Sign in to follow this  
grousemandave

Lead free jig heads

Hi - brand new to the site and have NEVER posted to any site. Does anyone know where to get lead free mushroom jig heads for finesse fishing for bass.  New Hampshire where I do my smallmouth fishing is mandating lead free under 1 oz.  Thanks

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~

Know of plenty of other jig heads profiles that are tungsten - round & shakey heads etc. - just not any mushroom shaped head - Sorry

A-Jay

Tackle Warehouse  Elite tungsten shaky head is about as close to mushroom that I know of.  Also Vike which is the same item, different brand.  If there is a difference, I cannot see it.  Just over a buck per each.

Available in 3/16th and 1/4 ounce weights.  3/16th has a 4/0 hook, the 1/4 ounce has a 5/0 hook.  The Vike comes in a two pack, and the Elite in a three pack if memory serves.

Elite Tungsten Shaky Heads

Elite Tungsten Shaky Heads

Site sponsor Siebert offers tungsten jigs, not the mushroom head.

If you are looking to use a Neko/Ned rig, try using a tungsten nail weight with wacky rigged about 1" back from the flat  cut off nose end soft plastics.

Tom

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Worm-Nose-JigbrSz-332-18-316-14-516brHk-570-or-575brCollar-Double-Barb_p_558.html

Find someone who has this mold and see if they can pour some heads out of tin/bismuth mix. I would check with Seibert first but someone has to have this mold.

Allen

3 minutes ago, Munkin said:

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Worm-Nose-JigbrSz-332-18-316-14-516brHk-570-or-575brCollar-Double-Barb_p_558.html

Find someone who has this mold and see if they can pour some heads out of tin/bismuth mix. I would check with Seibert first but someone has to have this mold.

Allen

I have both that mold and the worm nose mold without the collar but have never tried pouring anything other than lead. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I have both that mold and the worm nose mold without the collar but have never tried pouring anything other than lead. 

There is a company that sells lead, tin, bismuth, etc. in different mixtures. Tin melts at a much lower temp than lead (400 v 600) so you will just need to turn the pot temp down. For a quick test try pouring some lead free solder wire as it is mostly tin.

Allen

• Like 1

Lead molds are made from aluminum alloys, you need a stainless or tool steel (P20) steel for higher melt temperature metals.

Tom

Melting temp:

Lead = 620

Tin = 450

Bismuth = 520

http://www.rotometals.com/lead-free-pewter-casting-metal-s/23.htm

Pewter works but the density is less than lead.

Lead has a density of 11.34 g/cm3 while tin's is only at 7.29 g/cm3.

Allen

Does anybody sell a Tube jig head that is Lead free?