Sign in to follow this  
tcbass

Couple of questions about Minn Kota Ulterras?

I'm asking these questions in this thread bc I don't see a lot of reviews of the Ulterra when I google search it.

1.)  What's the general consensus on the Minn Kota Ulterras, are they a solid, reliable, unit?

2.)  Did they fix the Spotlock feature on them? I thought I read that they shrunk down the radius which it encircles and made them more accurate. 

3.)  Do they ever go on sale? Like do they normally go on sale at the end of the fishing season?

4.)  Where is a good place to buy one, who has the best prices?

The new models due out this Fall will have the new GPS with Heading Sensor for improved Spotlock positioning. No, the current ones cannot be retrofitted.

• Like 1

You might see them go on sale when the Ultrex comes out in October.

1 hour ago, Wayne P. said:

The new models due out this Fall will have the new GPS with Heading Sensor for improved Spotlock positioning. No, the current ones cannot be retrofitted.

Ah. So if Ulterras go on sale this fall they maybe just getting rid of the older models. 

Is there gonna be a new name or anything?

How will you know if you're getting one of the new ones? Will it say, "New & Improved"?

The Ultrex is the new kid on the block. It is a combo cable steer and electric steer with a folding mount like a Fortrex.  It can be used either way and has iPilot or iPilot Link.

The other models will be their current names with improved Spotlock. Freshwater and saltwater version of the same electric steer motors.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

The Ultrex is the new kid on the block. It is a combo cable steer and electric steer with a folding mount like a Fortrex.  It can be used either way and has iPilot or iPilot Link.

The other models will be their current names with improved Spotlock. Freshwater and saltwater version of the same electric steer motors.

The problem with the Ultrex is that it doesn't have Spotlock, auto deploy, or auto trim, that I now of. 

I just switched from a cable to a electric. I hated the cable. So hard to use. I don't know why it was, maybe bc I'm short but my leg for tired from just an hour of fishing and fighting that thing. And the tension was low too. 

40 minutes ago, tcbass said:

The problem with the Ultrex is that it doesn't have Spotlock, auto deploy, or auto trim, that I now of. 

I just switched from a cable to a electric. I hated the cable. So hard to use. I don't know why it was, maybe bc I'm short but my leg for tired from just an hour of fishing and fighting that thing. And the tension was low too. 

Obviously you don't know all about the Ultrex. It DOES have Spotlock and does steer either with the foot pedal with cables or remote control electrically. It is a combo Terrova and Fortrex.

It is electric power steering when using the cable steer foot pedal. There is a Spotlock button on the foot pedal you can use rather than the remote control if you don't have the remote handy.

There is an accessory mount for the Humminbird bow 360 transducer.

Yes it does not have electric deploy or depth trim.

There is a facebook video of a pro demonstrating it with the 360 attached, but I cannot get the link to post on this site. JC Pro Angler is the facebook name. The link was posted on another website and it works.

Also do a search for Minnkota Ultrex Trolling Motor at ICAST 2016. Watch the presention by Bill Carson, Bret Ehrler, others too.

• Like 1

I'm really liking what I'm seeing with this Minn Kota's new Ultrex~

Might be a one season of use Fortrex for sale soon.

:)

A-Jay

2 hours ago, A-Jay said:

I'm really liking what I'm seeing with this new Minn Kota Ulterra ~

Might be a one season of use Fortrex for sale soon.

:)

A-Jay

Ultrex. :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tim Kelly said:

Ultrex. :) 

:D

I knew that . . .

Fixed it

A-Jay

• Like 1

I swapped a a Terrova for an Ulterra this spring...wouldn't go back.

Did spot lock get better?  I dunno...both are more than good enough.  I think characterizing Spot Lock as needing to be fixed is inaccurate and misleading, IMO.  The spot lock on the Terrova was industry leading and exclusive to Minn Kota for several years while the competition struggled and rushed to find a way to copy it...to criticize it compared to more recently released technology feels...like someone with a competitive agenda is trying to find fault....

Invaluable features on the Ulterra:

1. Power trim.
    1. When I need to run shallow to get a stuck lure...up she goes, without resetting the collar, or having to hang onto the cord to keep a Fortrex style motor shallower in the water.
    2. When I am out deeper, I can sink my 60" shaft deep so that only the TM motor head is sticking up...more room to cast.
  2. Auto deploy and stow is great stuff.  Way easier when coming into a spot to deploy while shutting down the main motor and grabbing a rod to start fishing.  Easier when getting ready to go to hit the button while storing the rod and I'm ready to go by the time I'm done with the rod.

Neither of those are make or break features...but both are all about spending less time screwing with the boat and spending more time fishing to me.

Had I known the Utlrex was about to be released, or that 2nd generation technology was going to be incompatible with what just bought...might I have waited a year?  Yeah, I would have.

This is the 1st time I find myself disappointed with Johnson Outdoors in this regard...not sure how it'll effect my future buying decisions.  If I find myself out hundreds of dollars to upgrade to features I feel will improve my fishing experience...I'm not going to be happy about it.

Those last two comments aside, I am 100% happy with the Ulterra...if an Ulterra meets your needs as it does mine, the upcoming sales prices to clear the pipeline of inventory will be an incredible incentive to buy one, the new tech is going to command premium pricing for at least a year or more.  It's not like the Ulterra is bad technology, it just won't be the most up-to-date technology.

I dunno about you, but I can live with steep discounts and slightly behind bleeding edge tech that meets my needs.  I like to let other folks work out the bugs...and there will be bugs...

15 hours ago, Further North said:

Did spot lock get better?  I dunno...both are more than good enough.  I think characterizing Spot Lock as needing to be fixed is inaccurate and misleading, IMO.  The spot lock on the Terrova was industry leading and exclusive to Minn Kota for several years while the competition struggled and rushed to find a way to copy it...to criticize it compared to more recently released technology feels...like someone with a competitive agenda is trying to find fault....

1. Power trim.
    1. When I need to run shallow to get a stuck lure...up she goes, without resetting the collar, or having to hang onto the cord to keep a Fortrex style motor shallower in the water.
    2. When I am out deeper, I can sink my 60" shaft deep so that only the TM motor head is sticking up...more room to cast.
  2. Auto deploy and stow is great stuff.  Way easier when coming into a spot to deploy while shutting down the main motor and grabbing a rod to start fishing.  Easier when getting ready to go to hit the button while storing the rod and I'm ready to go by the time I'm done with the rod.

Neither of those are make or break features...but both are all about spending less time screwing with the boat and spending more time fishing to me.

Had I known the Utlrex was about to be released, or that 2nd generation technology was going to be incompatible with what just bought...might I have waited a year?  Yeah, I would have.

This is the 1st time I find myself disappointed with Johnson Outdoors in this regard...not sure how it'll effect my future buying decisions.  If I find myself out hundreds of dollars to upgrade to features I feel will improve my fishing experience...I'm not going to be happy about it.

Those last two comments aside, I am 100% happy with the Ulterra...if an Ulterra meets your needs as it does mine, the upcoming sales prices to clear the pipeline of inventory will be an incredible incentive to buy one, the new tech is going to command premium pricing for at least a year or more.  It's not like the Ulterra is bad technology, it just won't be the most up-to-date technology.

I dunno about you, but I can live with steep discounts and slightly behind bleeding edge tech that meets my needs.  I like to let other folks work out the bugs...and there will be bugs...

I like the feature that Wayne P. said about the improved spotlock.

What I hated about my Terrova is that you had to use the remote for spotlock. I almost never used the remote and always had to bring it out just to use spotlock. I thought it would be nice if they had a spotlock button on the footpedal and now they do. So, that's nice.

For some reason mine would be on spotlock and after about 5 minutes it would just turn off and drift away. Perhaps it's a warranty issue.

I think the auto deploy/stow is nice like you said, you save time just hitting the button and can get to grabbing your gear or whatever. Also, bending over and deploying and stowing the Terrova all the time can wear you out and put strain on your back. Also, if you're in big waves it can be dangerous.

Being able to auto trim is nice, like you said, when you get a stuck lure and need to go into shore you don't have to worry about your rod, the boat colliding with something, and the depth of the water.

I love the fact that it can all be done without a remote, and just the footpedal, which is what I'll be doing.

20 hours ago, tcbass said:

The cable steer is definitely harder to learn with.  Its kind of like using a bait caster.  At first its difficult and there's problems and you get frustrated but after you master it the advantages are well worth it

16 hours ago, Further North said:

1. Power trim.

And id bet they're already working on the gen3 units. Technology is alwaus advancing. If you keep waiting for the latest, you'll never be able to utilize the current offering 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gimruis said:

The cable steer is definitely harder to learn with.  Its kind of like using a bait caster.  At first its difficult and there's problems and you get frustrated but after you master it the advantages are well worth it

I don't know if I'd get used to it. I have size 5-1/2 kids feet. lol. It took a ton of pressure for me to make cable steers works. And I've tried different ones. 

If if they had the little directional buttons on the edge of the foot pedal like the Terrovas have, maybe it would work better. I wonder why they haven't done that yet?

I only use the little directional buttons on my Terrova and not the foot pedal for the same reason. 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, Wayne P. said:

Is this insider information?

I didn't see anything on this when I searched for it.

12 minutes ago, tcbass said:

headslam.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tcbass said:

Are you joking? Did you even read all of my post that describes where to find info about it.

ICAST was no secret==BEST OF SHOW.

It has been discussed extensively on some other websites.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wayne P. said:

Are you joking? Did you even read all of my post that describes where to find info about it.

ICAST was no secret==BEST OF SHOW.

It has been discussed extensively on some other websites.

Sorry, no. All I saw was this:

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, Wayne P. said:

I didn't see anything about Icast or best of show in that post. I was asking about the Ulterra,not the Ultrex. I do not want a cable driven TM.

1 hour ago, tcbass said:

I was asking about the Ulterra,not the Ultrex. I do not want a cable driven TM.

O

m

g