OK I replaced my impeller,  put my lower unit back on my motor still not peeing. I have tried flushing the  Motor through just the moter itself still not peeing. Any thoughts??? I have a 2003 Mercury XR6 150hp 2  stroke. 

Have you checked thermostats? Did you install impeller correctly (clockwise). Is the line clogged that leads to the pee hole? Is the water tube and guide installed correctly and all the way up into the motor? 

• Like 1

Did you replace/test your thermostats? Is it not peeing on just muffs or both in water and on muffs? You should have a water PSI gauge...what does it read?

Update.... I got the motor to start peeing through  The upper flush connector which made me happy, when I put the muffs on the lower unit and cranked up my motor it still Wasn’t peeing and then I heard the dreaded beep sound, I turned it off and calling it a day. When I put the impeller on I  put it on the way I saw it which I believe was clockwise anyway tomorrow’s another day. I’ll take the low lower unit off again Sunday and tinker with it, I believe I missed the whole winter season unbelievable

Water comming out the bypass (pee hole) with or without the engine running with ears doesn't indicate water is running through the power head. It's time you have a professional do this for you, install the water pump impeller correctly and check the thermostat. Have a water pressure gage installed.

Tom

2 hours ago, Justbass11 said:

Update.... I got the motor to start peeing through  The upper flush connector which made me happy, when I put the muffs on the lower unit and cranked up my motor it still Wasn’t peeing and then I heard the dreaded beep sound, I turned it off and calling it a day. When I put the impeller on I  put it on the way I saw it which I believe was clockwise anyway tomorrow’s another day. I’ll take the low lower unit off again Sunday and tinker with it, I believe I missed the whole winter season unbelievable

Just a thought since you can get it to pee /w the upper flush and not muffs....are you using these particular muffs?

61g31LWo-HL._SY355_.jpg

The reason I ask is because some lower units are concave and these don't grip completely around intakes causing less water to be "forced" into the pump. What I do to rectify this is put a large clamp I bought at Blaines farm and fleet around the muffs to keep them pressed against the intakes. My '17 ETEC at idle is 8psi /w the clamp and in the water under normal use. If I don't use the clamp my water psi is around 2 . I've only used them once without the clamp and it took forever to start peeing. Don't rev on the muffs. 

clamp:

1002833.jpg

You can take the prop off and use a large lean bucket or small 30 gal trash can full of water as long as the water intake is under water and functioning water pump should circulate without any added pressure.

Hose ears force water through the engine when it's not running.

The Op does need a water pressure gage!

Tom

Sometimes it is worth leaving the boat strapped to the trailer and backing down your local ramp. Get the engine in deep enough that the engine is fully covered. Start it up and let it run a few moments. My engine will not pee till the thermostats open, which only takes a few moments.

This is of course after you make sure you did not loose the key that goes on the shaft and inside the impeller, the impeller is installed correctly etc.  Also as many have said you may have bad thermostats as well, or just corrosion blocking them.

This might be best done professionally, most good shops will have a tank they can test run your outboard in rather than ear muffs.  You do not want to damage your engine here.

Could be a problem with the prostate might want to have a dr check it out.:D

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, WRB said:

Water comming out the bypass (pee hole) with or without the engine running with ears doesn't indicate water is running through the power head. It's time you have a professional do this for you, install the water pump impeller correctly and check the thermostat. Have a water pressure gage installed.

Tom

I'll second that motion. 

You are trying to save a few bucks doing a simple job.  A simple job, which if not done correctly can fry your engine, or cost you many days that you could be fishing.

Not to debate too far; thermostat doesn't open until it reaches it's pre set temperature.  The OB engine is running dry until that temperature is reached so it warms up quickly. The pee hole is a bye pass relieving the water pump pressure until the thermostat opens. If you see water coming out with the exhaust, the thermostat is open and working in every outboard I have owned.

You can test the thermostat by removing it and putting it in boiling water, it will open or it's bad.

Everything is easy when you know how to do it and have the right tools to do it right. I no longer change my water pumps do to back issues.

It cost about $90 to change a water pump and check the thermostat for most 4 to 6 cyclinder OB's.

Tom

I want to thank all of you for your advice, I think what I’m going to do if not raining tomorrow is check the thermostat and take the lower unit off to check the impeller. The closest lake is over an hour away so I’ll try the trash can and make sure I did it right before taking to a professional to fix my mess...again thanks for the advice 

I could be mistaken.  It's happened once or twice before, but I don't think the thermostat has to open before the telltale starts peeing.  My Optimax, and those of my friends have a steady stream which shows the pump is working within a few seconds of initial starting.  Seems to me that would be about right for the pump to fill all the cavities between the pump and the telltale outlet.

I turn the key, motor begins to crank, and as fast as I can look back the motor is peeing and smoking on a choked cranked.

• Like 1

If the thermostat was always open you wouldn't need it, it is closed until it reaches a pre set temperature........the pee water only indicates the water pump is working.

Tom

• Like 1

My 150 EFI only pees after the thermos have reached temp and opened. Takes a couple min. 

I guess it's time to step on toes and hurt some feelings.

NO WATER COOLED ENGINE I know of, runs dry until the thermostats open.  The motor would melt down before they did.

The water comes into the motor, completely circulates around the cylinders and then out through the thermostats.  All water cooled motors  (vehicle and boat) I know of have a small amount of bypass water built in so the air and some water can escape past the thermostats so as it warms up, it will heat the thermostats so they can open.  This is also so there are no dry air pockets in the motor to let the metal develop hot spots.  The pisser is on the discharge side of the thermostat an usually there is enough bypass to still see a discharge before the stats open.   The reason you get a delay from the time you start the motor until you see water is, it takes time for the block to fill with water and get enough flow through the bypass.  Most two stroke motors start to open the thermostat at approx. 110 - 120 degrees and are usually fully open by the time they reach 135 or so. 

The reason you run a pressurized cooling system and pay close attention to you water pressure on outboards, is because hot spots can develop, turning the water to steam and the steam will push all the water out, which causes melt down.

Now, with all that said, do I know what's wrong with your motor and can tell you how to fix it. NO!!. 

My first question would have to be, has the motor every been run is salt water?  If so, my first suspect would be the water passages are corroded to the point.  The ones for the pisser are a lot smaller than the mains.  The only cure for that problem is to pull the power head off and the heads off the power head and spend the need day of two trying to clean them out, since you can't soak the block and a solution to remove it.

My next question would have to be, have you ever heard of dirt dabber's.  The ones in may part of the world prefer a ready made hole any day of the week over one they have make.  Don't think just the water pressure is going to flush them out either.  They make that mud like concrete and manually removing it is the only way to open the hole up.  Oh, and they can go very deep into a motor to build them.

• Like 1

Update#2...I did check the thermostats and they did open. I believe that I’m just going to listen to my wife and you guys and take it to the pro’s and let them fix whatever is wrong with it, again thanks for the advice

Does the boat have a water pressure gauge?  If not it should.

Second, is it not peeing in the drive way on a hose. or is it not peeing at the lake fully in the water or a test tank.

If it's not peeing on a hose, that's a common problem.  Muffs and hoses sometimes won't deliver the water volume needed to make it pump enough water to push it out the pisser.  Take it to the lake and try it.  Now, if it's not peeing at the lake, then you see what the water pressure is doing.  When the boat is up on plane, it should be running over 16 psi, and at much speed it should be over 20 and close to 30 psi,  If the water pressure is good, whether it's peeing a stream or not shouldn't be a problem.  Just a stopped up pisser.

The op stated he didn't have a water pressure gage and the powerhead alarm goes off, this why I believe something with the water pump isn't functioning properly.

If the thermostat is functioning then full water flow is occurring, the alarm shouldn't go off. Plug pee hole was discussed. Corrosion was discussed. Air locked water flow wasn't discussed and water will not displace air without a vent.

Way2slow is saying the thermostat is on the outflow not inflow, the engine block fill with cold water not warm water and I always believed thermostats open to let water into the engine block, not open to release it.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

Tom