Sign in to follow this  
Dat_Bass

Best All Around Casting Rod

Alright so, I just got my first bait caster and it's time to select a rod. I'm planning on doin a wide variety of things varying from throwing a weighted Texas rig to buzz baits to frogs to square bills and I need a nice overall rod. It's not gonna be my money I'm spendin but I wanna keep it under $200 for sure and try keeping it under $160. Anything helps! Thanks!

Check out Powell at $160. Or a handful of company's make good $100 rods.

Any specific brands or types?

I'm a fan of Fenwick.  I have rods on both sides of the Elite Tech Bass series.  If this series is anything like the Aetos or Smallmouth series then it is a very good rod for the money.

Regardless of brand, a MHF is probably going to be your best bet for an all-around rod.  There are quite a few good to excellent rods in the $100-$160 price range.  My Aetos is a beautiful rod that is also quite sensitive.  Would have to be used or on sale to get it for less than $160.   The Okuma Helios is a $180 rod at most places.  Can get the 7' MH at Amazon for $136.46.  Don't know if shipping is free.  Think it depends on the seller.  I bought a rod that was less than $100 off Amazon that was sold by Reds Gear and shipping was free from that seller.  Tackletour did a review of the Helios 7' M and gave it a "Great" rating.

• Like 1

I just picked up a MH/XF Kistler on sale from T** W*** that's rated as an all purpose rod that'll throw 1/8 - 3/4 oz. I've tried it with Con**** A and Shimano reels and put it right up there with my 14-1 and MH/F Veritas rods, which are my two long time favorites.

There are so many great rods at your price point, you can't really go wrong.

Best of luck choosing your 1st (of many, hopefully) BC rod.

My best all around rod that i have is a daiwa tatula 6'10" Medium Heavy - Fast Action it can and will do everything you listed

Do yourself a favor, throw down a few more bucks and just get a Dobyn's champion 734