Rane Blanco

Got this Lew Childre reel. Need some knowledge!

Need some knowledge on this reel. It’s set up on the original rod also. Just looking for some information on it please

6745AF26-758A-4C6B-924B-682155CDD559.jpeg

65BF9EC3-BD82-46DD-9513-2335AD1D33FF.jpeg

• Like 2

So from what I read it’s an early 80’s model reel? 

Believe it or not this reel along with a few others started the transition to our modern low profile baitcasters.

I would think late 70`s to early 80`s. Those old BB1`s were made by several different vendors, Shimano and Ryobi for sure and possibly a 3rd.

They stayed popular as a crankbaits reel for awhile even after more modern reels were on the market.

They also had a spinning reel about that same time that was a rebadged Abu cardinal.

Probably in the 80's, great reels. I still have 2 of them. Gear ratio is 4:3.1. Good crankbait reel.

It's a "1980ish" third release LEWS BB1N made by Ryobi for Lews. 4.3 to 1 ratio. The originals were made by Shimano for about two years. The second release had a switch on top of the gear housing to disengage the drive gear altogether. They do not have infinite anti reverse which is why the anti reverse dogs wore out pretty quick. This reel had a huge following by crankbait anglers for decades. Parts have been nonexistent for a long time. You have a piece of history. The reel will sell for 40 to 60 bucks in that shape, if you chose to sell it.  

LEWS 001.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Columbia Craw said:

It's a "1980ish" third release LEWS BB1N made by Ryobi for Lews. 4.3 to 1 ratio. The originals were made by Shimano for about two years. The second release had a switch on top of the gear housing to disengage the drive gear altogether. They do not have infinite anti reverse which is why the anti reverse dogs wore out pretty quick. This reel had a huge following by crankbait anglers for decades. Parts have been nonexistent for a long time. You have a piece of history. The reel will sell for 40 to 60 bucks in that shape, if you chose to sell it.  

LEWS 001.jpg

I just sold my Shimano Lew's BB1 Speed Spool.  It was still in great shape.  Sort of miss it but the shorter handle on that original BB1 was short!  I did catch one of my largest smallmouth on it and a matching Lew's rod using a Zorro Aggravator short arm spinnerbait in white/chartreuse (May, 2015).

43 minutes ago, Big-Bass said:

I just sold my Shimano Lew's BB1 Speed Spool.  It was still in great shape.  Sort of miss it but the shorter handle on that original BB1 was short!  I did catch one of my largest smallmouth on it and a matching Lew's rod using a Zorro Aggravator short arm spinnerbait in white/chartreuse (May, 2015).

I had two of the Shimano made BB1's in 1980 and sold them both. I wish I would have kept them.