Jump to content
12poundbass

Barrett Jackson auto auction

Recommended Posts

Anybody watching the auction? What's your taste in cars? Anyone ever been or purchased one from there? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am watching it as we speak.  I enjoy seeing what al the car prices are and it always surprises me how little some bring and how much others bring.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always fun to watch! Especially when it comes down to a couple bidders determined to buy a certain car! I love me some American muscle cars! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always amazed at the prices of some of those cars. I remember in the late 70's and early 80's when you could get a hemi powered car for under 5 grand. If only I knew then what I know now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be like Jay Leno, I couldn't own just one 😉

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch both Barrett Jackson and Mecum and I like the Barrett Jackson operational model better.  No (or at least very rarely) a reserve.  I actually like watching the first days of both auctions better because that's when there are vehicles actually in a price range I could afford.  They get more expensive as the days move into the weekend.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the Barrett Jackson auction as well. I usually watch the weekend, but watched last night and you're right @TOXIC those prices are a lot more reasonable. 

 

The past couple years I've been on a rat rod kick. Only the ones that still look like a car/truck and are tastefully done. I'm willing to bet for me anyways owning one would be a novelty thing and would quickly go away. The restomods and customs especially the Mopars and Camaros are on my wish list. Another on my wish list would be the old Mercury lead sleds. Like the rat rods it would have to be tastefully done, chopped, and dropped just right. Kinda like the ones in a ZZ Top video. There's more to my wish list but I'll leave it there for now.

 

Champagne taste on a beer budget....😂

 

What's on the BR members which list? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like the "survivors" better than the modified versions.  Like they say, "They're only original once".  When you start cutting, tubing, droppin new/bigger motors, custom painting, etc, etc, I feel like you might as well buy a shell remake and just outfit it the way you want.  It pains me to watch all of these shows where they take a solid old original vehicle and mod it out.  I'll admit Chip Foose does some beautiful builds but there something special about a survivor.  I wish I had kept any of my muscle cars over the years and I really like to see examples of them go across the auction block.  

57 Chevy

64 Ford Galaxy 390 Police Interceptor

68 Charger 440 Magnum

73 Firebird Formula 350

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like them to look fairly original, but I want a driver.  That means disc brakes, updated emissions, seat belts, etc.  All that, but look like it did when it rolled off the line.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TOXIC said:

I actually like the "survivors" better than the modified versions.  Like they say, "They're only original once".  When you start cutting, tubing, droppin new/bigger motors, custom painting, etc, etc, I feel like you might as well buy a shell remake and just outfit it the way you want.  It pains me to watch all of these shows where they take a solid old original vehicle and mod it out.  I'll admit Chip Foose does some beautiful builds but there something special about a survivor.  I wish I had kept any of my muscle cars over the years and I really like to see examples of them go across the auction block.  

57 Chevy

64 Ford Galaxy 390 Police Interceptor

68 Charger 440 Magnum

73 Firebird Formula 350

The 68 Charger would've been a fun car!

The 55 Chevy is my choice of the tri-5's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That charger ate transmissions like bubblegum!!  :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been watching BJ and Mecum for years. Never been to one, but Mecum started doing an auction in Louisville recently, I've thought about going to that next year.

 

I love going to car shows, and I've talked about buying a Corvette for years now (nothing too fancy, C5 Z06), but I just bought a Skeeter boat last year, so that put a good sized dent in the old savings account. Maybe someday.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When did they go to a reserve auction?  I swear I remember that being one of their go to deals...my thoughts are they aren't doing as well as they were in the past since i am also seeing ads for the upcoming auctions and them wanting cars, which i never saw before either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, flyfisher said:

When did they go to a reserve auction?  I swear I remember that being one of their go to deals...my thoughts are they aren't doing as well as they were in the past since i am also seeing ads for the upcoming auctions and them wanting cars, which i never saw before either.

I think it's the complete opposite. There's been more TV coverage and the reason I think we're seeing more advertisements for the other ones because I've heard that they are more popular than Barrett Jackson ever expected them to be so quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watch it just to stare at the sold sticker girl's butt, OH MY GOD!!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MDBowHunter said:

I watch it just to stare at the sold sticker girl's butt, OH MY GOD!!!!!

 

And there it is

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 12poundbass said:

I think it's the complete opposite. There's been more TV coverage and the reason I think we're seeing more advertisements for the other ones because I've heard that they are more popular than Barrett Jackson ever expected them to be so quickly. 

They have been around for 30+ years and they have the same coverage they have had for at least the past 7 years i have been watching them so I am not sure what it is.  I also know the collector car market isn't as strong as it once was too so maybe its a combination of that and wanting it to grow.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, flyfisher said:

They have been around for 30+ years and they have the same coverage they have had for at least the past 7 years i have been watching them so I am not sure what it is.  I also know the collector car market isn't as strong as it once was too so maybe its a combination of that and wanting it to grow.  

 

I've been watching it for the last 15 years or so. I remember back then they showed what seemed like Friday and Saturday and that's it. Now it starts on Tuesday and goes until Sunday plus they start around 3 every day, so it seems like there are more hours of live coverage. 

 

I remember watching back then 2 guys in a bidding war over a 68' Z-28 and it went for around $80k and they had said that was a new record for a Camaro. 

 

There's ebbs and flows just like with everything. The Corvette prices are ridiculous along with many other cars. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes me sick to watch my cars from years ago bring so much money. I junked there cars.

 

i have my eye on a very rare muscle car that only 800 were manufactured for one year. The car is orginal in excellent condition. It’s only $10,000 less than its valued at. I could get it for $14,000 I think. I’m thinking flip it. Or sent it to BJ auction? Throw it out there for $30k

 

my older brother had a ‘64 Chevy s/s convertable, Black with red interior, 409 with dual quads 425hp, four speed. Imagine what this car is worth today. He had 63’s, a 68 Plymouth road runner he raced at English town Nj.

 

send me back, time travel to get these cars, lol.

 

i built drag race engines as a teenager and cars too. My last car was a 63 s/s Chevy impala, 396/400hp ran 12.85 seconds in the quarter mile on the second run. Wasn’t dialed in yet. This was my calling building cars and engines. Then i gave it up, went fishing, then I met my misses. Then the kids came but building engines is still in my heart at 67yo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bigbill said:

It makes me sick to watch my cars from years ago bring so much money. I junked there cars.

 

i have my eye on a very rare muscle car that only 800 were manufactured for one year. The car is orginal in excellent condition. It’s only $10,000 less than its valued at. I could get it for $14,000 I think. I’m thinking flip it. Or sent it to BJ auction? Throw it out there for $30k

What car is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An American motors hornet.

 

buy it, detail it, don’t fall in love with it, flip it.

 

im a borderline hoarder, I can still see the floor. Lol. I have like ten Husqvarna vintage dirtbikes. Old tractors, besides more fishing stuff than a mom and pop fishing store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes me wonder how much my first car would go for now.....

38826204001_original.thumb.jpg.6cd85658d318167cf0455c9d9e05dadc.jpg

Bought it for $100 and sold it for $50. I called it the Titanic because every time it rained, it leaked. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Burtonxj said:

 

And there it is

 

You cant say no one else thought the same thing, you know how they say to say when you see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barrett Jackson is for the most part a "no reserve" whereas Mecum pretty much all have reserves.  BJ will accept reserves on the highest priced offerings usually over 1m.  I saw some the reserve was met and some it was not.  I'm having a bit of a problem tracking the earlier cars that go for affordable money and those later in the week that go for top dollar.  Sure, I understand if it is 1 of 20 made but some of the top sellers were just beautiful modded cars with crate motors or not much original equipment left.  There were a lot of Rolls Royces go across the stage some were way more expensive than others.  The collectors I know call the auction fever Mecumitis and Barret Jackson Syndrome.  :blink::lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×