wish I would have only fished one type of lure for a couple years to develop a main confidence bait. When I go fishing now I open my tackle box and can't decide what to use cause one bait doesn't leap out as my confidence go to bait.

No , but the great majority of my fishing is done with the big four . Texas rigs , spinnerbaits , crankbaits and top waters .

I've only been bass fishing for about a year and a half, and have had a wide variety of baits most of the time. However, I fell into the trap of throwing spinnerbaits 95% of the time due to early success. I've made a point of using other baits this year. Feels great to catch a fish on a new bait. Finally caught my first (and second, and third) bass on a jig this morning. Now, I'm excited to throw a jig next time I'm out.

I've only been bass fishing for about a year and a half and from the beginning the bait monkey jumped on my back so I wanted to learn about every kind of bait out there. Now, I wish I would have only fished one type of lure for a couple years to develop a main confidence bait. When I go fishing now I open my tackle box and can't decide what to use cause one bait doesn't leap out as my confidence go to bait.

You know, everyone has an opinion on how to fix that.

I just think if you want to enjoy your outing and maximize

your time, less is more. Now that doesn't mean only fish

one type of bait one way. If you did soft plastics, you 

could rig one wacky, another TX, another mojo...

Just my .02. Good luck.

Not just 1 type of bait, rather 7. I simply don't have the discipline or space to carry a little bit of everything. Rather, I fish what I like and have become proficient with each. I mostly target smallmouth and brown trout with -

Lipless cranks

Jerkbaits

Paddle tails swimbaits

Poppers

Tubes

Senkos

Flick shakes

If I can't catch them on that, to heck with them. I should probably get into the spinnerbait game, but it just doesn't trip my trigger. I have 7 combos, 1 each dedicated to those techniques. Drop shotting is something I should probably add to the tool belt. I like throwing hard baits, and the other half is mostly bfs like small paddle tails and flick shakes on 1/16 to 1/8 Oz.

I throw a variety of lures till I get action. If I stay with one lure that catches nothing I'm missing out on the reason I'm there. I throw most lures. From hard baits, to spinnerbaits, to online spinners, to c rigs with plastics. I'm shore fishing and carry five rods. Using the wrong line test can influence the lures action. Why throw just one lure?

Patterns can change too. Accept the change, the challenge.

Learn each lure along with the different presentations and you will become a better bass fisherman. Learn everything we can.

I am an admitted plastics freak ;)

Plastics are the #1 lure for both quanity & quality!

Straight tail worms, curl tail worms ribbion tail worms, lizards, craws, creatures, frogs, tubes, stick baits, swim baits, or grubs I throw them all.

Texas rig (weighted/unweighted), Wacky rig, Carolina rig, Drop Shot rig, Mojo rig, Grass jig, Brush jig, Standup jig, Shacky Head, Tube jig, Slider jig, Swim jig, Round head jig, Ned rig, & Rage rig.

Dragging, Hopping, Stroking, Swimming, Flipping, Pitching, or Punching in every conceivable type of cover.

Fished on top, on the bottom, & every depth in between.

Fished in streams, bayous, creeks, rivers, ponds, marshes, lakes, & reservoirs.

They work in every seasonal pattern, weather condition, & in everyvwater clarity.

One trick pony! LMAO!

I use jigs 90% of the time, because of their versatility, and they catch bigger fish. You can skip them, swim them, hop them, flip them, drag them, etc. all in one cast! 

I carry five rigged rods on the deck and I usually use all of them in the course of a day.  BUT... I tend to get hung up on one presentation or another and fish it 90% of the time.  Last year, I fished mostly jigs and Senkos.  This season, I seem to be hung up on a lightly-weighted, T-rigged Havoc Pit Boss or Missile D-Bomb.  But I always start out the early morning hours throwing topwater stuff.  And there are a few places that I just HAVE to throw a wacky-rigged Senko.

I was just thinking to myself today that I need to change things up more often when fishing is slow...  I don't know why I don't.

Tight lines,

Bob

I fish a variety of baits however the local fishermen in my area only fish two baits year round 40 degree water to 90, white spinner bait and a t rig worm of some kind. It's so bad that my dad constantly jokes about it when pass another boat and the sad part is he's right. Today I saw a guy fish a buzz bait which marks two months since I've seen another angler on my local water not throwing a spinner bait or a worm. When I'm at the ramp guys ask me "was it the worm or the spinner today?" They look at me strange when I reply caught 6 on a crankbait and 4 on a popper. The thing that gets me is the spinner bait is very hit or miss on my water and while a t rig worm can be effective it is very slow going at times when other baits are red hot. I don't mind it though because it means most fish rarely see my lures and are more apt to bite them.