James Frise

What kind of Catfish is this?

I'm not one to fish for catfish, but I caught this little guy tonight and I was wondering what kind of catfish it is. (I live in South Florida if that helps)  

Edit: After some research I am thinking it is a yellow bullhead. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks like a brown bullhead to me.  It looks similar to a small channel cat, but channels have forked tails unlike bullheads so it must be a bullhead. 

1 minute ago, IndianaFinesse said:

It looks like a bullheads to me.  It looks similar to a small channel cat, but channels have forked tails unlike bullheads so it must be a bullhead. 

But what kind of bullhead? In Florida I think there are 3 different kinds of bullheads. 

I would guess a brown bullhead, but I wouldn't bet on it.

For little guys, they have amazingly strong jaws.  If they latch on to a finger or thumb, it is a bear to pry them loose.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, BrowardBassin said:

I'm not one to fish for catfish, but I caught this little guy tonight and I was wondering what kind of catfish it is. (I live in South Florida if that helps)  

Edit: After some research I am thinking it is a yellow bullhead. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yellow Bullhead

• Like 5

1 minute ago, soflabasser said:

Yellow Bullhead

Thanks

• Like 1

Your welcome. Try casting out bluegill as cutbait on a 2/0-3/0 hook .There are probably channel catfish in that lake and they can exceed 20 pounds down here.

• Like 1

Just now, soflabasser said:

Your welcome. Try casting out bluegill as cutbait on a 2/0-3/0 hook .There are probably channel catfish in that lake and they can exceed 20 pounds down here.

Your welcome. Try casting put bluegill as cutbait on a 2/0-3/0 hook .There are probably channel catfish in that lake and they can exceed 20 pounds down here.

That's exactly what I did lol same hook size and bait

• Like 1

Just now, BrowardBassin said:

That's exactly what I did lol same hook size and bait

Yes it's a great way to catch catfish. They also like chicken liver,hotdogs,and bread.

We call em butter cats.( yellow bullhead)My favorite eating catfish.

• Like 1

According to my Petersen's Guide To Freshwater Fishes, it looks like a yellow, brown or black. And the maps show only the yellow and brown in FL and the yellow stops about the Everglades, while the brown covers the entire state.

We've got plenty of yellows and browns in N.Florida.World record yellow was caught in the cedar river here in Jax.Okefenokee swamp in a Georgia is full of them too.

I sometimes run trot lines for them in the Ocala forest.All you can eat!!!

• Like 2

First catfish I ever caught was on a Mepps spinner. I lifted him out of the water onto the bank (I was about 13 or so) he opened his mouth, and the bait came free. He was just too stubborn to let go

• Like 1

Ah man, i thought this was about fried catfish..

Too bad..

On 6/13/2016 at 8:30 PM, N Florida Mike said:

We've got plenty of yellows and browns in N.Florida.World record yellow was caught in the cedar river here in Jax.Okefenokee swamp in a Georgia is full of them too.

I sometimes run trot lines for them in the Ocala forest.All you can eat!!!

How big was the yellow bullhead caught in Jacksonville?I read about a 6 pound, 6 ounce yellow bullhead that was caught in Missouri.That one was a monster for its species,since the average size is around a pound or so.

• Like 1

The one caught in Jax.   was actually the state record BROWN bullhead.Caught in little cedar creek.5.91 pounds I think.

• Like 1

5.91 pounds is a giant for any species of bullhead, would like catching a bullhead that big.Talking about catfish is making me want to do a night trip for catfish,it's been a while since I have specially targeted catfish.Might fish for channel catfish this weekend. 

• Like 2

I caught a brown bullhead back when I first started fishing for flatheads that would have broken the world record. It was an ounce or two over 8 pounds and ate a green sunfish I was fishing for flatheads. I had no idea what it was. It looked like a flathead, except it had a big, round head like a channel cat. The mottled coloration and rounded tail made it obvious it wasn't a channel though. My buddy and I, (he was 12 and I was 14 at the time), thought I'd caught a hybrid channel/flathead and turned it loose without even thinking twice about it. Some years later, when I became more educated about it, I realized the fish I'd caught was actually a massive brown bullhead. Not even sure I took a picture of it, since 8 pounds is a pretty small flathead. 

• Like 3

Yeah I'm getting the catfish fever too.I plan to camp on an island out in the home lake and see how many I can catch all night.There's channels, browns and yellows now.Hopefully the otter won't come back!!.I caught a 22 pound channel cat in here years ago.

• Like 1

The yellows are the only ones that are light brown to pale yellow like that.They are the palest of the bullheads .They can have some dark coloration but are mostly yellowish.

The browns are specked dark/ white blotches.

Blacks are very dark.

I have actually caught a few albino channel cats in a stocked farm pond.

The tail is also rounded,which indicates a yellow too

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, N Florida Mike said:

The yellows are the only ones that are light brown to pale yellow like that.They are the palest of the bullheads .They can have some dark coloration but are mostly yellowish.

The browns are specked dark/ white blotches.

Blacks are very dark.

I have actually caught a few albino channel cats in a stocked farm pond.

The tail is also rounded,which indicates a yellow too

Yup seems ur right which I felt like I should now this because I fish these guys a bit. I catch lots of black bull head only a few brown and yellows they seem to end the most rare in the ponds by me. The belly seems quite bright is why I thought it was a brown but the yellows I was catching looked like this which is actually albino I think

IMG_0680.JPG

Edited by Fish yeeter
  • Like 1