Jump to content
BadContrakt

Technique For: 7 Foot - Medium Heavy - Moderate Fast

Recommended Posts

I'm not going to lead the witness at all by giving any more information than needed.

Let me ask you what exactly you would use this rod for, and what gear ratio would the reel be?

7 foot medium heavy / moderate fast

Go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 6'10" MH-MF for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, buzzbaits, lipless crankbaits, 2.5-size squarebills with a 7.1:1 gear ratio. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MIbassyaker said:

I use a 6'10" MH-MF for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, buzzbaits, lipless crankbaits, 2.5-size squarebills with a 7.1:1 gear ratio. 

I've heard people say that a moderate fast action rod is "too slow" for large single-hooked moving baits like Paddletail swimbaits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits. They say that you won't get a good hookset with that slow of an action. I think the general consensus is that a fast or extra fast is the best for those baits.

What do you think? Any problems with missing strikes or getting a good hookset using a MF action rod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd use it for traps personally, but could be a good cranking rod too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BadContrakt said:

I've heard people say that a moderate fast action rod is "too slow" for large single-hooked moving baits like Paddletail swimbaits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits. They say that you won't get a good hookset with that slow of an action. I think the general consensus is that a fast or extra fast is the best for those baits.

What do you think? Any problems with missing strikes or getting a good hookset using a MF action rod?

I use a moderate fast for any reaction bait with trebles or open single hooks. I use it mostly for cranks and traps though because I have a fast action rod I prefer for spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. Either works,  I just prefer the fast. The Japanese market rods have lots of rod designed for bottom contact with moderate fast actions,  and they catch plenty of fish too,  so it could be used for anything really,  especially depending on the maker of the rod since all manufacturers actions and powers are different.  The type of line used makes a big difference also. Braid is going to stretch much less and makes a rod perform a little different than mono or even fluoro

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked up that exact Aetos and I'll likely pair it with a 7.1:1 Chronarch and use it for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits and some deeper diving crankbaits.  I spool braid on virtually all of my reels, so I like the little bit of forgiveness in the rod tip since I won't be getting it in the line.  That said, if I fish this rod and totally hate it for spinberbaits, it's still super versatile for big walking baits and cranks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use braid to fish spinnerbaits and chatterbaits then it will have plenty of backbone to drive a single hook home. If you use fluorocarbon or mono then you have a nice crank and lipless crank rod but it depends on the rod, some moderate fast rods are stiff and are closer in action to fast, while others are softer and are closer to moderate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe a moderate fast action rod is the most versatile. There's a reason a lot of the high end JDM sticks are what they call regular action; what we call mod-fast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use that rod for chatterbaits,  buzzbaits,  jerkbaits, squarebills, lipless, cranking baits and top waters.  Basically any moving baits.  I find it a very versatile rod.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a do a lot rod.  I would add a middle of the road gear ratio in the 6ish to 1 because you have so many bait options.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BadContrakt said:

I've heard people say that a moderate fast action rod is "too slow" for large single-hooked moving baits like Paddletail swimbaits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits. They say that you won't get a good hookset with that slow of an action. I think the general consensus is that a fast or extra fast is the best for those baits.

What do you think? Any problems with missing strikes or getting a good hookset using a MF action rod?

I hear this too all the time. But it's just not my experience that MF action is too slow for single-hooked moving baits. and If I'm not mistaken the rod was actually designed for spinnerbaits (it's a fenwick elite tech smallmouth). And I'm even using mono.

Maybe it matters more if you are such a skilled angler you've honed every reaction to such a fine point that the only factor left to make any difference is rod action. But whoever that person is, it's not me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MIbassyaker said:

I hear this too all the time. But it's just not my experience that MF action is too slow for single-hooked moving baits. and If I'm not mistaken the rod was actually designed for spinnerbaits (it's a fenwick elite tech smallmouth). And I'm even using mono.

Maybe it matters more if you are such a skilled angler you've honed every reaction to such a fine point that the only factor left to make any difference is rod action. But whoever that person is, it's not me.

You'd be surprised.  Things like rod action and he stretch of line can make the difference between feeling th vast majority of strikes versus not feeling them and landing e vast majority of fish versus spending a lot of time cursing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BadContrakt said:

I've heard people say that a moderate fast action rod is "too slow" for large single-hooked moving baits like Paddletail swimbaits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits. They say that you won't get a good hookset with that slow of an action. I think the general consensus is that a fast or extra fast is the best for those baits.

What do you think? Any problems with missing strikes or getting a good hookset using a MF action rod?

I have a regular action Daiwa Zillion rod that I absolutely love as my Keitech rod. I think that moderate fast action allows the fish to be able to grab that bait before I pull it away from them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a topic about this the other day. Castaway Rods has mh/mod-fast rods for most of their lineup, they don't have but one fast/xf action rods. So I guess you can use your rod for jigs, spinnerbaits, t-rigs etc. Except I have always preferred a fast or xf action for those, to ensure solid hooksets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spinnerbaits and big topwaters

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Turkey sandwich said:

I just picked up that exact Aetos and I'll likely pair it with a 7.1:1 Chronarch and use it for spinnerbaits/chatterbaits and some deeper diving crankbaits.  I spool braid on virtually all of my reels, so I like the little bit of forgiveness in the rod tip since I won't be getting it in the line.  That said, if I fish this rod and totally hate it for spinberbaits, it's still super versatile for big walking baits and cranks. 

Okay let me reveal more information now that I have way more replies than I was expecting to get...

I, too, picked up that exact same Aetos from Fenwick's website as they had a pretty nice clearance event going on for the HMX and Aetos. 185 dollar rod for 100 bucks. I'll take it! The HMX was only like 45 bucks, too.

I got this rod in 7 foot Medium Heavy / Moderate Fast with intentions on using it as my middle-of-the-water column moving bait rod.

Paddletail swimbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, & 10 foot or shallower crankbaits.

I have a Tatula CT in 6.3:1 spooled up with 17 pound Seaguar Invizx 100% fluoro (as I fish the rocky Mississippi a LOT, I went a little heavier for more abrasion resistance). I didn't want to go with a 7.0 or higher gear ratio as I would likely over-reel the bait and keep it too high in the water column, and a 5.4 or lower is better suited for deep big cranks.

Verdict:

So far, I've taken it out 2 times on the river and fished a 1/2 ounce chatterbait, 1/8 ounce paddletail 4" swimbait, and a KVD 1.5 size 3-5 depth crankbait and it feels great. I have no complaints yet. The gear ratio seems about spot on for keeping the bait in the strike zone and the rod feels strong enough to get a good hookset on single-hooked baits and feels "bendy" enough to not rip crankbait treble hooks out of the fish's mouth.

I am yet to take it out on a lake and fish deeper water (~15 foot) but I can't see my opinion differing too much after fishing that. We'll see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having not touched or felt the rod I would most likely would use it on 1/2 oz. and 5/8 oz. crankbaits. 7 foot is a nice length.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

st croix  labels this a spinnerbait rod. I just recently bought one to fish spinnerbaits, squarebills and lipless cranks. So far so good

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was kinda surprised with the tip.  I haven't fished it yet, but I've felt plenty of rods with a similar feel labeled "fast".  It has a TON of backbone.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally I pigeon holed that action for treble hook lures, but after getting a couple Tatula's with a Regular action I am having to change my opinion.  They are much more versatile than a lot of people give them credit for.....IMHO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Poolshark said:

st croix  labels this a spinnerbait rod. I just recently bought one to fish spinnerbaits, squarebills and lipless cranks. So far so good

Apples to Oranges, St. Croix rods typically have more backbone than others and his rod is a Fenwick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smalljaw67 said:

Apples to Oranges, St. Croix rods typically have more backbone than others and his rod is a Fenwick.

Yep. I'm aware of that. But the op didn't specify a brand initially. So my response was not to compare fenwicks to st croix. Also, the two fenwicks I own, are pretty stout rods. I would say they are rated pretty conservitavely. Not that I was trying to make that point. 

 

On September 16, 2016 at 7:20 PM, BadContrakt said:

I'm not going to lead the witness at all by giving any more information than needed.

Let me ask you what exactly you would use this rod for, and what gear ratio would the reel be?

7 foot medium heavy / moderate fast

Go.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×