Jump to content
Slade Carroll

Boot tail flukes and snap swivels

Recommended Posts

Ok so I recently got some zoom super flukes and when I used it in the water it’s tail did nothing and it spun I use a 4/0 ewg hook with a size 7 snap swivels is his because I used a swivel should I always tie directly to my line with flukes? Thanks!- Slade 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slade Carroll said:

Ok so I recently got some zoom super flukes and when I used it in the water it’s tail did nothing and it spun I use a 4/0 ewg hook with a size 7 snap swivels is his because I used a swivel should I always tie directly to my line with flukes? Thanks!- Slade 

there are 2 different styles of fluke. The straight tail and paddle tail.

The paddle tail fluke, It is a swim bait and works best with a belly weighted hook, or on a jig head.

A bare hook is usually not heavy enough to keep it from spinning.

 

The straight tail fluke is a soft jerk bait. It works well on a bare hook .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is a combinations between the swivel and not rigging the fluke completely straight on the hook. 

 

My advice, ditch the snap swivels all together for all presentations and tie direct

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, riverbasser said:

My guess is a combinations between the swivel and not rigging the fluke completely straight on the hook. 

 

My advice, ditch the snap swivels all together for all presentations and tie direct

Ok cool thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, riverbasser said:

My guess is a combinations between the swivel and not rigging the fluke completely straight on the hook. 

 

My advice, ditch the snap swivels all together for all presentations and tie direct

 

Good advice. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMHO never use a snap swivel period when tying to a bare hook. It adds nothing other than ease of switching to something else. But what are you really saving there? 20 seconds? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MassYak85 said:

IMHO never use a snap swivel period when tying to a bare hook. It adds nothing other than ease of switching to something else. But what are you really saving there? 20 seconds? 

I mainly use crankbaits that’s why I use snap swivels I rarely use bare hook baits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess what fellas I tried everything you told me and none of it worked with the fluke how much weight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 12:34 PM, MassYak85 said:

IMHO never use a snap swivel period when tying to a bare hook. It adds nothing other than ease of switching to something else. But what are you really saving there? 20 seconds? 

More like a minute and the effort of cutting, tying, spitting, and then your line eventually getting too short and having to replace a perfectly good spool of braid cause it's too short.  I swear by snaps :)

 

My one recent concern is the strength of snaps.  I downsized my snaps all small as I could find em just to at least try to be more covert with my presentation, but with that comes thinner Guage and seemingly flimsier construction.  I just ordered a bunch of these from Academy, so I'm hoping they will alleviate some of my concerns:

 

10102701.jpg

Also, to the OP again (person who made this post), use PUNCTUATION and proper grammar with conjunctions so we can clearly follow what you're saying...I see you're young, and I appreciate your enthusiasm with the sport, but if you want more help, you have to learn how to ask properly (at least close to properly). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rigging straight is paramount in my opinion. You can tie a swivel about 20" up from the fluke, but I would keep the hardware at the bait to a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are using a bait caster I would tie direct with a belly weighted hook or swimbait head. If you are using a spinning rod I would use a barrel swivel and 2 or 3 foot leader to stop line twist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok how do I do it super straight I can get it visibly straight it’s not just the super fluke all things I use do this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, InFishingWeTrust said:

Never seen this happen. Did you try a weighted hook? Can you post a pic of your rig?

Yes I do not have a computer right now but I will in a couple of days I have but maybe not heavy enough?

On 4/1/2018 at 11:38 AM, Riazuli said:

More like a minute and the effort of cutting, tying, spitting, and then your line eventually getting too short and having to replace a perfectly good spool of braid cause it's too short.  I swear by snaps :)

 

My one recent concern is the strength of snaps.  I downsized my snaps all small as I could find em just to at least try to be more covert with my presentation, but with that comes thinner Guage and seemingly flimsier construction.  I just ordered a bunch of these from Academy, so I'm hoping they will alleviate some of my concerns:

 

10102701.jpg

Also, to the OP again (person who made this post), use PUNCTUATION and proper grammar with conjunctions so we can clearly follow what you're saying...I see you're young, and I appreciate your enthusiasm with the sport, but if you want more help, you have to learn how to ask properly (at least close to properly). 

Ok I will however I use this app on my phone I type pretty fast too and most of the time I write stuff at the lake spur of the moment I’m focused on fishing not punctuation and conjunctions.Yes I love snap swivels they prevent line twist and are so much more efficient I don’t understand why people don’t use them more often and it bothers that some company’s make lures where you have to tie it on too the wire frame for it to stay on properly (I’m looking at you strike king!!!) it’s so simple to just make a loop in the frame I use eagle claw size seven snap swivels sorry for the late response haven’t checked this in awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Slade Carroll said:

Yes I do not have a computer right now but I will in a couple of days I have but maybe not heavy enough?

Ok I will however I use this app on my phone I type pretty fast too and most of the time I write stuff at the lake spur of the moment I’m focused on fishing not punctuation and conjunctions.Yes I love snap swivels they prevent line twist and are so much more efficient I don’t understand why people don’t use them more often and it bothers that some company’s make lures where you have to tie it on too the wire frame for it to stay on properly (I’m looking at you strike king!!!) it’s so simple to just make a loop in the frame I use eagle claw size seven snap swivels sorry for the late response haven’t checked this in awhile.

:iamwithstupid:    was looking for a face palm, but that will do...just advice from someone who has been in your shoes before - slow down a little.  In fishing and in life.  The emoji is just a joke, but to be entirely honest with you, the way we present ourselves is often the way we are received.  It doesn't take all that much effort to put some punctuation here and there so that what you're saying actually makes sense and doesn't just come off like some mumbo-jumbo from someone who has had too much caffeine.  Practice makes perfect ;) (and it doesn't need to be perfect, just reasonable enough to get your point clearly across)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 12:30 AM, Slade Carroll said:

Ok so I recently got some zoom super flukes and when I used it in the water it’s tail did nothing and it spun I use a 4/0 ewg hook with a size 7 snap swivels is his because I used a swivel should I always tie directly to my line with flukes? Thanks!- Slade 

Are you trying to cast and straight reel the Super Fluke back to yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tie direct to a belly weighted hook. you need to be retying baits occasionally anyway. so a snap saves you nothing. loose the snaps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Use a darter head jig, I use 3/16 oz most of the time in water up to about 9 feet.  Snap it off the bottom or reel slowly and steadily, depending what the fish want.  Without the stabilizing influence of a darter head jig or weighted hook  the boot tails will spin.  Tie directly to the hook or jig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Riazuli said:

:iamwithstupid:    was looking for a face palm, but that will do...just advice from someone who has been in your shoes before - slow down a little.  In fishing and in life.  The emoji is just a joke, but to be entirely honest with you, the way we present ourselves is often the way we are received.  It doesn't take all that much effort to put some punctuation here and there so that what you're saying actually makes sense and doesn't just come off like some mumbo-jumbo from someone who has had too much caffeine.  Practice makes perfect ;) (and it doesn't need to be perfect, just reasonable enough to get your point clearly across)  

Ok thanks I do need to slow down!

3 hours ago, mattkenzer said:

Are you trying to cast and straight reel the Super Fluke back to yourself?

Yes

2 hours ago, bagofdonuts said:

tie direct to a belly weighted hook. you need to be retying baits occasionally anyway. so a snap saves you nothing. loose the snaps.

 

 

I did that I think the hook is not heavy enough

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many years ago, when I first tried flukes, I had no clue what I was doing and it was a frustrating experience.  I didn't use them again for a number of years...they don't stay upright...they don't swim straight...nearly impossible to rig a hook perfectly.

 

Turns out there's a reason.  I love flukes, but I don't ever try to 'swim' them.  I tie a hook directly to my line and rarely use any weight -- if I do use a weight, it would be a tiny 1/16 oz cylinder (mojo) weight sliding on the line, above the hook.

 

   Try tying line to an EWG hook, then put into the fluke relatively straight and don't worry about perfection.  Flukes work great (best?) when you don't try to swim them back to you.  Cast it out; let it fall; and then bring it back to you with jerks and pauses (to sink a bit.)  The erratic jerks and drops is what will get you the bites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't retrieve straight tailed flukes, you twitch them, let them sink,  then twitch again, repeat till the rod get jerked out of your hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Choporoz said:

Many years ago, when I first tried flukes, I had no clue what I was doing and it was a frustrating experience.  I didn't use them again for a number of years...they don't stay upright...they don't swim straight...nearly impossible to rig a hook perfectly.

 

Turns out there's a reason.  I love flukes, but I don't ever try to 'swim' them.  I tie a hook directly to my line and rarely use any weight -- if I do use a weight, it would be a tiny 1/16 oz cylinder (mojo) weight sliding on the line, above the hook.

 

   Try tying line to an EWG hook, then put into the fluke relatively straight and don't worry about perfection.  Flukes work great (best?) when you don't try to swim them back to you.  Cast it out; let it fall; and then bring it back to you with jerks and pauses (to sink a bit.)  The erratic jerks and drops is what will get you the bites.

 

37 minutes ago, dblades said:

You don't retrieve straight tailed flukes, you twitch them, let them sink,  then twitch again, repeat till the rod get jerked out of your hands.

Yup .... This ^^^^^

 

That is why I asked if you were straight reeling ..... A fluke is a soft "Jerk Bait".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 7:34 AM, mattkenzer said:

Are you trying to cast and straight reel the Super Fluke back to yourself?

Yes and the hook is 3/0 not 4/0

On 4/11/2018 at 12:58 PM, mattkenzer said:

 

Yup .... This ^^^^^

 

That is why I asked if you were straight reeling ..... A fluke is a soft "Jerk Bait".

But it has a boot tail? Is this how I fish a zoom super fluke it’s a swimbaits right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    bass fish

    fishing poles

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×