Jump to content
cgolf

Picture Posting Issues

Recommended Posts

I didn't see a troubleshooting thread, but like others am curious why photos to be uploaded are limited to .49MB? Essentially a pic taken with my iPad mini is too large now. Yes I did mostly clean out my attachments, down in the 30% range.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picture posting hasn't been working for me on mobile, but it works fine on desktop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has not worked in weeks for my tablet and phone.

Download a crop app to help.

Would rather not have to do that

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know how to reduce the pic size, just don't know how to post without a URL.

The sticky in the general fishing form explaining how to do it has been removed and I'm computer stupid  :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally gave up trying to post pictures from my i phone or tablet.

 

 

 

 

Mike

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had trouble until I set my phone to take the smallest pixel photo possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the pictures I deleted I am hopeful my ipod will work. I was hoping that one of the mods would chime in on the issue though. I haven't seen where they gave any kind of answer. The site does seem to be running slow, so maybe as someone suggested on the bait monkey thread there is some kind of server thing going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can utilize these free websites to reduce the image file size and change picture formats:

 

http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg

 

https://www.convertmyimage.com/

 

http://jpeg-optimizer.com/

 

I've had no problems uploading photos in the past week or so as long as they are under the file size limit. The server response problems are a separate issue from photo upload problems UNLESS your issue is that the server times out during picture uploads.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Koz said:

You can utilize these free websites to reduce the image file size and change picture formats:

 

http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg

 

https://www.convertmyimage.com/

 

http://jpeg-optimizer.com/

 

I've had no problems uploading photos in the past week or so as long as they are under the file size limit. The server response problems are a separate issue from photo upload problems UNLESS your issue is that the server times out during picture uploads.

 

 

I think the thought with the server for the pictures, was limiting the size to save on storage. I would honestly rather have them limit our storage moreand reup the max photo size to whatever it used to be. Maybe too many members with a high storage limit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cgolf said:

 

I think the thought with the server for the pictures, was limiting the size to save on storage. I would honestly rather have them limit our storage moreand reup the max photo size to whatever it used to be. Maybe too many members with a high storage limit?

 

I don't know why Bass Resource has their photo policies, but I can tell you why we limit image sizes on our servers:

 

1. Bandwidth - we don't want huge uploads slowing down the page browsing on the rest of the website

 

2. Storage - You'd be surprised how quickly hard drives fill up with tens of thousands of photos with unrestricted file sizes.

 

3. Backup - Some hosting / server companies charge more if you exceed their standard nightly backup storage limits.

 

4. Google crawling - Google likes pages that load fast and frowns on sites that have slow to load pages

 

As for the server slowdown lately my best guess is that there is a configuration issue with their https (secure) setup.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like there are 0 mods online currently. I'm sure when one gets on they'll reply pretty quick. I have the same problem with picture restrictions and the site is running slow in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Koz said:

 

I don't know why Bass Resource has their photo policies, but I can tell you why we limit image sizes on our servers:

 

1. Bandwidth - we don't want huge uploads slowing down the page browsing on the rest of the website

 

2. Storage - You'd be surprised how quickly hard drives fill up with tens of thousands of photos with unrestricted file sizes.

 

3. Backup - Some hosting / server companies charge more if you exceed their standard nightly backup storage limits.

 

4. Google crawling - Google likes pages that load fast and frowns on sites that have slow to load pages

 

As for the server slowdown lately my best guess is that there is a configuration issue with their https (secure) setup.

 

 

I get all that, while not a programmer I test software that generates lots of data and also processes data from other devices. They allow us to use approximatley 195MB, which seems like a lot. Perhaps if they just cut the max we could store to between 70 and 100 MB that would help. It also seems odd that the switch happened without any notification to the users, but I guess I am used to it having to deal with programmers that slip all kinds of fixes in without telling anyone lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I   use photobucket  even though it is full of glitches 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having the same issues, on the advice of someone here I downloaded an app called PhotoShrinker. It works great and doesn't hurt the quality of the photos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Koz said:

I don't know why Bass Resource has their photo policies, but I can tell you why we limit image sizes on our servers:

 

1. Bandwidth - we don't want huge uploads slowing down the page browsing on the rest of the website

 

2. Storage - You'd be surprised how quickly hard drives fill up with tens of thousands of photos with unrestricted file sizes.

 

3. Backup - Some hosting / server companies charge more if you exceed their standard nightly backup storage limits.

 

4. Google crawling - Google likes pages that load fast and frowns on sites that have slow to load pages

 

^^  This ^^

 

We had to limit the filesize.  It's free to you, but not us, and does indeed slow things down.

 

We're working on a long-term solution, but for now, make your filesize smaller.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cleared some attachments since there is a limit.( Thanks to Riverbasser ) And Glenn said to downsize the photo so I got a free picture Re- sizer app. (Thanks,Glenn )

Now my pic uploads work fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Glenn said:

 

^^  This ^^

 

We had to limit the filesize.  It's free to you, but not us, and does indeed slow things down.

 

We're working on a long-term solution, but for now, make your filesize smaller.

 

Thanks Glenn, it caught a lot of us by surprise. I also cleared up a bunch of my attachments as well to clear up some space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use Smugmug for hosting.  Granted it's not free, but it's not expensive either.  I've used a couple of free ones in the past (Photobucket was one) and never been satisfied with the service.  Smugmug has been very good, and you can even set up stock galleries to sell your photos if they are of decent quality.  You can link just about any size you want, from your full upload size (I upload 2000px resolution on the longest edge) down to 100x100.  Example:

 

 

 

400x267:

i-kNLhGnk-S.jpg

1024x682:

i-kNLhGnk-XL.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I upload from the camera to my computer and then upload to albums in my profile and that cleared up the "too large to post" problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×