I was recently given this reel. Japanese made, standard size round casting reel. I gave it a good cleaning, and lube job. This one has thumbar casting,  and magnetic cast control. Seems smooth and decent quality. Not a lot of info out there on these reels. I haven't been a huge Qauntum fan. Anyone have experience with these? Good or bad?

I used to have a Big Iron on a flathead rod, I regret selling it. 

• Like 1

They were a decent entry level round reel, kind of like the Shimano Corsair of the same time frame
(late 90's), I believe.  I doubt it will be turning any heads, but if you need a solid performing round reel, I am sure it has some life left in it, or it would make a great gift for a teenager just learning to fish and use casting gear.

• Like 1

I still have a working IR3 from the early 90s.  I haven't used it in years, but it still works.  Built like a tank.

• Like 1

I have a Quantum IR300C (iron series). I purchased it on clearance at a kmart around here back around '03 or so. It was my first baitcaster. I still own it and fish it today. Earlier this year I tore it down and gave it a thorough cleaning (the thing was a mess inside). Since the cleaning and re-lubing its actually really smooth and easy to fish. I personally think it seems to have a solid build quality with an all aluminum frame and it was actually made in Japan.

• Like 1

This was my first casting reel. They are of decent build quality. Mine is long retired and looks a little beat up... but it still works. 

• Like 1

I've got the iron baitcaster that was replaced with the monster reel, I use it for pike and musky and love the thing. Handles big baits very very well.

• Like 1