A fisher

Rod and line for pitching and flipping wood

What rod and line for fishing laydowns and other light wood. No vegetation on the lake I fish

Personally I would use the same setup as if I was flipping into heavy cover. 30-50 lb braid to make sure you don't break off and Heavy/Fast rod with the brand of your choice. JMO, tight lines.

-Payton

7'3+ heavy action rod and 20# fluoro. Braid has poor abrasion resistance. If you are one of the braid + leader types, then add a fluorocarbon leader to your braid mainline.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A fisher said:

Thanks, to save money should I use mono backing

Definitely spool up about a quarter spool or so of the cheapest mono you can find.

-Payton

I'd also opt for 20# FC over braid in this situation. 

For me vegetation = braid. Rock, wood = FC

I'd look for a rod in the 7'-7'6" range, at least MH power, and Fast or XF action. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help, what's a good reel under 100? Will any reel work? Was looking at the pflueger supreme for the 20 pounds of drag

Pflueger is a nice reel. Under 100? I go either with that one or 2015 abu pro max, lews makes some good ones like the LFS?? Series? I think that 100.00. All nice pitching reels.

For around a 100.00 the BPS Pro Qualifier is hard to beat. 

Mike 

• Like 2

So if the rod I'll be using doubles as a frog rod, can I put braid on with a FC leader? If so, how long of a leader? Also, micro guides or regular guides for flipping, pitching, and froggin?

1 hour ago, A fisher said:

So if the rod I'll be using doubles as a frog rod, can I put braid on with a FC leader? If so, how long of a leader? Also, micro guides or regular guides for flipping, pitching, and froggin?

Short answer, yes.  With micro guides I wouldn't use anything more then about 3-4ft.  I use a 7'3"H Falcon with micro's that I have flipped and pitched with in the past and is now one of my frog rods.  Just make sure your knot is small enough to go thru the guides.  I used 30lb braid with 17lb FC, and it worked fine.  Not sure how heavy you plan on going.  

I don't use a different rod for flipping/punching grass or flipping and pitching wood/docks/laydowns/etc.... My "do-all" flipping rod is a custom built rod on a 7'3" H power, fast action MHX blank from the their "Mag Bass" line. I have it paired with a 7.3:1 Daiwa Exceler reel, spooled up with 50lb braid. I use a 15,17, or 20 lb fluorocarbon leader when fishing ultra clear water and/or docks + wood, and I tie direct to the braid when punching heavy grass. This rod has enough power to muscle XL fish (5+6lbs) out of the heaviest cover we have around here, yet has enough "tip" that I can pitch 5/16oz finesse flipping jigs into tight spots. It's one of the few flipping rods I have owned that "feels right" with the smallest weights I use on it (the previously mentioned 5/16oz jigs + 1/4 oz. T-rigs) all the way up to 1+ oz jigs and t-rigs for punching. 

3 hours ago, gulfcaptain said:

Short answer, yes.  With micro guides I wouldn't use anything more then about 3-4ft.  I use a 7'3"H Falcon with micro's that I have flipped and pitched with in the past and is now one of my frog rods.  Just make sure your knot is small enough to go thru the guides.  I used 30lb braid with 17lb FC, and it worked fine.  Not sure how heavy you plan on going.  

Can you tie a knot small enough to fit through micro guides and which are better, micro or regular for flipping, pitching, and frogging? Thanks for all the advice!

1 hour ago, A fisher said:

Can you tie a knot small enough to fit through micro guides and which are better, micro or regular for flipping, pitching, and frogging? Thanks for all the advice!

I can, but I don't use anything over 30lb braid and nothing heavier then 17lb FC on my micro guide rods.  I will say micro's aren't for everything.  I have both incase I'm fishing somewhere where the surface scum is bad and can cause the micro's to get fouled then I'll fish regular or Macro (little smaller then standard guides).  If you can tie a FG knot or a nice compact Albright knot it should fit thru the guides.  And reference wise, my micro guided rods are all Falcon Bucoo's so you know about what size those are.  And at times you may not need more then 18-24" of leader when flipping. That's nomally the length I fish 90% of the time.