Jon Morris

Where do you start finding LMB on the St. John's River?

Pretty much the title says it all.

But never knew that the St John's is very salty for a good distance inland.

Does anyone have any good information on where LMB are encountered regularly or where the "line" is?

Thanks in advance

ON the St John's the bass fishing is best south of the Buckman bridge.But some of the creeks between there and downtown Jax.are pretty good at times.The " line " depends on how much rain has fallen lately.Lots of rain: it is closer to downtown.Little rain: Further south.The further you get back in creeks,the fresher it  usually is.

It is also tidal way up it.One pattern is to fish the cypress trees on high tide with soft plastics esp.dark colors.

Another is to fish docks,which are very abundant ,esp.north of the shands bridge.

If you can find eel grass or shell beds,they hold fish.also.Fish the inner edge on high tides,and the outer edge on lower tides.

I never got into " offshore" fishing in the river but I know it's very productive at times.

This may help you simplify things .We were fishing a tournament once in the river near lake George and had engine trouble.All we could do was use the trolling motor.We simply started at the ramp and went north.We ended up finishing 3rd.Caught most of the fish on 7.5 inch red shad culprit worms.Fishing pads primarily.

I would say the best pattern for a beginner in the area is to skip under low slung docks.

Caught many of my best fish in the julington Creek area,but I have not done well at all there in recent years.

Won a tournament in Doctors lake using guess what?

RED SHAD CULPRITS.

Mike

• Like 2