Abby

Craws for Michigan Bass

I fish in Michigan and I am wondering what brands / colors of craws you all could recommend for jig trailers and softbait Smallmouth fishing in general. Thanks, Scott

Black/ Blue

Green Pumpkin 

browns

• Like 1

Rockford, eh?

I'm not sure there is a wrong answer, but I like amber, pumpkin, and other light brown-ish colors.

Check out this DNR poster:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/crayfish.posterDNR_522337_7.pdf

Lots of O. propinquus & O. virilis in the Grand River watershed.

• Like 2

Usually the same colors you throw a T Rig

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NHBull said:

Usually the same colors you throw a T Rig

That can't be right... it's too simple 😉

• Like 3

I have friends who fish Lake St Clair and Sag Bay and use nothing but greens, most likely green pumpkin.  I use colors same as Nhbull, would add gold flake to his green pumpkin.  I use mostly Berkley powerbait, crazy legs chigger craw, some legs trimmed if the original seems to be too much on a particular day.

• Like 1

I have never fished in Michigan. Down here I had very good luck With the Berkley Crazy legs chigger craw for small and large mouth.

18 hours ago, Abby said:

I fish in Michigan and I am wondering what brands / colors of craws you all could recommend for jig trailers and softbait Smallmouth fishing in general. Thanks, Scott

Scott, I have good success using a Strike King Rage Bug early & late season (cold/cooler water).

And a Strike King Rage Craw (or Lobster for a bigger bite) the rest of the year.

:smiley:

A-Jay

Where I fish smallmouth have distinct color preferences that differ from Florida strain largemouth, northern strain largemouth are not particularly as fussy about colors.

SoCal smallmouth prefer cinnamon with blue neon color and lime green with chartreuse colors. Chigger Craws in 3" size as a jig trailer work except smallmouth tend to grab the big claws ripping off. 

When I fished Canadian lakes the smallmouth liked motor oil with red flakes and cinnamon with copper flakes and so did the walleyes!

Take a look at GYCB Cowboy in #305 & 926.

You just need to experiment and see what works where you fish. 

Tom

A 3" green pumpkin Berkley Chigger Craw is the most smallmouth catchin' craw bait I have ever used. Rig it bare on a 2/0 EWG hook, and use a Mustad "fast tach" football weight in 1/2 oz. or 3/4 oz depending on the depth your fishing. Keep it on the bottom at all times, and keep it moving....even in colder water. 

Thanks everyone, that should get me going if the weather ever cooperates. Now off to TW for an order..