Greeniesr

Braided Line To Bait

When if any, do you tie your bait directly to braided line....ie crankbaits, frogs, creatures....

Frogs and all topwaters, punching thick grass mats, and  very dirty water. Everything else get's a fluorocarbon leader.

• Like 1

When if any, do you tie your bait directly to braided line....ie crankbaits, frogs, creatures....

I generally tie direct anymore. The places I usually fish are filled with weeds and the line blends in.

If I find clear water, I tie a fluoro leader.

Josh

I generally tie direct anymore. The places I usually fish are filled with weeds and the line blends in.

If I find clear water, I tie a fluoro leader.

Josh

^^This^^....except I would add that if I'm throwing around a lot of laydowns or stumps I'll generally tie on a short lighter weight fluoro leader.  Lot easier to break off an 8 lb leader than 20 lb Powerpro if I get an irretrievable snag.

• Like 1

Frogs, some topwater baits (buzzbaits, some walking and popping baits), heavy flipping/grass fishing, and dirty water.  As mentioned above, everything else gets either fc or mono topshot/leaders.

I almost always tie everything direct regardless of water clarity. Except as mentioned above with lots of wood, which for me is typically rivers, and then it's just a mono leader.

I'm pretty lazy, and I go direct for a lot of my lures. One situation I definitely wouldn't go direct would be crankbaits, but I don't use a leader with topwaters, jigs, spinnerbaits, or rattle traps. I probably should start though.

I tie everything direct. I refuse to make fishing more complicated than it has to be.

Been a fluro and mono guy.  Just started into braid and, so far, I love it.  However, I HAVE been tying straight off braid to my lures.  No leader.  Was wondering if I was doing myself any sort of justice, but the water where I fish is usually at least stained slightly, so I figure I'm fine, as is.

I've snapped far too many spinnerbaits off tied to a leader... these days pretty much everything except spinnerbaits are attached via a monofilament of some description.

oe

I tie direct to frogs and when I'm fishing vegetation. 

Based on my personal experience I have no evidence which setup is best.  My preference is leader, never tie my braid direct to lure.

The only time I fish straight braid is when I'm throwing a fluke or frog around pads

If useing a baitcaster I tie all baits and hooks direct, regardless of the line I use.

The only time I use a leader is on a spinning rig and that is only for the lighest of presentations.

Mike

^^This^^....except I would add that if I'm throwing around a lot of laydowns or stumps I'll generally tie on a short lighter weight fluoro leader.  Lot easier to break off an 8 lb leader than 20 lb Powerpro if I get an irretrievable snag.

this is me.... i don't use a leader because of visibility, i use them so i can break off a snag when needed.  You'll break a bone sometimes before you'll break off 30-50lb braid!! 

only for frogs and topwaters do i tie direct.

I tie braid straight to baits on two spinning rods and a frog combo. But I still have mono on my BC combos for topwaters and T-rigs. I know conventional wisdom would be braid with a leader for the T-rigs, but I might want to use that combo for something else and it seems to be working well. Plus I hate the feel of the leader going thru the guides.

I use a mono leader for all soft plastics.  I tie directly to braid for everything else.

Why?

Because I'm too stubborn/cheap/old school to buy flourocarbon and mono is less visible in the water than braid.  I'm convinced that especially in clear and/or hard fished waters, relative "invisibility" can make a huge difference on a slow moving bait.

Ah. 

I'm torn on the visibility issue.  I fish some soupy water and don't worry about it.  But, also, I haven't dismissed the argument (maybe Bill Murphy or Buck Perry?) that felt the line leads fish to the bait sometimes.  I must admit that I've seen small bass near the surface checking out the line and then try to eat the bait as it comes up to the boat....could be a whole lotta different going on inside the head of a six-pounder, however.