Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WalkerJD

switched to a shimano reel

Recommended Posts

i normaly fish lews bb1 series with 40lb to 65 lb braid and i started to use flourocarbon and mono in the past couple of months. well today i bought a shimano curado and i put 14 lb flourocarbon and its weird to cast. the braking system is different from what i use and i have 2 inside brakes on and its set to 3.5 ish on the outside adjuster. no matter what i do i feel weird to me when i cast anything to help? should i switch it to braid than switch it to mono later on when i learn the brake system on the reel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it´s never late to learn but you can start now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels weird as in how? If it's just different I wouldn't worry about it, use what you want and you'll get used to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My condolences.  You should have bought a Pinnacle Primmus.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, WIGuide said:

It feels weird as in how? If it's just different I wouldn't worry about it, use what you want and you'll get used to it. 

i have known how to use a baitcaster just about all my life and its a different feel like one cast will be ok and the next cast is like better or worse and ill put the same effort into both cast its like relearning how to cast a baitcaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WalkerJD said:

i have known how to use a baitcaster just about all my life and its a different feel like one cast will be ok and the next cast is like better or worse and ill put the same effort into both cast its like relearning how to cast a baitcaster

Hmm..have you tried cleaning and relubing the reel? It seems to me that there was chatter on here before about the Curado's being over-greased as the assumption of the manufacturer being most anglers won't service their reel. Performance seemed to improve some after this grease was cleaned out and the reel was serviced. You might want to give that a try to to even out the consistency of the reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WIGuide said:

Hmm..have you tried cleaning and relubing the reel? It seems to me that there was chatter on here before about the Curado's being over-greased as the assumption of the manufacturer being most anglers won't service their reel. Performance seemed to improve some after this grease was cleaned out and the reel was serviced. You might want to give that a try to to even out the consistency of the reel. 

it all looks good the lube looks brand new...im starting to think that because im just so use to braid its more difficult for me to learn this different braking system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like when your used to eating mcdonalds and you then start eating prime rib..it takes an adjustment period.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start with four brakes on and fiddle with the spool tension until you find your comfort level. Generally speaking, Shimano reels are know for "set it and forget it". This brand is VERY user friendly. And btw, Welcome to the posse!

 

:fishing-026:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deaknh03 said:

It's like when your used to eating mcdonalds and you then start eating prime rib..it takes an adjustment period.

you're.

 

 

Walker , try 3 brakes on and then adjust the side plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two reels have totally different braking systems if I remember correctly. The Lews is magnetic and the Shimano is centrifugal. The little brake tabs that you turn on and off actually drag against the drum. They have physical contact. Shimano recommends using their light oil on a q-tip and wiping it around the drum every once in a while to keep it smooth. You will know when it is dry as it gets pretty loud. Hope this helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had some dual braking reels in the past, a couple of Curados and a Chronarch. Once I started using some Daiwas I got rid of all of the Shimano's and I am getting rid of my Bass Pros. I much prefer the Daiwa breaking system, which is very similar to your Lews. You may just need to send it back or sell it and get another Lews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

I have had some dual braking reels in the past, a couple of Curados and a Chronarch. Once I started using some Daiwas I got rid of all of the Shimano's and I am getting rid of my Bass Pros. I much prefer the Daiwa breaking system, which is very similar to your Lews. You may just need to send it back or sell it and get another Lews.

What models would they be?  I have Chronarch A and B, Curado Es and a Scorpion 4 x 4 SVS .  All have centrifugal brakes only . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johnD. said:

you're.

 

 

Walker , try 3 brakes on and then adjust the side plate.

I hate when I do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the same type of line the Shimano reel shouldn't cast much different than Lew's or any other top end reel mfr's. The reel & rod may feel different balance if the weights are different.

Like any other bait casting reel you can't rely on the braking system to prevent backlashes, rely on a well trained thumb.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have used braid for years and have never used FC/Mono, I'm sure that is the part that feels weird, not the reel. I made that transition a few years ago myself. Now, I only use braid for topwater reels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a curado 200i and in another post on the new system (SVS infinity) vs the old VBS system, I outlined what works for me (using a curado 200i PG with 12 pound test mono): this is what works for me:

 

Quote

when I first got my new curado 200i early this year I was cursing the new system.

only because it is a little more complicated as compared to the VBS because each time you change lure weights you now have to adjust both dial and cast control knob, whereas with the old system you just had the cast control knob to deal with.

both systems I never really touch the internal spool brakes/magnets.

now that I have mastered the new system, I love it and can cast much better than with the VBS system.

but it took me a little while to get the hang of it.

what works for me is this: internal brakes : 2 on 2 off

-adjust cast control as normal (luring falling slowly to ground when spool released)

-dial start at 4 on first cast and loosen up accordingly.

that's how I do it now and I really like it. most of the time I can even back the dial off to 3 or lower and just leave it. I only find I need to touch it when I am significantly changing lure weights (eg. from 1/4 to a 1/2 I would adjust, from 3/8 to 1/2 I don't bother)

with lipless cranks and spools, lures that are rocket launcher casters, I can back the dial down to 1 with no issue.

one thing that I have found is the new system although a touch more complex and with more of a learning curve, casts much better with no backlash/loose loops.

I can cast big wind grabbers like big lipped diving cranks and big spinnerbaits much farther than before.

stick with the new system you will get the hang of it and like it too im sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×