Sign in to follow this  
LC-bass

Adjusting crankbaits

Just bought some new crankbaits and a few of them are not running true out of the box. How do you adjust crankbaits to get them to run straight? 

I bend the eye one way and if it gets worse then i go the other way .  

• Like 2

I've always found those Berkley shads and Norman cranks to be the worse out of the box.

2 hours ago, LC-bass said:

Just bought some new crankbaits and a few of them are not running true out of the box. How do you adjust crankbaits to get them to run straight? 

Keep your receipt and exchange the lures or upgrade the brands you buy.

:fishing-026:

• Like 2

Cast your crankbait and see which way it is running. If it is running to the left, get your needle nose pliers and grip the eyelet of the crankbait and twist the eyelet to the right. It does not take much much so just do a little at a time, It is also best to lay your pliers flat on the bill of the crankbait instead of gripping it on the top. If it goes right, twist left. I don't know if I have found a brand that is going to run true out of the box all the time. Even the most expensive crankbits need tuning some sometimes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roadwarrior said:

Keep your receipt and exchange the lures or upgrade the brands you buy.

:fishing-026:

X2. Unless you got em out of the dollar bin.

52 minutes ago, tander said:

Cast your crankbait and see which way it is running. If it is running to the left, get your needle nose pliers and grip the eyelet of the crankbait and twist the eyelet to the right. It does not take much much so just do a little at a time, It is also best to lay your pliers flat on the bill of the crankbait instead of gripping it on the top. If it goes right, twist left. I don't know if I have found a brand that is going to run true out of the box all the time. Even the most expensive crankbits need tuning some sometimes.

X2.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tander said:

This is the ticket. And the upgrade brands thing... Nope.. I have never seen every bait from one brand run straight out of the box either.

• Like 1

A crankbait tuning tool - found on page #316 on the 2016 BPS Master Catalog, makes the whole process of tuning cranks much easier.   You can have the finest set of needle nose pliers made, and the tuning tool still works better.   First world problem solved by spending %5.49.

I grab a set of pliers, and whichever way the crank is running, I bend the line tie (where you tie your line, generally connected to the bill) opposite of where the crank is running wild, but not so much to where it's running to that direction.