Armando Arbella

Can I us coploymer line for crankbaits?

I currently use 30 lb p-line tcb8 braid as wanted to try s copolymer because I have problems with fluorocarbon. Should I use a coplomer for something else? Will braid be fine or will that cause problems too?

Co-polymer will be fine.  I use a lot of it.  Some use braid for crankbaits.  Personally I think it tangles up in the hooks easier than a mono or co-polymer.  A brother-in-law fishes 40# braid on all his rods....cheap spinning rods.  Living in Florida, he catches plenty of bass.  One of his favorite lures to fish is a #11 Floating Rapala.

I use 10 # 832, with 8 # FC leader and I am truly satisfied!

48 minutes ago, ib_of_the_damned said:

Yes, copoly will work. I use Yo-Zuri 10-12lb for my cranks and lipless cranks.

I use 10 most often but have used 15 when i want it to run more shallow.  The shift to 12 for this reason does not make a huge depth difference.

• Like 1

You certainly can use co-poly for cranks and it may be the best choice in cover and around zebra mussels 

• Like 2

give yo-zuri hybrid a go. a little thicker but stronger than other lines, super cheap and very manageable. 10 or 12#. i think i read that 12# breaks at 19lbs?

if you plan on throwing any walking topwater on the rod, id go with Defier or Defier Armilo though its pricey.

kvd l&l on everything that's not braid (although i've read that it does have some benefits there...)

I use everything from 4# yo-zuri (light trout cranks) to 15# cx (regular bass cranks) as well as bad with a leader if I really want to have fluoro on there.

It's what I prefer for cranks. 

Yes, I've used 10# CXX for years, before moving to fluoro.

Braid is very manageable, casts a mile, and with a moderate or slower action rod, you can still keep trebles pinned pretty easily.  It's rare that I don't use at least a short copolymer leader.  Something like Hybrid can be a game changer if you fish around rocks, clam beds, zebra mussels, etc.  The only situation that I might prefer straight braid is ripping lipless crank through weeds.  Also, to prevent spending a ton of time wasting leaders or tieing, a good snap can be very helpful and will make changing baits a lot easier.